Deleted
    Started to play PoE few days ago(Already 57 lvl) and i must say this game is awesome!

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if I'll still die to reflect with Flameblast regardless of using Purity of Fire, Ruby Flask, MoM and Arctic Armor....

Does the reflect damage from a huge pack of mobs come as a huge chunk of damage or as separata pieces of damage per mob hit? Mainly wondering if AA will be worth it or not.

As in... if I hit a pack of 10 reflect mobs for 1000 damage each will I get small hits of 180 damage per mob reflected or a huge hit of 1800 damage?
    Last edited by Drunkenfinn; 2013-12-27 at 11:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    I wonder if I'll still die to reflect with Flameblast regardless of using Purity of Fire, Ruby Flask, MoM and Arctic Armor....

Does the reflect damage from a huge pack of mobs come as a huge chunk of damage or as separata pieces of damage per mob hit? Mainly wondering if AA will be worth it or not.

As in... if I hit a pack of 10 reflect mobs for 1000 damage each will I get small hits of 180 damage per mob reflected or a huge hit of 1800 damage?
    It all seems to be a big chunk of damage from my experience.
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

I want to try this game, but that skill tree scares the crap out of me, just looking at it is invoking nightmares...is there anywhere there's like a guide for optimal builds or something? Since I thought I read somewhere you can't go and redo skill points, and I'm not the guy that likes to reroll just because I screwed up 1 placement, I'm the kind that gives up and quit if I have to do that. So would rather have a set path over trying to make heads and tails of that skill tree...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    I want to try this game, but that skill tree scares the crap out of me, just looking at it is invoking nightmares...is there anywhere there's like a guide for optimal builds or something? Since I thought I read somewhere you can't go and redo skill points, and I'm not the guy that likes to reroll just because I screwed up 1 placement, I'm the kind that gives up and quit if I have to do that. So would rather have a set path over trying to make heads and tails of that skill tree...
    People post builds on the official forums, under the class specific sub-forums. I have yet to use a build guide, but I hear they can be helpful.

You can look up other builds to start with, honestly spend a few minutes studying the tree and it isn't that bad. Most things are grouped together logically - intellect/spells are on top, strength/weapon skills are on bottom, projectiles are on the right near the Ranger, minions are all around the Witch, and so on. Nodes that are generally safe for all builds, like life/resists, are scattered around everywhere.

Flameblast is pretty fun, I'm in act 2 cruel so far and it still one shots even champions without any support gems. Nice to have a spell stay relevant for this long without needing so many links.

The passive skill tree is like the least complicated thing about POE. It's just big. Fairly logical in layout. Like if you look at any starting area of the tree for a minute or two it's obvious.

Interaction of active & passive skills and understanding the mechanics of combat are more obtuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it can be just because of its sheer vastness, although I kind of like that. Then again, I loved FFX's system too.

Ive just started so what was the most intimidating was the sheer number of builds that are advertised when you go look for help, as well as all the new lingo. I figure Act 1-4 on normal is for trial and error, but I enjoy the fact my fuck ups cause me death even on normal. Decided that since I love the spell caster pet playstyle type deal, witch with a zombie build would be best and that helped narrow it down.

its more the sheer amount of freedom of choice that can be kind of "um...what?" feeling, but maybe that came because I tried to do to much research before even playing the game. Darn raider mentality >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    It should be 10 small hits with leech applied between each hit (leech - hit - leech - hit and so on is the order). Note that leech is life per second though unless you have Vaal Pact so you can still kill your self if you hit enough monsters. With Vaal Pact you have to do enough damage to one individual monster to reflect your self to death from that individual hit.

At least that's how it works with Discharge for example.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    It should be 10 small hits with leech applied between each hit (leech - hit - leech - hit and so on is the order). Note that leech is life per second though unless you have Vaal Pact so you can still kill your self if you hit enough monsters. With Vaal Pact you have to do enough damage to one individual monster to reflect your self to death from that individual hit.

At least that's how it works with Discharge for example.
    Hmm... alrighty then. I was mainly wondering if Arctic Armor would help mitigating the damage somewhat. Not sure if I'll pick up Vaal Pact... though seems like I might have to :P

Deleted
    Its too bad that you can make a hybrid build using Bow and a one hand weapon so for instance you could build a ranger using bow gems and then use some melee gems when the enemy got close.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude From Denmark View Post
    Its too bad that you can make a hybrid build using Bow and a one hand weapon so for instance you could build a ranger using bow gems and then use some melee gems when the enemy got close.
    Why is it to bad that you can do that? :P

Not very practical with bow and melee but you can do what you describe with 2H spectral throw for range and 1H *insert skill preference* for melee.

I think you can make an effective build on that idea. Emphasize attack speed, physical damage or weapon elemental damage with crit & accuracy. So that you can scale both melee and ranged attack off the same variables.

Barrage and Split Arrow for ranged, Double Strike and Cleave for melee. Leap Slam, Spectral Throw &/or Decoy totem as needed. Run Anger and Ev->Ar/life.

