Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    How the stating that I cannot play on US servers after buying US version of the game (!) just because I live outside the US, is "stirring trouble"? I find it unacceptable and have a right to find it so.
    To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

How am I spreading lies? It is region locking, in its worst form. Where was I incorrect?
    Incorrection highlighted in red for your viewing pleasure.

Also, it's not a ban. A ban would be if there was no way for you to change which datacenter you log in to - which you can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    The "issue" is that say you buy in the US, you can play on EU servers just fine BUT say you travel to the EU for work or school or vacation or family or what not, if you bought the game in the US(or countries that default to the US aka any non EU country) you can not play on any server EU or US from the EU, you can only log into the game from where you bought it.

It is region locked as to where you can access it from, not as to what you can play on once your on, so the issue is for those who travel a lot or move, yes its not most people but it is enough people to be considered a issue.
    Uhm, i guess my post wasn't clear. I'll make an example:
    I'm american.
    I buy my digital copy from my house in NY.
    I'm redirected for payment with dollars, and LOCKED to american servers, FLAGGED to them.
    I log on final release.
    A list of servers appear: it's a list of american server.
    I pick one, it's american+rest of world together.
    I log off, i take my bag and go to France, tomorrow
    Tomorrow i arrive in France, with my laptop i log in
    I will log on my server with my friends.
    I want to create a new char
    It's again a list of american servers.
    I pretend to have my main on an american server and my alt on an european one, here is the issue.
    The ISSUE is how to remove this "flag" and give both access.
    Just a matter of database. As i was suggested, a mail to support could move your flag, maybe locked 48 hours, like GW1 long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    You can play on any server you want no matter where you play at.
    You can play on no servers if you have bought US version of the game while living in Europe.

Deleted
    You can play on no servers if you have bought US version of the game while living in Europe.
    Read the thread or get out.

Here, let me make it easier for you to read.

Yes you can, contact Support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post

Just try to ignore it.
    The mods have made it clear they find his trolling acceptable, and refuse to give him an infraction.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-07-08 at 01:45 PM.

Please provide a link, as there is nothing suggesting that in this thread.

Deleted
    Please provide a link, as there is nothing suggesting that in this thread.
    U should ask here
    http://support.guildwars2.com/app/ask/

If they cant help u , ask politely a refund and get a EU account later on

Edit: If u bought the game directly from the Arenanet , u get a refund
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-07-08 at 01:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Well, i finally got the final answer from support: Tell us if you want a refund.
    So i'll make it clear.
    Where you buy the game, will determine your region. So if you buy the game from europe, even if doing it asking your brother/family member/friend for example to pay for you with euros , your copy will not be usable outside europe , and viceversa. Arenanet is still "keeping an eye on it" (meaning who gives a sh..t? ) but as today i write, noone decided if it will be fixed.
    Officially it's what i wrote. Asking support to be moved to NA servers is useless, Arenanet will not flag your account to an other region. So , accordingly to what they wrote yet: are you planning to play outside europe? You will need to buy a new copy of GW2 with US$ , outside europe. Are you worried to lose your char? Amen, it's your problem, Arenanet doesn't seems to give a damn of travellers, or who just want his damned account and play everywhere on this planet like GW1 do.
    So, who is planning to travel or move to europe/ USA/ other countries redirected to NA servers, buy it when arrived with us$ (using a local bank and a new bank account , roflmao ye ye sure)
    Who bough his account with preorder is invited to ask a refund. If it's too late, it's your problem.
    Are you planning to travel? Ask now a refund.
    Unexpected idiot thing, from Arenanet. But well, better safe than sorry, i'll ask a refund after this BWE so i'll play at least for a couple days of beta.

p.s. It's still unclear how the refund works. Basically much more the final release will be near, much less will be possible to ask a refund. Maybe part of it, at best, it's not clear when exactly this term ends.

