Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are the Kvaldir somewhat related to the mists which had shrouded pandaria?

Now i've seem a lot of speculation threads about who is actually behind the mists which had once shrouded pandaria, but none of which that i have seen have made the suggestion that the breifly mentioned Kvaldir in Wrath of the lich king could be behind the mists. Its clearly shown to us in the short questline in Borean Tundra that they have control over mist, and use it as a weapon to take over the small pal'ea Tuskar village.

I know people are going to suggest that all Vry'kul live in northrend, but we have already been shown a tuskar who lives in pandaria, i could seriously see the Kvaldir being behind the mists, and i really love Vry'kul as a whole, so it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I for one would love for n'zoth to be behind everything, but despite my own preferences, how would people react if the Kvaldir were used as new major enemies, with major storylines and raids in later patches?

I apologise if a thread has already been made regarding this.
    Last edited by Nibelheimy; 2012-07-03 at 11:32 PM.

Deleted
    Just quickly throwing it out there that there are Vrykul in Vash'ir as well. I haven't completed the quests in Vash'ir so I don't know if they are actually disguised Naga or something, but I find that a little unlikely anyway.

Personally I hope not and I hope we never have to see any Vrykul/Kvaldir ever again. I find them very boring and they are one of my least favorite races in this game.

Deleted
    Not just in the Tundra. There's a small subsection of Icecrown known as Hrothgar's Landing. IT's definitely intriguing, but I guess it's pretty unlikely unless we hear otherwise.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, we've been told somewhere that the mist was created by a Titan cloaking device that was damaged by the Cataclysm. A lame excuse if you ask me, but it works. Btw, we've already seen the kvaldir outside Northrend in Vash'jir, so why not... I hope they are connected. Right now the speculation is pointless.

I asked this on the queue over at wowinsider a few months ago but was told no. not that they know 1 way or another i'm sure. but that was the answer I got.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Well, we've been told somewhere that the mist was created by a Titan cloaking device that was damaged by the Cataclysm. A lame excuse if you ask me, but it works. Btw, we've already seen the kvaldir outside Northrend in Vash'jir, so why not... I hope they are connected. Right now the speculation is pointless.
    I was under the impression that the mists had been summoned by the last pandaren emperor to shroud Pandaria from the Burning Legion.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, we've been told somewhere that the mist was created by a Titan cloaking device that was damaged by the Cataclysm. A lame excuse if you ask me, but it works.
    The Titan cloaking device was Uldum, not Pandaria. The mists around Pandaria were created by a spell cast by the last emperor, if I'm remembering right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, we've been told somewhere that the mist was created by a Titan cloaking device that was damaged by the Cataclysm.
    That sounds like a reference to Uldum and its mysterious appearance in the wake of the Cataclysm. The mists that hide Pandaria were conjured 10,000 years ago during the first attack of the Burning Legion.

The origin of the kvaldir hasn't been explored yet, to my knowledge, but they serve Neptulon - the mist could be some kind of water magic blessing of his. My theory is that the kvaldir were slumbering vrykul whose crypts were flooded or sank - in slumber they absorbed the power of water and became servants of Neptulon.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    That sounds like a reference to Uldum and its mysterious appearance in the wake of the Cataclysm. The mists that hide Pandaria were conjured 10,000 years ago during the first attack of the Burning Legion.

The origin of the kvaldir hasn't been explored yet, to my knowledge, but they serve Neptulon - the mist could be some kind of water magic blessing of his. My theory is that the kvaldir were slumbering vrykul whose crypts were flooded or sank - in slumber they absorbed the power of water and became servants of Neptulon.
    I know they were enemies of the Naga in Vashj'ir, but was a connection ever explicitly established between Neptulon and the Kvaldir?
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    I know they were enemies of the Naga in Vashj'ir, but was a connection ever explicitly established between Neptulon and the Kvaldir?
    I don't think so. They do however have a grudge against the Naga.

