Poll: Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion for me

Might change when more Mods or an Addon for Skyrim conquer my PC. It just did not feel as epic as I expected - due to some serious over-hyping. Oblivion was complete bullshit imho.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanith View Post
    OR BOTH AT THE SAME TIME :O

BTW I personally duel wield but I only usually attack with one weapon if I am not attacking at the same time :P
    Well true, you can do the funky power-attack of course, but it just feels clunky really (I make dw characters as well, since 2h is too slow and I couldn't care less about shields) no parrying or funky attacks just right, left, right... Meh.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Never played Morrowwind. Oblivion was fun. I felt Skyrim was better though, improved combat and better graphics.
    Putin khuliyo

Morrowind, hands down

Skyrim was a huge letdown for me. I never even finished it, which just amazed me. This coming from someone who put a good 300 hours into MW, and a good 100ish hours in Obl.

Never played Morrowind
    Liked Oblivion (a bit repetetive)
    Loving Skyrim

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagmonster View Post
    Morrowind, hands down

Skyrim was a huge letdown for me. I never even finished it, which just amazed me. This coming from someone who put a good 300 hours into MW, and a good 100ish hours in Obl.
    Well Skyrim can be summarized like this "I saved everything and everyone - and no one cared".

The only reason Morrowind could beat the other two is purely Levitation. Other than that, Skyrim is the best. The story is pretty decent (albeit easy.. even on moderate/normal difficulty). The only reason to play Oblivion now would be for the Sheogorath and Knights of the Nine GOTY additions. Skyrim just takes everything in Oblivion and made it better, for example getting rid of the old speech craft and improving combat and making leveling less of a hassle.

I liked them all, but if I had to rate them I would go Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion. Skyrim came very close to dethroning Morrowind, but in the end I still find Vvardenfell to be a much more interesting place to explore even after all these playthroughs, not the mention that the main storyline in Morrowind was actually good for an ES game.

Deleted
    I really enjoyed the rim of the sky with the dargons and stuff. But I also enjoyed Oblivion with the fire n demons and stuff like that. And that money glitch were you could kill a guy over and over. Good times. Never played morrowind though.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystile View Post
    The only reason Morrowind could beat the other two is purely Levitation. Other than that, Skyrim is the best. The story is pretty decent (albeit easy.. even on moderate/normal difficulty). The only reason to play Oblivion now would be for the Sheogorath and Knights of the Nine GOTY additions. Skyrim just takes everything in Oblivion and made it better, for example getting rid of the old speech craft and improving combat and making leveling less of a hassle.
    What you call "less of a hassle" most would call "dumbing down".

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Knights of the Nine was also very dissappointing... Haven't tried Dawnguard yet, since it's not out on the pc, but why they chose to do some shit about vampires instead of expanding on the original storyline, or the thalmor or the you know what of the Emperor etc baffles me.

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 01:14 AM ----------

Wouldn't call Witcher 2 hard really, I'd call the combat retarded though haha.
    Ya know, I never really considered Knights of the Nine to be an expansion. I know it's listed as such these days, but when it first came out I remember it being advertised as just a new quest. It was also like 10 bucks when it was new.

But anywho, yeah, I agree, the whole vampire thing was disappointing, and it felt more like a faction questline, or even a series of miscellaneous quests, not an expansion questline. I mean really, in both Morrowind expansions and in one Oblivion expansion you fight a god. If you're gonna make it about vampires at least let me punch out Molag Bal.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Ya know, I never really considered Knights of the Nine to be an expansion. I know it's listed as such these days, but when it first came out I remember it being advertised as just a new quest. It was also like 10 bucks when it was new.

But anywho, yeah, I agree, the whole vampire thing was disappointing, and it felt more like a faction questline, or even a series of miscellaneous quests, not an expansion questline. I mean really, in both Morrowind expansions and in one Oblivion expansion you fight a god. If you're gonna make it about vampires at least let me punch out Molag Bal.
    True Knights of the N was just a questline really and some flashy armor (which looked overly misplaced).... As for "punching Molag Bal" I'm thinking they won't let you, since he'll be the protagonist of the TES online for whatever terrible reason... I've always liked Molag Bal though, he's just so.... Well fuckin' evil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion, loved Skyrim.
    This. I tried to get into both but just couldn't. I spent way, way too many hours on Skyrim.

Their leveling systems were exactly the kind of faux complexity old RPGs thrived on. It was ineffectual bullshit.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Their leveling systems were exactly the kind of faux complexity old RPGs thrived on. It was ineffectual bullshit.
    The Oblivion leveling system was exactly the same as the Skyrim one, only Skyrim didn't have stats and had less skills and Fallout perks.
    Oh and how is getting to level 100 in smithing solely by making a billion iron daggers not bullshit? Or powerleveling by paying trainers?

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved Morrowind because I would literally turn myself into a god, and spend my time going around blasting entire cities to bits. Plus it was a decent challenge, getting all the daedric pieces was fucking hard. And making your own spells/items with enchants was really really really awesome. See the god part above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    There's also been studies that are showing that plants release distress signals in the form of chemicals, such as when they're cut or broken, which other plants can react to.

That freshly mown lawn smell? That's tens of thousands of blades of grass screaming.

And what you call "dumbing down" is beyond over used in this gaming age. Change is not bad. This is an example of an annoying system being thrown out the window and having a new one put in place. Did you even play Morrowind or Oblivion? Getting the first few levels was incredibly annoying, purely because you get thrashed by most mobs until your weapon skills are in the 50s (normally starting out at ~30). Or you could just spam speechcraft on people while stealing crap from people's houses to level alchemy. Fighting in the first few hours of both earlier games was just not even viable. That is bad design, and it was removed.

And what you call "dumbing down" is beyond over used in this gaming age. Change is not bad. This is an example of an annoying system being thrown out the window and having a new one put in place. Did you even play Morrowind or Oblivion? Getting the first few levels was incredibly annoying, purely because you get thrashed by most mobs until your weapon skills are in the 50s (normally starting out at ~30). Or you could just spam speechcraft on people while stealing crap from people's houses to level alchemy. Fighting in the first few hours of both earlier games was just not even viable. That is bad design, and it was removed.
    I fight stuff all the time at early levels in Morrowind. Maybe it's because I have that game pretty much memorized, but I never have an issue taking things on as a melee Breton with sign of the Atronach at level 1. Which is basically the worst early game character possible. If you want good early game just go Redguard, Orc, or Nord with sign of the warrior, and heavy armor and a good weapon skill for major skills. You'll easily chop through everything that's below level 10 or so when you're level 1. Redguard with long blade is particularly dumb, as you start with 50 long blade, 50 strength, and 40 agility, with an extra +10 to hit, and Adrenaline Rush should bring you close to 100% hit chance.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    It didn't get removed because it was bad design, it got removed because it was too complicated and involved too many things and took too long.
    That said, some change is bad, some is good. I never found leveling in Oblivion to be a hassle, I did however find it to be a bigger accomplishment than I do in Skyrim.