Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    There are events and just random happenings that don't show themselves on the map. Most commonly they are activated by an NPC.

Like in the swamp in queensdale, there is a book that summons a demon to fight inside a wooden hut; for example.
    Once they are started however, they show on the map. He wants the option to disable them on the map, so that EVERY DE would be like the "talk to an NPC first" DE but without the showing on the map after starting.

Also, I don't know why you guys are getting on his case over using the word "vital" to describe his desire for a feature. People exaggerate to make a point, nothing new here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    Vital (adj; from latin vita, life)
    Of life
    Life-sustaining
    Full of life
    Imparting life
    Necessary to continued existence
    Recording data regarding life
    Applied to living cell or tissue
    Fatal

Bolded one is the definition when you're talking about a vital feature.

Please, let's not use words where they don't belong. A "vital feature" would be the ability to move. I agree that being able to hide all guideline markers would be fun, but I don't think you can state that without this feature, the game cannot be played by you.
    Can we stop getting hung up on the title and discuss the content of the post? I know you like getting your kicks from being a smart ass but I'm trying to discuss a potential feature here.

I fixed the title to stop more of this nonsense so please let's move on to discussion.

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 09:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fumblz View Post
    The title had me worried for a second, thought it was going to another thread about the trinity! I honestly don't mind it as they happen almost everywhere on the map so im close by an event no matter where I am in the zone. It is more fun when its a surprise!
    But thats the thing, I don't find that they are a surprise! Many things show up on the map long before you reach the area. You need only be in the right section of the map. 'Section' here is the part of the map you uncover when you enter an unexplored part of a zone. In some cases this is a pretty damn big area so half of the time the events aren't surprising at all.
    Last edited by mmocc12e1a6c25; 2012-07-07 at 08:28 AM.

Even if your minimap was completely disabled and you never open your map, when you're near a DE a big "NEW EVENT NEARBY" and some quest progress pops up. I can see how that's annoying for people who want to 100% explore and not know when they're about to run into a DE.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    Even if your minimap was completely disabled and you never open your map, when you're near a DE a big "NEW EVENT NEARBY" and some quest progress pops up. I can see how that's annoying for people who want to 100% explore and not know when they're about to run into a DE.
    Exactly this. I don't want a guiding hand. I want a massive world to explore and immerse myself in without things popping up on my screen telling me things. One of the reasons for the success of elder scrolls games is exactly this. you talk to a random person and suddenly you're hunting a demonic item in an ancient ruin or something. It is simply more fun this way or at least it would be more fun for me.
    I can understand that many people like having a set path and of course, the default should be that people see where everything is but an option to turn it off and just run around without cares would give some people a huge amount of entertainment. Not to mention the RP aspects and the immersion caused by observing the game world rather than the UI elements.

My problem with WoW was that I was staring at the UI all the time. and i don't mean some of the time but ALL THE FRIGGIN TIME! How can you appreciate the game environments and intricate design of characters and their animations when your eyes are stuck to the UI overlay?

use duct tape It has so many applications, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually gave us world peace one day.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heltoray View Post
    use duct tape It has so many applications, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually gave us world peace one day.
    Well... you could use it to make the damned politicians shut up
    Duct tape is awesome
    But in a one in a billion chance, it doesn't fix my problem! :O

Not a bad idea, sounds pretty cool and interesting tbh. Try posting that on GW2 official forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an interesting idea, but the issue I take with it is that it seems like something to keep you from seeing content. There is already a sense of exploration with events, making it so that you're not notified when you're near an event would actually allow you to miss a lot of content and I don't think the sense of mystery would make up for what you would ultimately miss, and it would be, ultimately, a pointless feature that's never touched.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-07-07 at 10:09 AM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

This would be a pretty fun feature.....but I worry that you may just miss quite a few DEs if they're not immediately obvious.

Deleted
    Sounds cool, i think we should be able to customize the UI in the same way as guild wars, move it around, add, remove and re-size at our leisure. If you can remember your abilitys you could always turn off the UI however you wouldn't be able to use chat very well.

