Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedragonwolf View Post
    We've moved off topic by a margin and a half, but let me just reiterate that GW2 in game recipes are based on real world ones. The only difference is that they will be simplified to an extent. In cooking, everything uses salt for example, and aside from baking, pretty much everything uses pepper. And butter. I think honestly, you might be surprised if you were to, instead, take the recipe name and look for its real world equivalent (which from the number of recipes in game I've seen, are accurate) and cook that instead. I only say this because in real world cooking you can't just combine 4 ingredients and make a dish for a majority of recipes (obviously there are dishes that work that way; omlettes, eggs, some chicken dishes, etc...).
    Orly well http://www.4ingredients.com.au/ would like a word with you, and also Challenge accepted!

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Orly well http://www.4ingredients.com.au/ would like a word with you, and also Challenge accepted!
    Well, while a couple of the recipes on that site are indeed 4 ingredients; you have to account for what those ingredients are. For example, the first recipe under their chicken recipes is a "Creamy Pesto Chicken Gnocchi." You have to take into account two ingredients. The first being a pre-made pesto sauce. The second being some pre-made Gnocchi. Both of these alone take at least 4 ingredients to make themselves (Pesto being Basil, Olive Oil, Garlic, Pine Nuts, and Parmesan Cheese: Gnocchi being a pasta made from Potato, Flour, Oil, Eggs and sometimes water, not to mention the water to cook the Gnocchi in). It's also using chicken that's already been cooked (hence is should be seasoned with salt and pepper).

Now that's a more "involved" recipe if you're doing everything from scratch (by the way, homemade Pesto sauces can't be beat), and there are recipes that are much less "involved;" any grilling for example uses much less, unless we're talking a whole plate including side dishes. But the above recipe demonstrates my point really well. In the game, the cooking is going to be more akin to "Scratch kitchens." Where everything is made from scratch in the kitchen itself. You get the raw ingredients (in this case either from a vendor or from harvesting in GW2, or the AH), you first make your pasta using the raw materials, then you make the pesto, then you make the final dish.

And I did say there are recipes in the real world that use 4 or less ingredients; but in this whole big ol' world, and the millions of recipes that go along with that space, the majority of them use more than 4. I do encourage anyone who wants to, to find and cook something that you might make in game. Cooking at home is something that is disappearing more and more these days.

Also, Cherry, take a look at http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chef Look at a lot of whats there in that, so far incomplete, list. Roux (butter and flour) which is used to thicken things like soups and sauces. You'll see pie fillings, and stuffings. You'll see a whole list of seasonings. Under snacks you'll see... Chicken Stock? Yeah that's the base liquid for things like chicken soup and a lot of other soups and sauces.

A-net has called it's Chef Discipline, as quoted:
    Originally posted by Linsey Murdock
    Cooking is considered our advanced craft. It will cost you more money, karma, and time traveling the world than any other crafting discipline.

Pro Tip: Every cooking recipe in Guild Wars 2 is a real recipe for real food in real life (or a basic approximation). If you think you are close to figuring out one of the combinations, google a recipe for the food you suspect it might be, and odds are, you can find a bunch of recipes for things like that to try out.
    Edit: I just realized how long that post was, and how very much offtopic this conversation is. My apologies to the mods for the massive offtopic. I do have plans to start or be a major part of a Cooking thread in these forums come launch (perhaps starting around BWE3 even), but I don't want to start it before we have the game in hand to go experiment with regarding this discipline. If this massive offtopic would be better off removed from the thread please do so.
    Last edited by Bluedragonwolf; 2012-07-08 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Considering the info about the new EQ is limited, I assume it won't be released for a while?
    Years away most likely. The last info we had publicly about it was like a year ago.

The only information I heard was they are working on building the fundamental game engine. 2 year old screen shots floating around are supposedly way out of date compared to the new engine SOE is building. Supposedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah Bluedragon thanks for the rant and tips, however i am, 34 and have been cooking since i was a kid.. i know how to make stock, soup, roux, pesto etc and so on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Yeah Bluedragon thanks for the rant and tips, however i am, 34 and have been cooking since i was a kid.. i know how to make stock, soup, roux, pesto etc and so on.
    Can you make quiche i love quiche.