View Poll Results: Which GW2 race do you hate the most?

Voters
494. This poll is closed
  • Sylvari

57 11.54%
  • Norn

93 18.83%
  • Azura

144 29.15%
  • Charr

120 24.29%
  • Human

80 16.19%
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    A tie between asura and sylvari

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post

hah that face

Deleted
    Humans because they're too clean and "pretty" for me. I like the lore that they've got their arses to the wall though.

Asura purely on their attitude. I'm normally not somebody to goes "Lol i h8 the small races" but they're just so smug.

Norn males look like stretch armstrong. Don't get me wrong, I love them in the concept art but the model looks so... lazy in the game itself. That and the whole "I'm the best ever" attitude.

Sylvari look too... eastern in how the faces look, if that makes sense. I don't mean 'asian' but like... I don't want to say anime-esq but you can see where I'm coming from here. Being voiced by Gideon Emery makes up for it though.

Charr are Steve Blum played by Steve Blum voiced by Steve Blum. I think they look pretty cool, but the "run on all fours" puts me off.
    Last edited by mmoc8a29730aed; 2012-07-07 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    That and the whole "I'm the best ever" attitude.
    That applies to every race besides the sylvari.. =P
    Perhaps the humans to a lesser extent to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CHALET View Post
    Humans because they're too clean and "pretty" for me. I like the lore that they've got their arses to the wall though.

Charr are Steve Blum played by Steve Blum voiced by Steve Blum. I think they look pretty cool, but the "run on all fours" puts me off.
    Heh, Hi I am Steve Blum and I play Steve Blum. Also bolded the important part. I love races that are clean and are in clean armor (blame Minas Tirith for that) so that is why I have a fangasm for humans in gw2 (I hated humans in WoW though).

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    That applies to every race besides the sylvari.. =P
    Perhaps the humans to a lesser extent to.
    Take that back Charr scum

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Cant say I have some race I dont like, but I know I would find it hard to play any other race than asura. Asura is like perfection itself that the other races cant get close to :P
    Pretty much this.

I haven't read all 18 pages but I've read about half.

Basically people don't like Asura because they are 'arrogant' and 'rude'. I've been described as those for days and weeks and months and years. If I'm smarter than you and you say something stupid, I'm not going to let you walk away thinking you said anything but drivel. And for that I'm seen as rude so the Asura are the kindred spirits for myself in GW2.

Human lore is cool and Charr lore COULD be cool but basically why wouldn't I want to be the race that is smarter than all the others?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Davisdoesdallas View Post
    I've been described as those for days and weeks and months and years. If I'm smarter than you and you say something stupid, I'm not going to let you walk away thinking you said anything but drivel. And for that I'm seen as rude
    Not to completely derail this or anything, but while rude, that behavior is actually predominantly anti-social. It's not an act of kindness to simply smile and let someone be, it's a social normality. It's called picking your battles based on weighing the outcome. Putting someone "in their place" for seemingly no reason isn't rude, it's cause for concern.

This has been your random psychological, unwelcome fun fact for the day.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

There's also the fact that (as I mentioned before) your character being smarter than other people's characters doesn't suddenly make you not an idiot. Not saying this applies to you, but some of the people playing Asuras make me want to bash my head into a wall until I forget how stupid something they just said was.

Deleted
    There's also the fact that (as I mentioned before) your character being smarter (or larger)than other people's characters doesn't suddenly make you not an idiot. Not saying this applies to you, but some of the people playing Asuras (or any other ingame race) make me want to bash my head into a wall until I forget how stupid something they just said was.
    The italics are my own additions....but main point is, that it goes both ways.

Too, if we go by the sentiment that is predominant with in this very thread, then it really is no wonder why the Asura has started to both act and hold the other races to the extent that are being show by lore and ingame.

Quote Originally Posted by Gombar View Post
    The italics are my own additions....but main point is, that it goes both ways.

Too, if we go by the sentiment that is predominant with in this very thread, then it really is no wonder why the Asura has started to both act and hold the other races to the extent that are being show by lore and ingame.
    They didn't "start to" act that way, it's the default Asura attitude. It's part of their culture to assume their own superiority.

Have you ever really met a player who thought they were tough just because they chose a large race? I definitely haven't. However, the attitude of "I play an asura and you don't, therefore I am smarter than you" does seem to be around. I find it very irritating.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    They didn't "start to" act that way, it's the default Asura attitude. It's part of their culture to assume their own superiority.

Have you ever really met a player who thought they were tough just because they chose a large race? I definitely haven't. However, the attitude of "I play an asura and you don't, therefore I am smarter than you" does seem to be around. I find it very irritating.
    It might not have been as prominent when they first came up from their ruined cities, but over the years it would have been solidified by the gereral reception. And yes, I have met a few players that thought that they were better/tougher from having chosen a larger race. Sad but true.

And that attitude that you speak of isn't that normal, at most I have come across it only a few times, where as I only have to open this forum to see the general bashing of the Asura time and time again. I too find that very irritating, even bordering on stupidity from the reasons given....

