Marvel Superheroes MMO

Hi everyone,

Now I'm not very informed about the gaming world nor have I time to try to find my way in there; it is quite an universe.
    I am hoping you guys can help me out here......

I saw some time back a very short documentary on tv about a MMO in the making by Marvel.
    Players could play any marvel-superhero and progress their character, like any mmo.

Now, I like superheroes very much and tried to find more and recent news about this. Nothing.

Anyone knows anythinh about this? Any info is more then welcome.

And is there a mmo out now, wherein I could build, play and progress a superhero?

All help and info is appreciated very much.

Deleted
    There is DC Online, which lets you play as a superhero. Though, obviously, not from the Marvel, but the DC universe. Haven't heard anything about a Marvel one. Perhaps they cancelled it after seeing DC doing not-so-great.

yup dc ones isnt that great.....but its free now adays.... so kinda nice....
    and their is a marvel one in the making....but nothing fancy.... its described as a diablo marvel mmo.....gazilla enterainment is making it

DC Universe is a lot of fun. I would give it a shot. It is doing well now. The game gives you a lot of freedom to create and customize your characters (heroes and villians). The game has a lot of great features and it is f2p so you might as well give it a shot. Since it went f2p (which is when I started) the amount of content had greatly increased and the player base has expanded a lot. The DLCs are cheap and expand the game a lot (new powers, weapons etc). Their is a shop, but it is costume stuff (not game effecting). The first 30 levels are mainly training for the end game stuff. I have a lot of fun playing this game and if you are into world pvp I would recommend it. Even with people able to fly around pvp is active and intense. You can freely change from pvp to pve servers so those who are on the pvp side really want to pvp. Go for it.

The concern I have with a Marvel MMO is the powers. I am more of a Marvel fan, but DC characters tend to have a greater variety of powers which makes for a better MMO. Marvel character's powers tend to be very narrow and focused.
    Last edited by Sealbinder; 2012-07-06 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks guys. I will try DC Online first.. free to play, so it can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sealbinder View Post
    The concern I have with a Marvel MMO is the powers. I am more of a Marvel fan, but DC characters tend to have a greater variety of powers which makes for a better MMO. Marvel character's powers tend to be very narrow and focused.
    That didn't end up mattering, because DC uses so few of its actual hero powers. The GLs are about the closest thing to the actual characters you can get in that game and even they're pretty limited by gameplay mechanics. When your Superman-inspired character is an ICE using tank, or your Martian Manhunter is a full on psychic (instead of just a telepath with super strength, eye beams, and shapechanging), then you don't have a very good DC game powers-wise :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Superhero mmo's tend to not do so well. The creation of the superhero is lots of fun but, after that, it just falls flat.

15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.marvelheroes.com/

Keep an eye on this game, as well. They're going to start doing demos, which means beta could be out by the end of the summer and they could have it live before 2013 rolls around.

Read the articles on this page and see if this is right for you. I'm definitely going to be trying it out.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

the new marvel mmo is basically diablo 3 with marvel characters, instead of gear you unlock different costumes and characters for example say you play as spider-man if you keep playing eventually you will unlock the iron spider costume, black costume, different movie costumes ect and maybe unlock miles morales as a new character or something like that so if you like marvel and you like diablo you will like this game

i forgot to mention it will also be free to play
    Last edited by Immitis; 2012-07-06 at 06:42 PM.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    It should also be pointed out for any Marvel fans that the story of Marvel Heroes Online is written by Brian Michael Bendis.

So if you thought Ultimate Spider-Man was a fantastic series (which I did), then it should definitely be up your alley lorewise.

Also Doom is the central villain. That's never a bad thing.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

They're not based on any IP's, but there's also City of Heroes and Champions Online. Both are fantastic MMO's. City of Heroes is a bit dated graphically, but the game has a TON of content and easily has the most customization of any MMO out there with both costumes and powers.

And as others have mentioned there's DCUO. It's much more modern so it looks better, and it easily has the most enjoyable questing experience I've had in recent years, but the fact that it's also a PS3 game means it has some wonky controls and graphical issues unfortunately.