The trick is to not select weapon specific nodes and supports, but nodes and supports that would scale any physical attack. It would likely be expensive to do. But that's fine.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-12-29 at 07:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I think you can make an effective build on that idea. Emphasize attack speed, physical damage or weapon elemental damage with crit & accuracy. So that you can scale both melee and ranged attack off the same variables.

Barrage and Split Arrow for ranged, Double Strike and Cleave for melee. Leap Slam, Spectral Throw &/or Decoy totem as needed. Run Anger and Ev->Ar/life.

The trick is to not select weapon specific nodes and supports, but nodes and supports that would scale any physical attack. It would likely be expensive to do. But that's fine.
    Sounds fun but im unsure what you mean weaponwise. I know i cant do a bow-melee build but it isnt possible either to do both Barrage, split arrow and double Strike and Cleave i assume

It's possible to use barrage, split arrow, double strike and cleave. And you can make a bow and melee build. I just told you how to do it above...

Now that I think more on it- one can use Frenzy perhaps most effectively of all for a dual bow & melee build.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-12-30 at 12:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys just gave me an idea. BRB getting my Quill Rain bow so I can use Poison Arrow + Viper Strike.

Think I would do melee/ranger hybrid something like this: link
    Keystones: Unwavering Stance, Iron Reflexes
    6L chest: Frenzy (primary skill ST for range and melee), Added Fire Damage, Faster Attacks, Weapon Elemental Damage, Blood Magic, Life Leech.
    6L bow: Split Arrow (range aoe), Added Fire Damage, Faster Attacks, Weapon Elemental Damage, Blood Magic, Life on Hit.
    6L two handed sword: Cleave (melee aoe), Added Fire Damage, Weapon Elemental Damage, Blood Magic, Faster Attacks, Life on Hit.
    4L gloves: Cast on Damage Taken, Enduring Cry, Increased Duration, Molten Shell.
    4L helm: Anger, Reduced Mana, Grace, Arctic Armor.
    4L boots: Clarity, Blood Magic, Reduced Mana, Decoy Totem.

Stat priorities would be in order; Life, Evasion, Attack Speed, Elemental Damage, Resist, Accuracy/Dexterity.

Use Frenzy as either melee or ranged for ST and to keep stacks up as much as possible. Split Arrow for aoe at range, Cleave for aoe at melee.

I would probably do it as a Templar instead of a Ranger to maximize life and "just enough" mana regen to keep Arctic Armor up as much as possible. But a Ranger can do the same basic thing with like 26% less life but more armor.

The build has like 315% life, 32% resist, 12% chaos resist and like 43% evasion. 88% weapon elemental damage (+41% flat elemental damage), 30% attack speed and flat 12% +phys - all unbuffed.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-12-30 at 01:54 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Think I would do melee/ranger hybrid something like this: link
    Keystones: Unwavering Stance, Iron Reflexes
    6L chest: Frenzy (primary skill ST for range and melee), Added Fire Damage, Faster Attacks, Weapon Elemental Damage, Blood Magic, Life Leech.
    6L bow: Split Arrow (range aoe), Added Fire Damage, Faster Attacks, Weapon Elemental Damage, Blood Magic, Life on Hit.
    6L two handed sword: Cleave (melee aoe), Added Fire Damage, Weapon Elemental Damage, Blood Magic, Faster Attacks, Life on Hit.
    4L gloves: Cast on Damage Taken, Enduring Cry, Increased Duration, Molten Shell.
    4L helm: Anger, Reduced Mana, Grace, Arctic Armor.
    4L boots: Clarity, Blood Magic, Reduced Mana, Decoy Totem.

Stat priorities would be in order; Life, Evasion, Attack Speed, Elemental Damage, Resist, Accuracy/Dexterity.

Use Frenzy as either melee or ranged for ST and to keep stacks up as much as possible. Split Arrow for aoe at range, Cleave for aoe at melee.

I would probably do it as a Templar instead of a Ranger to maximize life and "just enough" mana regen to keep Arctic Armor up as much as possible. But a Ranger can do the same basic thing with like 26% less life but more armor.

The build has like 315% life, 32% resist, 12% chaos resist and like 43% evasion. 88% weapon elemental damage (+41% flat elemental damage), 30% attack speed and flat 12% +phys - all unbuffed.
    So you´re planning to swap between bow and 2 handed weapon in fights? I dont see how this works.

So you´re planning to swap between bow and 2 handed weapon in fights? I dont see how this works.
    Strike from range and swap to melee weapon when advantageous. Or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    google "PoE offline skill calculator" and download it. You can plan out all your characters ahead of time using this. Basically its the skill tree out of game and you can mess around with it. Also it adds everything up as well. So if u want to make a crit dagger build it will list all your stats showing bonuses to dagger damage and crit chance and crit multiplier. Will also show total health nodes or energy shield nodes as well. Pretty much anything you pick will be shows. Its a great tool and everyone should have it. Also you can copy and paste in links to builds you find online and it will show you summary of the build and bonuses and stuff like that.