Page 1 of 3
LastLast

GW2 VS WOW, need lots of input (GW player especially)

So im a long time wow player, i want to give u a idea of my impression of wow so you understand what i give points for and how i rate a game. (i do aplogize for how long this is, but i feel like people wont be able to understand what it is that makes wow so good to me, and thus wont be able to tell me if they think GW AND GW2 would satisfy me)

Started playing wow in my teens with the typical teen thought... wow.. this is GAY!.. yet it was my first MMO so i wasent expecting what was to come.. my first surprise was, while i started with a orc hunter i was quickly getting bored as i plowed through stupid quests which i didnt even bother to read cuz it wasent interesting to know about my place in the world of orcs and my duty and such.. but when i began getting different skills this began to get interesting... so #1 ABILITIES

shortly after at level 10 when firing different arrows and strungling to survive when i pulled more then 1 monster, since as a hunter my melee was crap and couldent get range to fire, i was given a pet as part of a quest.. was a boar and i thought wow, this pet in handy, kinda sucks that its just a fat pig.. then i learned i could pick whatever pet i wanted! ok at that point i was impressed #2 PICK YOUR POISON (wide range of choices)

#2 impressed me because most games i had played up to that point didnt let you pick anything that was a extra like a pet and in wow i could which was nice, but picking between crap and shit just isent all that great.... so from boar i went to raptor, which would be nice if it wasent the tiny kind, honestly how is my orc bigger then the raptor? at around level 12 i found a crocdile.. tamed him and was pretty happen till i crossed over to the barrens.. first off i was shocked.. the world was HUGE.. tooks me hours to get through levels 1-12 and i didnt even explore it all so when i realized i wasent even scratching the surfice of WOW i was pleasantly shocked so #3 SUPERSIZE MY WORLD

it wasent long before i realized in this supersized world that was available to me in world of warcraft was much like the real world with each area being compleatly unique and what was impressing me in the first place continued to improve, better skills and more choices to make from a wide range of possibilities this is where i entered WC, a instance, after taming my, at the time coolest pet yet, a regular male lion of the barrens lol. WC pretty much rocked my gaming world.. 4 other real players and I began to work as a team to take down the enemy, and based on how good we were we got through it. so #4 INSTANCES

#5 came at the same time really, gear.... it was endless i did WC like 10 times in a row.. all that awesome blue leather gear with tons of agi was perfect for a nooby hunter like me. soo #5 GEAR CHOICES

So after my burst of instances i leveled and leveled and leveled and altough having fun i wasent shocked anymore, the world was huge and i loved it, everything was new and all was good, the different terrain and other features like the sun going down at night and coming up at 6 am was a nice touch but not essential to me so i guess my next surprise came at around level 30? maybe 35 cant remember.. found a monster moving very fast, humanoid, red name tage, thats how i knew it was a enemy.....soon i realized it was another player..(pvp server) i didnt know what to think at the time and i saw red and said.. shoot first ask questions later. raped it LMAO.. at that point in leveling hunter is super strong.. my ranged abilities, plus pet just killed any other player without even trying..i was hooked so #6 PVP (btw i started in a recommended server, so its population was below low standards in wow.. probably why it took me almost 40 levels to find a enemy player)

after i was so hooked every minute i was at home i was on the game, heck i did homework on the bus just so i wouldent have to do it at home and take time away from wow.. at this point i flew by in levels and learned i was at the end of that HUGE WORLD or so i thought since no area on the map was lvl 60+.. but it wasent so bad like half of the map was still unexplored.. then i heard about the portal to outlands and boom yet another world! was like level 58? i think.. boom portal to outlands 2-4 days (years ago cant remember) was max level(70). and although i was shocked with all the content and the awesome places in outland it was no longer a big deal to me. so after hititng max level i thought.. well beat the game what now? heard about pve and pvp and i figured.. well its a pvp server right? cant do any pve here... so i went to pvp.. and was cool.. but quickly learned super powered hunter was no longer so super.. and that i had class disadvantages to some.. and im extremly competitive so this was hooked me even further.. got huge into pvp till i met a guy in pvp who explained to me what pve was and how it worked (i was too lazy to even google it.. shame on me lol) at that point i looked at his main character and all that pve gear and FREAKED! i had short time to experience pve and it was far too difficult.. stand in the fire i die.. use the wrong ability and my dps was low.. dont have the right gear to begain with since i was late to BC expansion so i was a raiding failure lol but then expansion came .. again.. which also impressed me so #7 DONT LET THE GAME DIE (EXPANSIONS)

so when wrath came out i was smarter, had a few years of wow experience a few pve friends and i was not WAY behing people anymore i had a chance to basically start from the starting line against other players (SO COMEPTITIVE LOL) and i was hardcore from that point on.. go to level 80, the friend i made, he wanted to start his on pve guild, i joined him and learned all about raiding slowly, did 5 man instances.. then heroics.. then my first 10 man.. oh man i was fucking excited.. then it took a while and we got 25 mans going!! and it just went off from there so #8 END GAME CONTENT!!!