WTF..
    Last edited by Lucas Ashrock; 2012-07-16 at 05:39 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    Well, i finally got the final answer from support: Tell us if you want a refund.
    So i'll make it clear.
    Where you buy the game, will determine your region. So if you buy the game from europe, even if doing it asking your brother/family member/friend for example to pay for you with euros , your copy will not be usable outside europe , and viceversa. Arenanet is still "keeping an eye on it" (meaning who gives a sh..t? ) but as today i write, noone decided if it will be fixed.
    Officially it's what i wrote. Asking support to be moved to NA servers is useless, Arenanet will not flag your account to an other region. So , accordingly to what they wrote yet: are you planning to play outside europe? You will need to buy a new copy of GW2 with US$ , outside europe. Are you worried to lose your char? Amen, it's your problem, Arenanet doesn't seems to give a damn of travellers, or who just want his damned account and play everywhere on this planet like GW1 do.
    So, who is planning to travel or move to europe/ USA/ other countries redirected to NA servers, buy it when arrived with us$ (using a local bank and a new bank account , roflmao ye ye sure)
    Who bough his account with preorder is invited to ask a refund. If it's too late, it's your problem.
    Are you planning to travel? Ask now a refund.
    Unexpected idiot thing, from Arenanet. But well, better safe than sorry, i'll ask a refund after this BWE so i'll play at least for a couple days of beta.

p.s. It's still unclear how the refund works. Basically much more the final release will be near, much less will be possible to ask a refund. Maybe part of it, at best, it's not clear when exactly this term ends.

WTF..
    Fairly sure that your account is region locked in a way that ensures that no matter where you log in, you're directed to the servers that you're locked to. This doesn't make your purchase worthless, it simply means that you can't chill with the cool europeans. If you have information to indicate otherwise, provide a link or a quote from support and maybe I'll see your point. Until then, have fun chilling on NA server.

Quote Originally Posted by incarcerated View Post
    Fairly sure that your account is region locked in a way that ensures that no matter where you log in, you're directed to the servers that you're locked to. This doesn't make your purchase worthless, it simply means that you can't chill with the cool europeans. If you have information to indicate otherwise, provide a link or a quote from support and maybe I'll see your point. Until then, have fun chilling on NA server.
    Well, no, you'll be able to guest on any server, EU or NA, but you'll always connect through your region's login server. My hypothesis is he was told "we have no concrete plans and we'll be monitoring the situation" and took it to mean the wrong thing.

Lucas: Think, don't assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, i'm having this issue from a couple weeks, describing exactly what i did and what i want to do: i bough a deluxe digital version , from europe using my european credit card so i was able to pay with euros (and choose my country). I live in asia, i want to play from here, and on american servers.
    That's their answer
    Anyone can play with whoever they want on any world (server) they want regardless of region, but we have not yet announced details on how region restrictions might work for games being used outside the purchase region.

Any games purchased from https://buy.guildwars2.com/ are automatically sorted into the correct region based on the location from which they are purchased. Any physical boxed copies of the game are restricted to the region where the retailer is located.

You can find more about transferring worlds here on the ArenaNet Blog: http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-a...n-guild-wars-2

When we are ready to make more announcements about regions in Guild Wars 2, we'll do it via the main site http://www.guildwars2.com/ , via the blog http://www.arena.net/blog/ , via Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/guildwars2 , or via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2

Thanks,
    Tim
    Guild Wars Support Team
    http://support.guildwars2.com/
    Basically, they invited me to ask a refund, because i could problably not be able to log with my account from asia.
    I was invited to use a local bank account ( an US$ one), ask a refund a buy the game again. Ye, sure, lol.

Well, i'm having this issue from a couple weeks, describing exactly what i did and what i want to do: i bough a deluxe digital version , from europe using my european credit card so i was able to pay with euros (and choose my country). I live in asia, i want to play from here, and on american servers.
    That's their answer

Basically, they invited me to ask a refund, because i could problably not be able to log with my account from asia.
    I was invited to use a local bank account ( an US$ one), ask a refund a buy the game again. Ye, sure, lol.
    Asia is sorted to the NA region. Common knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    That's their answer

I think at this point it's difficult to tell what they'll do then. All I can say is make the issue known so people start demanding a solution. I'd quite like to access the game abroad but if it won't let us then that's a damn shame.
    The main issue really would be the cost. You would need to enable people to switch to a different datacenter with a whole load of extra information from the accounts registered to other regions. The cost alone of having all that data going back and forth between datacenters and being stored globally is huge. They're most likely waiting to see how many people travel / move in the first month and calculate it as a sample size for a full year and go from there. This makes it important to voice your opinion on the forums and make up a part of that crowd.

I can't see any solution coming for you anytime soon though. You may have to wait a few months to play.

