Thread: NA ping as EU?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marooned View Post
    no no, they are not located in same place, check server time, I live in East, I got ~40ms on servers within my timezone, but +100 ms on servers having california time.
    Well thank god for that. I thought it was bizarre to have all the servers in one location for an MMO.

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 01:59 AM ----------

Wait, are you talking about WoW or GW2? You might be in the wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    It is confirmed that all the servers are located in the same place, and that place is a city in Texas. EU is somewhere in Germany.
    Ok lets see, now I checked the ip of Crushridge server which is 12.129.222.244 and has california timezone, and my server Bleeding Hollow is having IP of 206.18.98.224-5 which has eastern time zone, let me check where they are located lets see if you are right or not
    Last edited by Marooned; 2012-07-07 at 02:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you're in the wrong forum. This is GW2.

Yep Roggles, he's talking about WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wish my damn area would just have fiber optics already. That shit is the best.

76 last time I checked.

Anything below 200 is perfectly playable, regardless at what level you raid at ( For the people that are like " I push world firsts, I can't have over 100! Well I played for 4 years pushing world firsts on a US realm from England with 175-250 ping and it was fine )

About tckackfrequency.

Short explanation: it's internet equivalent of snake oil. Modifying current implementation in modern OS's and games will likely degrade performance.

Long explanation: TCP protocol used to carry data packed inside IP packets uses a three way handshake. It essentially establishes connections and confirms packets with "ACK" packet (acknowledged). Specifically it goes like this: "Client > server [I want to open TCP connection]. Server > client: [ACK, I want to open connection back to you as well]. Client > server: [ACK]."
    Result is that both client and server have established TCP connection to each other.

Problem is, as most traffic on modern internet is about sending a lot of small stuff over separate TCP connections such as web browsing, the triple handshake used to establish connection becomes a bottleneck as in many cases your browser will fetch many web page elements at once, and open separate TCP connection for every element. So OS like Microsoft Windows delays sending ACK packets and packages them together into a single low level IP packet to save bandwith rather then package each TCP ACK into its own IP packet and fire it off right away.
    This also causes most games that use TCP for their data traffic to get a bit of extra latency when latency is used for TCP pings, because it won't ACK the connection until enough of them are buffered and sent all together.

Impact on real gameplay is actually non-existent to detrimental. It's the internet equivalent of snake oil. You'll have uninformed people swear on their mother's grave that it took half of their latency off and they see it. In reality, it just makes the round trip for ping's ACK packets faster, without impacting the actual data stream that is sent as payload (actual game data) over already established connection and is not impacted by ACK latency. In fact, in most cases prioritising ACK's may cause marginal degradation to your actual performance as ACK's will receive same priority to send as actual payload and increasing total traffic marginally (extra IP packet for every two TCP ACK's).
    Essentially, for game performance, it's not the ACK's on connection establishing that matter, but payload over already established TCP connection.

On the other hand, disabling Nagle's algorithm (TCPdelay) will improve your performance with most TCP games, however most games that use TCP already tell OS to disable it for them so it's a moot point.

I used to do a lot of networking on apartment-block serving routers and switches back in university, and did quite a bit of network optimization work. The reason why this "fix" is so known is because long in past WoW didn't tell OS to disable Nagle's algorithm, causing noticeable performance improvement when it was switched off on OS level. This bug has been fixed years ago, and since when the fix kept haunting people who wanted to squeeze every little bit of latency out of their connections in order to get better performance. TCPackfrequency is basically "omg, smaller number on my pings" without actually understanding what happens under the hood. Think someone seeing that "wow, I can rev engine so high when gear is in neutral!" when it's the performance under load that actually matters when driving.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2012-07-07 at 02:15 AM.

