10+ Year Old Account

Space empire game?

Hello!

So I stumbled upon a trailer for Endless Space few minutes ago and really liked it until I found it's turn based..

Are all space empire/warfare games like that (you build empire, battle ships etc) turn based? If not, could you mention some? I like the concept of those games and would like to play some without turns slowing me down ^^
    Oh delicious muffins, I bow thee!

closest to what ur lookin for that i can think of is Sins of a Solar Empire

Endless Space does look kinda nifty...

If you've not played Master of Orion to death, or don't know what it is, you could probably still find a copy Master of Orion 1/2 (turn-based) or Master of Orion 3 (real-time) somewhere out there...
    Also, there's Pax Imperia - but it came when I was too heavy with classes in school, and never got into it, so I can't tell you much about it.
    They are older so they won't be as pretty as Endless Space, though the game-play is challenging, and can give you a good run.
    Spacebar spacebar spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar click-selection spacebar spacebar dark-side.

Deleted
    Mmmm...master of orion. Lord, how I played the crap outta that game. I think a friend brought a copy of MOO with him to my house one day when we were in our teens (~20 years ago, it must be) with no real idea of what it was and we ended up doing a 15hr marathon well into the wee hours of the morning before my parents bollixed us out and told us to go to bed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deliria View Post
    liked it until I found it's turn based..
    without turns slowing me down ^^
    Strategy games are not for you.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    Um, no.

You can have strategy in real time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    You can have strategy in real time.
    Those are called RTS games.

Those are called RTS games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Real-time strategy (RTS) is a sub-genre of strategy video game which does not progress incrementally in turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Strategy video games is a video game genre that emphasizes skillful thinking and planning to achieve victory.[1] They emphasize strategic, tactical, and sometimes logistical challenges. Many games also offer economic challenges and exploration.
    Congratulations.

10+ Year Old Account
    RTS + Empire building = Stardrive

Quote Originally Posted by Deliria View Post
    Hello!

So I stumbled upon a trailer for Endless Space few minutes ago and really liked it until I found it's turn based..

Are all space empire/warfare games like that (you build empire, battle ships etc) turn based? If not, could you mention some? I like the concept of those games and would like to play some without turns slowing me down ^^
    Don't know how turns slow anyone down.... RTS games are too arcade like for me. Still Sins of the Solar Empire might be more in line.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Congratulations.
    You sure can use Wikipedia, but fail to see radical gameplay differences between the two genres. Congratulations.

I bought sins when it was cheap but havent really played much of it. It's quite difficult, but I really suck at automating fleet construction. Mainly because I see a fleet as a preset number of balanced ships, depending on the fleets purpose. For sins it's just pile all your ships into one fleet and go and kill everyone.
    RETH

You sure can use Wikipedia, but fail to see radical gameplay differences between the two genres. Congratulations.
    "Strategy" isn't a specific genre if that's what you're trying to say. "Strategy" is more general, while the two genres you're talking about here are "turn-based strategy" and "real time strategy". Both are still "strategy" games.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, just strategy isn't a genre itself, but its commonly used to refer to the grand strategy genre of games. And those are turn-based. RTS are actually more about tactics than strategy. Both kinds of games require different skills and playstyle. What you guys are doing is like treating all first person games as the same, basing only on the viewpoint. Strategy games and RTS don't really have much in common despite both having strategy in their names.

Well, just strategy isn't a genre itself, but its commonly used to refer to the grand strategy genre of games. And those are turn-based. RTS are actually more about tactics than strategy. Both kinds of games require different skills and playstyle. What you guys are doing is like treating all first person games as the same, basing only on the viewpoint. Strategy games and RTS don't really have much in common despite both having strategy in their names.
    Turn-based strategy games aren't called Strategy games. They're called Turn-based strategy.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    there is 1 game that i know but dosen't run well on W7 called "haegemonia" i wasted a lot of time on that :P