---------- Post added 2012-07-18 at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Asia is sorted to the NA region. Common knowledge.
    Really? Judging by the server list for BWE3, it doesn't look like they're expecting that many people on the NA side. EU server list is around 1/5th bigger which indicates that the main playerload is on the EU region.

Since EU includes Russia (which is part of Asia), I'd presume that some parts of Asia are locked to EU and others to NA. So if this guy is geographically from somewhere in Asia, it may not mean that that is part of the NA locked region.
    Last edited by mmocc12e1a6c25; 2012-07-18 at 09:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I can't see any solution coming for you anytime soon though. You may have to wait a few months to play.
    That's exactly what support team tried to tell me. They don't have (today) a solution. What's sure, they are not goint to flag any account. So who bough a prepurchase and it's going to travel/ move outside europe, will have to buy a new account with US$.
    Or wait months. Pfff. Nah. More easy a refund and buy a new US$ copy later if i find how to manage it.
    Money is money, and deluxe digital is not so cheap.

It's truly the most idiot thing never happened in my life playing mmos. Ip lock, wondering who is the idiot on their team who chose it not allowing their support team to be able to fix it.
    Last edited by Lucas Ashrock; 2012-07-18 at 09:10 PM.

Deleted
    That's exactly what support team tried to tell me. They don't have (today) a solution. What's sure, they are not goint to flag any account. So who bough a prepurchase and it's going to travel/ move outside europe, will have to buy a new account with US$.
    Or wait months. Pfff. Nah. More easy a refund and buy a new US$ copy later if i find how to manage it.
    Money is money, and deluxe digital is not so cheap.

It's truly the most idiot thing never happened in my life playing mmos. Ip lock, wondering who is the idiot on their team who chose it not allowing their support team to be able to fix it.
    As you were abroad when buying it, it caused a problem that they don't have a solution for yet. When designing something there are often things that you don't think of and this is definitely one of them. They were caught unprepared with this issue and with a bit of luck, the problem will have trickled back to the people in charge of billing.
    If you want an easy option, use paypal to receive your refund and then use paypal to buy a new copy if you live in a region that is locked to NA. If the GW2 site doesn't allow you to, find an online store that sells the game with a paypal payment method.

yes you can. I think the keys will work for all regions as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, keys correspond to a region (EU or NA)
    As you were abroad when buying it, it caused a problem that they don't have a solution for yet. When designing something there are often things that you don't think of and this is definitely one of them. They were caught unprepared with this issue and with a bit of luck, the problem will have trickled back to the people in charge of billing.
    If you want an easy option, use paypal to receive your refund and then use paypal to buy a new copy if you live in a region that is locked to NA. If the GW2 site doesn't allow you to, find an online store that sells the game with a paypal payment method.
    Yep, i'll have to buy (later) a digital copy of this game locked to NA servers using an external online store, an american online store (any suggestion?).
    I cannot use paypal from their main website, paypal is country locked too, so i need to create an asian paypal account linked to a local bank account (ROFLMAO).
    They had a similar issue with GW1. But asking to support team a transfer, this issue was fixed after 48 hours.
    GW2 seems not the same (today). I'm still not sure if their refund is a complete refund or just part of it, but well, i'll know it soon.

Deleted
    No, keys correspond to a region (EU or NA)Yep, i'll have to buy (later) a digital copy of this game locked to NA servers using an external online store, an american online store (any suggestion?).
    I cannot use paypal from their main website, paypal is country locked too, so i need to create an asian paypal account linked to a local bank account (ROFLMAO).
    They had a similar issue with GW1. But asking to support team a transfer, this issue was fixed after 48 hours.
    GW2 seems not the same (today). I'm still not sure if their refund is a complete refund or just part of it, but well, i'll know it soon.
    Do you know which datacenters you're locked to in your country? Might be worth finding out. Russia is locked to EU I think but I'm not sure about the rest of Asia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know which datacenters you're locked to in your country? Might be worth finding out. Russia is locked to EU I think but I'm not sure about the rest of Asia.
    I'm living on an NA one. As the rest of asia.

Deleted
    I'm living on an NA one. As the rest of asia.
    This may be a silly question but have you asked them whether they can refund the purchase with a NA copy? Effectively this would mean deactivating one account and generating a new key. They might insist on making a money exchange (to boost their sales figures ) but that's the only easy solution I see at this point.

A more difficult solution would be if you have relatives or friends abroad, you could ask them to help you transfer the money via a paypal account in their region to your bank.