Deleted
    My WOW gnome was bashed many times for being a gnome by other players with (by default) larger races. I have counted ONE person in this thread saying he choose Asuran because he felt was smarter then most people.....and now this suddenly is the general attitude of Asuran players? Come on, Asura bashing is all around.

I play Asuran because I like to play Asuran, I think they are interesting. Thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
    My WOW gnome was bashed many times for being a gnome by other players with (by default) larger races. I have counted ONE person in this thread saying he choose Asuran because he felt was smarter then most people.....and now this suddenly is the general attitude of Asuran players?
    You haven't been on GW2 related forums much, have you. =P
    Anyways, a large reason of the gnome bashing in WoW was due to the developers themselves welcoming and encouraging that attitude. The only people who made gnome punting jokes as much as the community was Blizzard themselves. Anet takes their races seriously, so any Asura bashing is completely on the part of the player as oppose to the developers making a joke out of them. Not saying it's bad or good to do that, just saying that Anet doesn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
    My WOW gnome was bashed many times for being a gnome by other players with (by default) larger races. I have counted ONE person in this thread saying he choose Asuran because he felt was smarter then most people.....and now this suddenly is the general attitude of Asuran players? Come on, Asura bashing is all around.

I play Asuran because I like to play Asuran, I think they are interesting. Thats it.
    I never said it was the "general attitude", or anything that could be read that way.

Deleted

I think we need to separate "Asura" from "player" here.

If we're talking about the Asura, as in the in-game race developed by Arenanet for the Guild Wars franchise, they've really got cause to be condescending. I'll give two quick points on why this is the case - there are probably more, but I'll let someone with more knowledge on the lore from books and such state those, if they need to be brought up at all.

First is the fact that Asura society is naturally competitive. They are taught from a young age that in order to get attention and praise, they need to be better than their peers. This breeds conflict (which is not the same as animosity), and leads to Asura generally not trusting others, especially not when their own prestige is in danger due to it, both within and outside the Asura community. Further, from a young age, this breeds the need to one-up their equals to gain prestige on their part, often doing so with jabs and other expressions that are in the nature of competition. An Asura is less likely to feel "hurt" due to this, and is much more likely to use jabs and "hurtful" comments towards others, Asura or not. It's part of who they are. It's comparable to how a child who grew up in a certain environment might use a lot of swear words, and another child who's been raised in a completely different environment might take great offense to that. The swearing child doesn't do it to be mean; he's just used to it.

Second, no other race is as technologically advanced as the Asura. This is a fact. No other race builds megalasers and floating cities. The closest would be the Charr, but if the Asura were to represent near-future technology, Charr are the industrial revolution, while the rest of the races are in the dark ages. I'm not saying the Asura are more intelligent because of that, but they are clearly more technologically advanced, lending credibility to their view of other races as muscle-bound idiots (exaggeration).

Now, if we're talking about "players", as in the people around the real world spending time enjoying a computer game... there are idiots everywhere. Until proven otherwise, idiots should be assumed to be evenly spread across all five races. You can't uniformly say "oh, all idiots play Asura and all Asura are idiots", nor is that a reasonable foundation for disliking the race. Or, in some more overly used words... hate the player, not the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Now, if we're talking about "players", as in the people around the real world spending time enjoying a computer game... there are idiots everywhere. Until proven otherwise, idiots should be assumed to be evenly spread across all five races. You can't uniformly say "oh, all idiots play Asura and all Asura are idiots", nor is that a reasonable foundation for disliking the race. Or, in some more overly used words... hate the player, not the game.
    No one said anything of the sort. We're not talking about people who play Asura, we're talking about people who use Asura as an excuse to be condescending.

Deleted
    No one said anything of the sort. We're not talking about people who play Asura, we're talking about people who use Asura as an excuse to be condescending.
    All right, must've missed that shift in my skimming. Turns out skimming is a sub-optimal way to read. Who knew?

I can't say I've noticed anyone using the in-game race as some manner of reasoning behind talking down to others, but like I mentioned in another thread somewhere, most commonly percieved or non-harsh insults don't register with me.

Once again, I did not say this or anything like it. I said the attitude is around, which it is. I never claimed anything about all or most asura players.

As for disliking the race, they are written to be arrogant, believing themselves to be naturally superior and that all other races will eventually serve them. It's hardly surprising that a lot of people find them annoying.

Deleted
    All right, must've missed that shift in my skimming. Turns out skimming is a sub-optimal way to read. Who knew?

I can't say I've noticed anyone using the in-game race as some manner of reasoning behind talking down to others, but like I mentioned in another thread somewhere, most commonly percieved or non-harsh insults don't register with me.
    At most I have seen some jabs or banter with or between friends or fellow guildies/posters. All in the sense of tongue in cheek and fun. No more.

My least favorite is Charr. They're big, and ugly. They're shortly followed by Norn and Asura, for similar reasoning.