Poll: Should we still have to pay full retail prices for digital games?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    its hard to believe its not already taxed and the price is built in like at movie theaters
    I may be wrong, but I believe it isn't taxed simply because it is notoriously difficult for any law to be made applicable to the internet. It truly is one of the few truly 'free' places in our society, though admittedly that is becoming less and less of a truth as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Taenathal View Post
    Well for one thing, it pretty much eliminates the ability to trade in a game for some quick cash which has been a huge part of the gaming sub-culture for as long as I can remember and even before it. This'll serve to alienate a lot of people, especially since I know a lot of gamers who are tight for cash and rely on second hand games to fuel their hobby. It'll also have a negative impact on sites such as Steam if price fixing comes into play, though it's also likely EA may refuse to allow other sites to present digital downloads for their games at all.

As someone else pointed out, this will likely have a huge impact on shipping and manufacturing jobs - especially if it ends up becoming a trend. It's ridiculous how we're coming to rely more and more on technology despite the simple fact that the more we do, the less we leave available for job opportunities in a world increasingly populated.
    steam will keep up the sales and laugh as EA crashes and burns from having overpriced exclusives as no one will actually WANT to work with EA making for a very poor selection from EA's store
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

a) supply doesnt work that way... also you can still overload servers at a popular launch.

b) to say its simply about the boxes produced is beyond simplistic. its about shipping, storage, manufacturing plants that make the boxes and cds. a lot would have to be laid off/trim the fat. theres also production costs so ya, you still need enough to demand to recoup the expenditures like employe wages which they cant keep forcing down forever if they want talent. also ET failed because it didnt sell, as has been pointed out producing the physical game and box is cheap, productions costs are the real problem. and as has be pointed out and EA has flat out stated they will never lower the prices.

c) "only EA is big enough to try to be unbending and controlling while maybe having the demand but it..might work? im holding my breath since EA doesnt have a lot more than momentum going for it " or in other words only EA has the momentum to try and do things their way and never falter but i question how well it will work but EA doesnt have a long list of advantages that will keep ppl buying from them
    *sigh*

You're debating against points I never raised.

a) Yes you can overload servers at popular launch. That's a problem with individual company's network and server infrastructure than it is with digital delivery. I'm not sure what you mean by "supply doesn't work that way". Doesn't work what way?

b) Yes. Whilst trying to suggest that I only said it's about boxes being produced (which I didn't) you've given a load more reasons why it is beneficial to deliver digital content. You can cut out all of the costs of "shipping, storage, manufacturing plants that makes the boxes and cds".

c) This is opinion so I have no interest in responding.

Well for one thing, it pretty much eliminates the ability to trade in a game for some quick cash which has been a huge part of the gaming sub-culture for as long as I can remember and even before it. This'll serve to alienate a lot of people, especially since I know a lot of gamers who are tight for cash and rely on second hand games to fuel their hobby. It'll also have a negative impact on sites such as Steam if price fixing comes into play, though it's also likely EA may refuse to allow other sites to present digital downloads for their games at all.

As someone else pointed out, this will likely have a huge impact on shipping and manufacturing jobs - especially if it ends up becoming a trend. It's ridiculous how we're coming to rely more and more on technology despite the simple fact that the more we do, the less we leave available for job opportunities in a world increasingly populated.
    Different point of views I guess. I don't agree with 2nd hand games. If developer does a good job, it is only fair he gets paid for it. End of story. These underhand trades where you refuse to accept their price, but still want to use their product ... I am not a fan. And that shipping and manufacturing jobs may be affected, I would rather have more developer studios making games than more shipping companies.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    Need better internet to download 10gb games. Costs more money.
    Therefore Digital games should cost less money.

I hate you EA sometimes. You money thieving rats.
    Download stuff throughout the night............

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Different point of views I guess. I don't agree with 2nd hand games. If developer does a good job, it is only fair he gets paid for it. End of story. These underhand trades where you refuse to accept their price, but still want to use their product ... I am not a fan. And that shipping and manufacturing jobs may be affected, I would rather have more developer studios making games than more shipping companies.
    To be blunt, though...the only thing stopping 'more games' is corporate greed. If something sells, it's exploited and milked dry. Many niche titles do not even see the light of day because of this. By your logic, no one should be purchasing second hand clothes, phones, or memorabilia. Ignoring the demand for such things is never going to end well. Companies existing to make money doesn't justify ridiculous prices and a reliance on gimmicks, either.
    Last edited by mmoc454417f773; 2012-07-05 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Problem with an Article like that is they completely devalue the physical time that was spent on games back then compared to now.

Take RPG-like on the 64 system for example: Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Ocarina of Time ETC. All of these games when you factor in Inflation MAY have cost more or just as much as your average $60 game nowadays, but they easily consumed far more of your time.

The Witcher 2 is one of my favourite games of all time atm, but even that if you do EVERY Quest, Search every corner of the world, talk to every person and not skip a single bit of dialogue... It would still only be maybe a 30-50 hour game (50 is probably even being generous). A game like Super Mario 64 was easily 200+ Hours for the same thing. Donkey Kong 64 again would have been easily 100-200+ hours and Ocarina of time the same.