#9 is simple, after maxing out my hunter i began to, on my spare time from raiding, trying out other classes.. this is essential in my opinion dont care if you love your night elf warrior at one point or another u just want to change it up a bit even for 20 mins.. so #9 CLASS CHOICES

#10 and extremly vital to the entire game... COMBAT GAMEPLAY
    now in some games i had played before wow combat sucked.. was either turn based like in Final Fantasy X or XII or fluid but not impressive like diablo 2 to be honest LOL. but wow in terms of combat gameplay was best game i had ever played hands down (not comparing to cod 1-4 they are great in combat but they arent RPG cant compare, but yet cod was only one with better combat gameplay at that point)
    Now just to be clear when it comes to COMBAT GAMEPLAY i refeering to, the boss doing his thing and casting his spells, forcing us to move out of spots, mainting out rolls, tank/healing/dps in a simple fashion where there wasent 50 billion numbers going up on my screen, there wasent a million flashing lights (i was playing with minimum graphics cuz ulduar lagged my balls was anything higher) so the combat encounter over all was clean, it was effective, it was fluid as in i didnt have to stop the combat to heal, the dps didnt have to stop to move, the tank didnt have to stop to run away and re position the boss and the combat wasent repetitive.. every single boss had curve balls.. he would fly, or go under ground, summon adds or place fire on the ground, he would enrage or use a ability forcing me to use a ability to increase my effectiveness and overall it kept me interested cuz it kept me challenged.
    so #11 and final cuz im running out of things that impressed me.. #11 CHALLENGED ACCEPTED!

so lets review since ints been a long read for you guys

ABILITIES (FACE IT, ALL WE DID WAS PRESS 1 BUTTON WE WOULD COMMIT SUICIDE...1 IS BAD 10 IS BETTER 1000 IS MORE LIKE IT)
    WIDE RANGE OF OPTIONS (PETS, GEAR,CLASSES, SKINS, PLACES TO GO, FOOD, WATER, LORE, SCENERY, DAY, NIGHTS, ETC ETC)
    EXTREMLY LARGE WORLD
    LARGE AMOUNTS OF INSTANCES (5 MANS, HEROICS, RAIDS, ETC ALL INCLUDED)
    EXTREMLY LARGE AMOUNT OF GEAR TO BE OBTAINED
    PVP (SOMETIMES ITS GOOD TO KICK SOMEONES ASS)
    EXPANSIONS (YES THE WORLD IS HUGE, YES WOW HAS MORE CONTENT THEN ANY OTHER GAME.. BUT WE WANT MORE!!!)
    END GAME CONTENT (BORED PLAYERS QUIT.. AFTER LEVELING TO MAX WE HAVE TIME ON OUR HANDS, GIVE US SHIT TO DO)
    CLASSES (CONTENT WITH 10 CLASSES, HAPPY TO SEE ANOTHER COMING IN.. YET ANOTHER WOW EXPANSION.. BUT 20 WOULD BE BETTER THEN 11 LOL)
    COMBAT GAMEPLAY ( ONCE MAXED OUT IN LEVEL.. ITS ALL ABOUT COMBAT.. EITHER PVE OR PVP WE ARE GONNA FIGHT AND IT BETTER BE A EPIC FIGHT)
    CHALLENGE (IF PEOPLE FEEL THEY CAN DESTROY THE CONTENT WITH A SINGLE ROTATION OF THEIR SKILLS THE GAME DIES.. EXAMPLE.. WHEN I GOT MY RESTO DRUID IN RAID GEAR AT 80 I WOULD DO 5 MANS FOR FRIENDS AND BASICALLY KEEP EVERYONE AT 100% THE ENTIRE TIME WHILE PLAYING WITH ONE HAND AND NOT PAYING ATTENTION.. BORING... IF RAIDS WERE LIKE THAT THIS GAME WOULD DIE.. SO WE THE PLAYERS MUST HAVE A CHALLAGE TO COMPLETE OR THE GAME LOSSES ITS INTEREST)

so the things listed above are the most important things a game needs to have to win my effection and obtain my interest... and money lol.
    currently im not playing wow because i was sent to brazil (work thing) and didnt have much time to spend outside of work but my tour here is ending in lesss then a month and ive been wondering about a game to play when i get to canada and WOW seems to me like the only candidate!! which is scary.. yeah friends have suggested other games.. gw, diablo 3, warcraft, starcraft, warhammer heck even everquest was suggested.. league of heroes i think was the name of another.. and frankly my game seems to be either wow or cod on the xbox.. but i keep hearing about GW and i see GW2 is coming out in about 45 days so i watched a few videos of GW2 gameplay and here is my opinion

Classes: 8 i think.. which is good, i expect 10 just cuz its a nice round number, but 8 is great. BWT NECRO LOOKED GOOD.. LICH FORM? DAMN
    races: 5? well i expect more honestly, but its not bad classes is more important then races
    world: didnt seem as nearly as big as wow from the videos i watched of GW2.. graphics didnt seems up to par with wow. swmiming did not look all that good... and character was like super fast weird but then again i didnt play the game myself..
    abilities: saw only a few videos, could not notice more then 20 abilities per profession, but i imagine there are a lot more.. seems like up to par with wow.
    end game content : no clue
    combat gameplay: felt weird to me.. looked sloppy, was hard to tell who was attacking who.. a necromancer was holding a knife trying to stab a monter from 20 yards out and doing damge.. was confused.. in another video so archer was shooting in what looked like a battleground.. couldent even tell who he was shooting..

just seemed like it wasent as clean and as fluid as wow.. where in wow BG i could look at the screen and go, ok that the healer there.. thats the ranged pwning our healers, i see the annoying warrior running all over the place to maitain range and i dont see the rogues but if i stop moving for half a second ill get raped... BUT, since im not familiar with GW perhaps you GW players can tell me if it clean and clear to you guys...