It's similar to getting 60 fps for the first time. Once you have it, you never go back. It's that way with latency as well. 150+ is fine if that's all you know, but once you taste the sweet delight that is 50 ms, nothing else will do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by divinepurpose View Post
    Didn't read the whole thread, but ill just leave this here.

http://www.wowwiki.com/US_realm_list_by_datacenter
    Wrong video game my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Wrong video game my friend.
    And an outdated and unused website as well.

www.wowpedia.org my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    a couple of friends are planning to play NA (they live in the UK) and think they'll get amazing pings because of their beta experience.

how good are the pings for EU players on NA servers because i've always experienced 250-300+ which is, imo, terrible and unplayable if you're going to take pvp seriously.

thanks!
    For PvP the pings will probably not be that great if they take PvP seriously, for PvE the ping will probably be well within the margin of being "playable" (Which I see anything under 100 fine for PvP, anything under 200 as being perfectly fine for PvE and anything under 400-500 being playable for PvE, and anything above that being to annoying to play)

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    76 last time I checked.

Anything below 200 is perfectly playable, regardless at what level you raid at ( For the people that are like " I push world firsts, I can't have over 100! Well I played for 4 years pushing world firsts on a US realm from England with 175-250 ping and it was fine )
    This isnt WoW, its GW2. And 200ping, i wouldnt be happy with that in a game like GW2. Much more twitch gaming in pvp and even pve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just took a speedtest on a server in Houston Texas (I'm located in Denmark)

Think this is acceptable tbh

and heres what i get on a more local server

Last edited by Quanille; 2012-07-07 at 11:05 AM.
    |Asus Sabertooth 990FX|AMD Phenom II 1090T 4.2Ghz x6|XFX R7970 Black Edition|Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz 8gb|Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling|

The average human reaction time is 150-300 ms. A blink is 300-400 ms. A difference of 50-100 ms wont make or break your performance. You might tell yourself that it feel slower but 100 ms is so fast that you wont even notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    The average human reaction time is 150-300 ms. A blink is 300-400 ms. A difference of 50-100 ms wont make or break your performance. You might tell yourself that it feel slower but 100 ms is so fast that you wont even notice it.
    Thats just not true. All those delays compound, that 100ms doesnt fade into nothingness over your physical 300ms delay, it adds to it and makes it a 400ms delay before you have reacted. I dont know how much it will affect GW2 in PvP, but it plays quite twitchy and missing that dodge or reflect can mean your going down.
    So it depends on how you plan to play the game, but anyone thinking about really going for the competitive sPvP will clearly want as low of a ping as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Thats just not true. All those delays compound, that 100ms doesnt fade into nothingness over your physical 300ms delay, it adds to it and makes it a 400ms delay before you have reacted. I dont know how much it will affect GW2 in PvP, but it plays quite twitchy and missing that dodge or reflect can mean your going down.
    So it depends on how you plan to play the game, but anyone thinking about really going for the competitive sPvP will clearly want as low of a ping as possible.
    This is not my point. What i meant was if you have 50 ms or 100 ms you wouldnt notice the difference. People are whining about 0.05 seconds delay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    EU is somewhere in Germany.
    Frankfurt, most likely. That's where the GW1 servers are located, so it would make sense to have the GW2 servers in the same place.

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 04:57 PM ----------

Also, as a point of reference for other people in the EU, my own ping to the Pingtest server in Austin, Texas is 158ms, with Comhem as my internet service provider (Sweden, naturally). As stated previously in the thread, your own ping may vary depending on multiple factors, the most contributing ones being your ISP and the quality of your broadband cables.

This is not my point. What i meant was if you have 50 ms or 100 ms you wouldnt notice the difference. People are whining about 0.05 seconds delay.
    While human reaction speed is indeed slower, human DETECTION speed is faster. So while you won't react that fast, it will slow down your total reaction time as it will slow down the initial part of reaction, detection by some time.

And i said, it depends on the game you play and how you play it. I dont know if GW2 is twitchy enough to need it, but it sure requires quite some solid reaction speed. And noone competitive enough is going to leave it upto the luck of the lag, theyd want a low as possible ping. Even in a game like Gw2.
    So it depends on how you play it. I wouldnt mind between 100 or 50, because i wont be playing super competitive. But if i was, i'd murder to get less ping.