Poll: Should we still have to pay full retail prices for digital games?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    This might be a bit off-topic

What if I don't have internet? What if some people have ridiculously slow internet which would cause them to have to wait a few days just to download all of the data? I'd rather still have the CDs and the boxes so I can pick up the game and play instantly instead of going 100% digital. Some people don't have/can't afford blazing fast internet speed for things like this.

Me for example:
    Hah, I always knew Cox sucked... but wow, that is really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    Book publishers get 0, car manufacturers get 0, music get 0, furniture get 0. Why are video game publishers special? You want to shut down a whole workforce, so they can get more "fund for new products"? In quotes for sarcasm, it wouldn't go for new products, they want more money. Money grubbing.
    So you think if you enjoy something developer creates, when they want you to pay them for it, they are being greedy ?

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Just look at book sales, If a book costs 12.99 in a bookstore then you can also find it on the Nook or Iphone for 12.99 as well. Shouldn't the online book be cheaper since no trees were used to create the book? Shouldn't it be cheaper because a printer wasn't used to make thousands of books? No shipping of product to stores? All you have to do is have one person convert a text file into your online store and walla, millions of people can get thier copy of a book without producers of books having to pay for any overhead beyond a web designer and a server.

Should the book be cheaper? Hell yes it should. Is it going to be cheaper? Hell no, money money money.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Just look at book sales, If a book costs 12.99 in a bookstore then you can also find it on the Nook or Iphone for 12.99 as well. Shouldn't the online book be cheaper since no trees were used to create the book? Shouldn't it be cheaper because a printer wasn't used to make thousands of books? No shipping of product to stores? All you have to do is have one person convert a text file into your online store and walla, millions of people can get thier copy of a book without producers of books having to pay for any overhead beyond a web designer and a server.

Should the book be cheaper? Hell yes it should. Is it going to be cheaper? Hell no, money money money.
    If the digital version of a game was cheaper then no one would buy it in the shops. Then shops would stop stocking those games, and the publishers lose an avenue or revenue. Shops have said that if digital distribution services price them out of market they will stop stocking all of that publishers game.

Now if EA stop producing physical media so this problem cannot arise, people are wondering if they will drop the price since the threat of shops not stocking their titles is no longer existent. However I doubt they would, because they are money grubbing assholes.
    RETH

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    If they'd make download cheaper than box price, fewer people would buy boxes. If barely anyone buys boxes, retailers would just remove them from shelves or move them to back of shelves. EA would lose a lot of customers, such as people buying games for kids on birthdays/xmas/whatever.

There is no benefit at all to lower price on digital downloads.
    Except for, you know... paying less for it. Just that one.

Anyway, EA will sell this as a "convenience" tax. It's more convenient for you to download the game on Origin, therefore you must pay a higher price for that convenience. We're doing you a favor, after all.

Fuck EA.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    With no limit on supply, and demand being there thanks to excessive marketing bullsh*t, prices will only rise. They won't drop because CEO's can never have enough Ivory ballscratchers.
    I want an ivory ball scratcher... just so I can hit someone with it.

EA is being retarded as it alienates people and really annoys the middle man retailer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voted option 3.

But on topic, honestly i dont think we will get games cheaper anymore. And while EA etc grabs a lot of money as profit, i still think they rightfully get that profit.
    I mean lets be honest without providing the game developers with enough money they will quickly die a painful death.

On the other side EA also has said they want to go 100% free to play if you combine those statements it makes a lot of sense you will get a lot of cash shop.. well all games will get cash shops in the future. And will become free to play, maybe some indie games a side and some pure single player games. But everything that has a multiplayer component will in the next 10 or so years convert from buy for the game to free to play with cash shop. And then a system that is digital download only makes a lot of sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea it doesn't surprise me. Look it's been heading this way for a long time now. I remember when games came with multiple cds and big bulky manuals filled with crap. To much overhead and they want to squeeze as much money as they can out of it because their not sure they can raise the price on a box copy and not have people throw a fit.

meh, it's EA, what did you expect

only if they calculate they make more money in the long run by more sales
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

IMO Digital Downloads should be cheaper in the first place, since we no longer have to pay for the cost of materials (Disks, cases, and cost to make said items). The problem is that in the current market where consoles still use disk based games makes a digital only impossible. Not to mention the thousands of people without a fast/stable enough internet connection to download or deal with the DRMs.

That quote doesn't say they're going 100% digital. It says they're selling the games direct to you at full price, so they can keep more of the money, as well as charging you more than you pay at a store. And they're telling us that like they're proud of it.

EA: Shafting you left, right and centre. And you love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    This might be a bit off-topic

What if I don't have internet? What if some people have ridiculously slow internet which would cause them to have to wait a few days just to download all of the data? I'd rather still have the CDs and the boxes so I can pick up the game and play instantly instead of going 100% digital. Some people don't have/can't afford blazing fast internet speed for things like this.

Me for example:
    I hope you dont pay for that, You need to call your company and tell them to get thier shit in order, or get better net, Its no one but your own fault you dont have net that can handle it.