10+ Year Old Account

First Gaming Build - Suggestions?

Any suggestions on this build would be much appreciated. I started with chaud's build and made some changes.

Budget: ~$2k
    Resolution: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200
    Games / Settings Desired: Battlefield 3, Empire: Total War, and maybe WoW are what I've currently got that I'd play.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: Occasional Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements
    Parts that can be reused: Nope
    Do you need an OS?: Yes
    Do you need peripherals?: Everything

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 - Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 - Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 - Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 - Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 - SuperBiiz)
    SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (116.48 - Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB Video Card ($417.55 - Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 - NCIX US)
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V ($62.99 - NCIX US)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 - Newegg)
    Monitor: HP ZR2440w 24" Monitor ($389.99 - Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.95 - B&H)
    Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate ($91.99 - Newegg)
    Mouse: Razer Taipan ($79.99 - Razer Store)
    Speakers: Logitech Speaker System Z523 (79.99 - Newegg)

Total: $2042.86

Choosing the monitor gave me the most trouble. I want something I can use it as an extra monitor for consoles on occasion, so HDMI and proper scaling is nice. I've heard great things about IPS so that was mostly what I was looking for. I looked at the HP 2311xi and Asus PA238Q for a while as cheaper alternatives to the HP ZR2440w. I also looked at the Dell U2410 and the Asus PA246Q, but I didn't see what was worth the extra price.

As for the keyboard, I'm considering the Stealth version of the BlackWidow (glossy keyboard seems like a small slice of hell) or the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 as an alternative. I've never tried a mechanical keyboard so I don't know if it's something I'd really care about.

Is the CPU cooler sufficient?

I don't recommend eVGA for GPU-coolers, I'd recommend you an ASUS or Gigabyte one instead. Or even MSI. eVGA has great warranty (only in the states) but their coolers are only half-a-step up from stock solutions. This appears to use a full-size PCB though, so if you really want the lifetime warranty, by all means, go for it. I'd prefer a more silent and performing cooling solution though.

I don't personally like the HAF-series of cases. They are average at best and I find nothing to justify its price over, say, the Corsair Carbide 500R, the Antec P280 or the Fractal Design Arc Midi cases.
    Power supply, this is way more than you need.

The monitor, while IPS, is a 6bit e-IPS panel. Do not recommend.
    This is not only a less expensive monitor, it's a far superior monitor and comes factory calibrated. Stepping up to the U2410 or the PA246Q is possible, they are better yet - but I recommend 16:9 for gaming. (didn't even notice you had listed these before editting this in! They are just my usual recommendations)

The Razer Blackwidow, like all Razer products, is poor in its intended pricepoint. While yes, you'd want a mechanical keyboard, it's not the one for you in my opinion.
    This one is superior for gaming, MMO-gaming especially, and costs 89.99 after MiR. It has multimedia keys that are fantastic, it got 18 macro buttons, use Cherry MX Red switches, which are less noisy and better for gaming. It also got better build quality and NKRO, where the Razer Blackwidow apparantly got 2KRO (unconfirmed).

The CPU cooler is sufficient, but I'd rather go with the Xigmatek Gaia. It's superior to at least the previous design of the Hyper 212, the plus. And it costs less money.

Not seen the mouse, but it looks way too expensive. I honestly can't see what it gives you that the Corsair Vengeance M60 or the Cyborg R.A.T.7 could give you.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-07-08 at 07:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    The monitor, while IPS, is a 6bit e-IPS panel. Do not recommend.
    This is not only a less expensive monitor, it's a far superior monitor and comes factory calibrated (removed url). Stepping up to the U2410 or the PA246Q is possible, they are better yet - but I recommend 16:9 for gaming. (didn't even notice you had listed these before editting this in! They are just my usual recommendations)
    Thanks for all the advice. The only reason I didn't go with the Asus PA238Q initially was that I saw some complaints about backlight bleed.