The Mists were put up by the Last Pandaren Emperor as a way to protect the continent from the Sundering when the Well of Eternity exploded. As what exactly the Mists are, I don't think we know for sure(I assume Pandaren "magic" as one of the monk specs is indeed a "Mistweaver").

I don't think what brought them down as been covered either, although I believe it was hinted that it had to do with the fall of Deathwing (leading to rumors that it may have been a Titanic defense, disabling at the same time the Aspects were stripped of their powers) Again, that's merely speculation.

More on-topic, I think it highly unlikely that the Kvaldir have anything to do with Pandaria, although i don't think for a second that we've seen the last of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yulinora View Post
    The Mists were put up by the Last Pandaren Emperor as a way to protect the continent from the Sundering when the Well of Eternity exploded. As what exactly the Mists are, I don't think we know for sure(I assume Pandaren "magic" as one of the monk specs is indeed a "Mistweaver").

I don't think what brought them down as been covered either, although I believe it was hinted that it had to do with the fall of Deathwing (leading to rumors that it may have been a Titanic defense, disabling at the same time the Aspects were stripped of their powers) Again, that's merely speculation.

More on-topic, I think it highly unlikely that the Kvaldir have anything to do with Pandaria, although i don't think for a second that we've seen the last of them.
    It's because the Alliance and Horde messing up in Pandaria (with the release of the Sha and the opening of many closed zones) that the mists come down. We simply get there by chance.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The mist is hinted to as being part of a pact made with *something* by the last Pandaren emperor shortly before the War of the Ancients. It has nothing to do with the Titans. Kvaldir are loyal to Neptulon, their mastery over the mists is probably something granted to them by Neptulon's command over water and ice.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It was once a thought as to what the mists mean. But no, not a single Kvaldir is on Pandaria.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    The Titan cloaking device was Uldum, not Pandaria. The mists around Pandaria were created by a spell cast by the last emperor, if I'm remembering right.
    Lulz on that... You mean they cant see a "huge" continent just because there is mist around. Nobody wonders what is behind the mist?

Deleted
    Maybe 10,000 years ago the emperor made a deal with neptulon? and since he was kidnapped och the naga now control the waters..Perhaps the naga removed the mist because they wanted us to find pandaria?

Really loving the feedback here..

I think the concept that Kvaldir are servants of neptulon is brilliant, and the idea that the last pandaren emperor made the pact with him to shroud pandaria would really fit now that neptulon has well, been kidnapped by Ashara.

I was really disapointed with the lack of an abyssal maw raid.. but i'm really getting into the idea that it could be more focused on with an expansion after pandaria, and in my eyes would do the whole Ashara and Nuptulon story more justice than a single raid would.

They are possibly related, on Pandaria there are these Mistlurker guys. http://www.wowpedia.org/Mistlurker they look creepy.

[Rest will contain Spoiler]

These Guys appear to have some intelligence, there's a quest in Townlong steppes where you have to help a tribe of them that they won't be used by the Yaungol, so far only one of them was able to speak with you.
    They can use this mist for some sort of healing them, and they appear only in swamp / misty zones throughout Pandaria.
    They also drop often on grey item called "Vial of swirling mist".

And most importantly, if they die, their body dissipates except those Seaweed hairs (Similiar to the Kvaldir).
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2012-07-04 at 12:22 PM.

Wasn't the Mist erected by the Emperor when he tore Pandaria from Kalimdor to protect it from the Sundering..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    They are possibly related, on Pandaria there are these Mistlurker guys. http://www.wowpedia.org/Mistlurker they look creepy.

[Rest will contain Spoiler]

These Guys appear to have some intelligence, there's a quest in Townlong steppes where you have to help a tribe of them that they won't be used by the Yaungol, so far only one of them was able to speak with you.
    They can use this mist for some sort of healing them, and they appear only in swamp / misty zones throughout Pandaria.
    They also drop often on grey item called "Vial of swirling mist".

And most importantly, if they die, their body dissipates except those Seaweed hairs (Similiar to the Kvaldir).
    This i find very interesting, and i really hope its not just a simple coincidence.