SO IF YOU HAVE READ ALL OF THIS... you are probably dying to give your 2 cents(.. or you 20 bucks to match mine) and here is what i ask:

IF you are a GW player WHO DOS NOT PLAY WOW.. please rate GW as you see it, and give me your opinion about weither or not you think it has all those important things i mentioned..

IF you are GW player WHO ALSO PLAYED WOW TO HEROIC 10 AND 25 MAN RAIDS...... please compare compare WOW to GW... in as much detail as you want... its exactly your type of comment that will get me to try GW2 or stick to WOW:MOP

Again i apologize for the lenght of this post, but being a fellow MMO gamer you understand how complex it is to explain in detail what exactly makes this time of game so freaking good right? and i thank ALL OF YOU in advace for all of your input.

Deleted
    There are no indoor raids in GW2

Look here , for more information :
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!

Or look on my signature for some things , i personaly like
    (+all classes can attack with range or meele weapons)
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-07-06 at 11:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wall of text crit me for over 9000..

I think Plzbegentle's signature says enough. I could only give my input on Guild Wars 1 at the moment, but the two games are fairly different, so that wouldn't be of any use.

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Look here , for more information :
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME!
    Yes, do that. You should be able to find whatever you want to know by scrolling through this information.

10+ Year Old Account
    another compare thread -.-

TLDR but idc about GW2 and will be playing WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Baergrillz View Post
    TLDR but idc about GW2 and will be playing WoW.
    Thanks for the insight.
    Wait, why are you in this subforum? o:

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Thanks for the insight.
    Wait, why are you in this subforum? o:
    your welcome, was browsing forums and clicked this for some reason. anyway time for sleep.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea like Achaman said this is gonna be another one of "those" kinds of threads. ;[
    nothingtodohere.jpg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    another compare thread -.-
    Compare threads don't have to turn into flame-wars. There are many people out there wanting an honest, unbiased comparison.

GW2 VS WOW!
    45% more flames than usually in the WoW forums!
    23.45% less flames than SWTOR VS WOW threads!
    47.43% more lying statistics!
    20% more pony!

Also, this comes to mind:

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Compare threads don't have to turn into flame-wars. There are many people out there wanting an honest, unbiased comparison.
    They don't have to, but they inevitably will.

Why is there another thread titled GW2 VS WOW in GW2 sub-forums? Stop comparing these games, please.

Deleted
    I love the fact that you dont have to pay monthly for GW2 and worry that you migiht not be able to keep up paying for more than one if you play more then one mmo (who says you have to choose) And the fact that there is no gear treadmill that makes you play for over 8 hours a day in order to be semi ok at it. But then again I love wow and raid on wow. I also play rift and raid on rift. But hey, I work, I earn my monies, pay the bills and my free time is my own time mmo's FTW !

Quote Originally Posted by Dantom06 View Post
    I love the fact that you dont have to pay monthly for GW2 and worry that you migiht not be able to keep up paying for more than one if you play more then one mmo (who says you have to choose) And the fact that there is no gear treadmill that makes you play for over 8 hours a day in order to be semi ok at it. But then again I love wow and raid on wow. I also play rift and raid on rift. But hey, I work, I earn my monies, pay the bills and my free time is my own time mmo's FTW !
    The bolded sentence, sense it does not make for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    The bolded sentence, sense it does not make for me.
    He doesnt have to worry , if his Justice-Valor Points in GW2 , is not capped for this week

Deleted
    I'm sorry but I cannot read all that. Since I'm not really interested in WoW anymore (no hate involved) I'm even less interested in why others play(ed) WoW. And it is sooooooooo easy to obtain information about GW2. There is a TON of information in http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...tiated-READ-ME (like Plzbegentle said) and you have thousands and thousands of videos on youtube.

Or you just preorder play the last BWE see if you like it or not. If you don't get your money back. Simple, very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    He doesnt have to worry , if his Justice-Valor Points in GW2 , is not capped for this week
    After reading it 10 times, I finally get the meaning.

I thought he said that the fact that there is no gear treadmill makes you play for over 8 hours a day in order to be semi ok at it.

Honestly 60 USD is rather cheap, if you can dish out 180 a year, it would be silly not to try gw2. Judge the game for yourself, no one person, will give you the answers you seek.

Why is it my responsibility to convince you of anything? In the end, only you will be able to determine which you like best. Nothing I or anyone else can tell you is going to convince you. If you don't want to purchase the game and see for yourself, then you won't know for sure.