The only $60 game that even comes close to matching that Value for Dollar is Skyrim. Exploring the entirety of Skyrim (This goes for Morrowind and Oblivion as well) is Hundreds upon Hundreds of Hours.

It's never as simple as just saying, "Oh well this game WITH Inflation was actually More expensive then what you pay today, SO STOP WHINING!" ... Hours per Dollar for games back then were FAR more valuable, even with Inflation.

Of course none of that really matters a whole lot being an Australian, N64 games were $70-100 from retailers back then... Average game now is still $70-100.. It's why I personally prefer digital Distribution so I can actually get my games at a respectable price, $60 US dollars is a steal ... But Fuck EA in general, doesn't really matter I'm never buying another of their games ever again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Sigh. if this becomes popular i may have to give up gaming.
    This, I love to have boxes of all my collections of games over the years, booklets, box art, collector's editions etc.

b) to say its simply about the boxes produced is beyond simplistic. its about shipping, storage, manufacturing plants that make the boxes and cds. a lot would have to be laid off/trim the fat. theres also production costs so ya, you still need enough to demand to recoup the expenditures like employe wages which they cant keep forcing down forever if they want talent. also ET failed because it didnt sell, as has been pointed out producing the physical game and box is cheap, productions costs are the real problem. and as has be pointed out and EA has flat out stated they will never lower the prices.
    I seriously doubt EA actually produces all that stuff. They probably outsource it to other companies.

OT, no, games shouldn't be cheaper now. If you want cheaper games, do something about it yourself (i.e. mobilize gamers worldwide to boycott EA, so that they actually take a revenue hit and therefore have to reduce prices). Don't expect companies to simply give you cheaper stuff, as that's not what they're created for...

Deleted
    Well, supply & demand applies here. Theoretically, we should get cheaper games since the process of delivering them becomes cheaper.
    If the games do not get noticeably cheaper, even by a few bucks, we always have the choice of not buying them in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    This, I love to have boxes of all my collections of games over the years, booklets, box art, collector's editions etc.
    Same here, actually. I avoid collector's editions like the plague these days, though. On average, the base price for one is now £120 despite being £60 a few years ago. It's not as if there's suddenly a huge change in what they're offering, either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skum View Post
    Not really. Prices are set on supply and demand. By utilising digital distribution EA can control the supply. If the game/franchise is strong enough there will be demand.

Sure, it would be nice if we saw some savings but there's no "should" involved. They're a business and like most good businesses their main goals are to maximise profit margins and increase market share. Why do people have such an issue with this? All businesses are always looking to increase efficiency within their supply chain; this doesn't mean consumer has a right to discount. Why sell something for £29.99 when they know they can make more revenue selling at £34.99?

I personally prefer digital downloads. Steam is great for someone like me who likes to delve in and out of games once in a while. If I fancy installing something I can double-click and it will download nearly as fast as a normal DVD installation but with less fuss.
    But when we digitally download, We are using OUR internet usage to download the game we have ALREADY purchased. Where as you, Im sure you know but when you buy the physical game you dont have to download the game only patch small parts if necessary.

I understand where your coming from too

Deleted
    First of all: Games here normally cost 50 euros when they are new, EA games mostly cost 40. And secondly, it's not like steam games are any cheaper than normally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    We have to pay 80-90$ here in Australia.. and the dollar is only like 20cent different. So maybe that article is relevant to you. but no me or us in Aussie.

To be blunt, though...the only thing stopping 'more games' is corporate greed. If something sells, it's exploited and milked dry. Many niche titles do not even see the light of day because of this. By your logic, no one should be purchasing second hand clothes, phones, or memorabilia. Ignoring the demand for such things is never going to end well. Companies existing to make money doesn't justify ridiculous prices and a reliance on gimmicks, either.
    What ridiculous prices ... if you consider 60 bucks for a game too much, just buy a book instead. Don't say it's too expensive ... now I have to steal it/resell it/buy it 2nd hand.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Digital distribution should always always cost less. With all the savings on shipping and packaging, the savings should be passed onto the customer. However, instead of that, the $60-70 price tag is usually maintained in some kind of fit of baboonish stupidity. There is absolutely no point in paying full price for data when you can get a physical copy, that comes with some kind of concept of ownership, for the same price...

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets not forget the part when they try to sell you the other half of the game 3 months later -_-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    What ridiculous prices ... if you consider 60 bucks for a game too much, just buy a book instead. Don't say it's too expensive ... now I have to steal it/resell it/buy it 2nd hand.
    You're not making much sense. I'm sure most people will agree that the price of games has been steadily rising. You're once again making light of the huge demand and sub-culture of second hand trading which covers pretty much everything. People have been trading what they own since the dawn of time, so something 'not being brand new' is hardly an issue for most people so long as the product serves its intended purpose.

Does this mean the shelfs wont be cluttering with the utter trash of hockey mlb nba and nfl 2k whatevertheyear is? Cus if so i support this move by EA, clean up our game shelfs of unwanted crap.

Besides the packaging and disc most likely only cost about 5 bucks, not that much savings.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    never bought an EA game since they destroyed the best MMORPG ever made