Deleted
    I think that having a map with terrain and maybe 'main' points of interest like 'cities' is kind of a must really, but what would be neat would be if the map was more interactive, so that rather than 'icons' just appearing on the map when you visit a location (to show you what's there) the player has to place 'pins' (different icons) in the map themselves to show the points of interest they want to record. It would provide another form of progression in the game, building up your own map, based on your own observations and notes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    It's an interesting idea, but the issue I take with it is that it seems like something to keep you from seeing content. There is already a sense of exploration with events, making it so that you're not notified when you're near an event would actually allow you to miss a lot of content and I don't think the sense of mystery would make up for what you would ultimately miss, and it would be, ultimately, a pointless feature that's never touched.
    Over time you would learn to recognise the things you missed. And you can always turn the option back off so you can see things again. You are encouraged to spend a lot of time in the zones for PvE so why not make it last longer? Also, the sense of immersion you get from finding events without looking for them and without pointers is amazing. Who cares if you miss a few events? You will most likely find them when you're in the same area again.
    And fully completing an area is a bad thing for many people. It means You have pushed the game to its limits in a certain area, making you feel like you don't need to go there again. If you don't know whether you have completed the area, you won't get that feeling!

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 11:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aldwych View Post
    I think that having a map with terrain and maybe 'main' points of interest like 'cities' is kind of a must really, but what would be neat would be if the map was more interactive, so that rather than 'icons' just appearing on the map when you visit a location (to show you what's there) the player has to place 'pins' (different icons) in the map themselves to show the points of interest they want to record. It would provide another form of progression in the game, building up your own map, based on your own observations and notes.
    Sounds very cool! But i think for a feature like this, it would be too much work for the developers. One step at a time :<

---------- Post added 2012-07-07 at 11:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhrim View Post
    Sounds cool, i think we should be able to customize the UI in the same way as guild wars, move it around, add, remove and re-size at our leisure. If you can remember your abilitys you could always turn off the UI however you wouldn't be able to use chat very well.
    They have stated already that the UI won't be moveable. This is simply a handicap to certain UI elements which takes less time to implement and does not give players an advantage.

It would be better if you had to explore areas before you get a map for it, or that you have to buy or find maps first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    U should make a threat at GW2 section about it
    NO! They have Omen! Don't do a threat!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by incarcerated View Post
    If you don't know whether you have completed the area, you won't get that feeling!
    I don't think that's mainly the issue. I never felt like I finished a zone even with the event tracker and the map telling me I completed all the hearts, skill challenges, and points of interest. There were things I know I missed because of the nature of events. They swing on a pendulum left (success) and right (failure) and I know for a fact that I didn't see the majority of extreme left, extreme right, or even in the middle.

I'm all for your idea, I just don't know how many people would bother with it so that it would actually be a worth while feature, but I'm not even sure how difficult it would be to implement such a feature, so I'm all for it if it can be put in.

It's also worthy to note that ArenaNet have said that they will be adding new events to zones nearly all the time, so even if you completed a zone 1 month ago and you saw everything, ArenaNet have probably added quite a bit of new content to the event chains.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-07-07 at 10:44 AM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    As much i understand the "You will feel the exploration" mood, i would never use something like this. True, it's an amazing huge world with billion things to do. But still an MMO. Meaning: in real life, when you explore a new place, some (me included) love to hang around randomly. But if it's a place where i will live forever, don't you think you need to know PERFECTLY where the drug store is, where you can buy clothes, where to sleep? Same is an MMO. A new player (expecially a young player, don't forget) feeling himself completely lost with no idea where the main city is, or where to bring/ buy something , make them bored, quitting. I love to explore an MMO. But still i have to know where in the hell i put my stuff (an NPC for sell useless crap, a bank for something important etc).

This is a fantasy game based on fight AND exploration. This is not Second Life where new places to see is the only thing to do, where be blind can be amazing. IMHO.

I loved GW1 because without addons, don't be surprised to read my posts about addons with a so negative point of view.

I wouldnt say this is a Vital option. Im pretty sure if this option isnt in the game your still going too play it. So title the thread "vital" is abitt over the top. Secondly thats what sticky notes are for. If you wanna play your version of hardmode or whatever it is your looking to obtain, which sounds fun in theory but im confident in less then 2-3 days youll wanna play with those options on again. you can just cover the mini map with a sticky note on your monitor.

Look guys I just saved ANET tens of thousands of dollars of meaningless development cost by using something that cost me $1.50 at Staples that was easy....

A compromise - ignore the personal story for some time and just go onto an exploration spree. We've done it in one BWE and it was terrific fun, simply going south because we wanted to see what is there, not because we had any map markers set.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawnxxx View Post
    I wouldnt say this is a Vital option. Im pretty sure if this option isnt in the game your still going too play it. So title the thread "vital" is abitt over the top. Secondly thats what sticky notes are for. If you wanna play your version of hardmode or whatever it is your looking to obtain, which sounds fun in theory but im confident in less then 2-3 days youll wanna play with those options on again. you can just cover the mini map with a sticky note on your monitor.

Look guys I just saved ANET tens of thousands of dollars of meaningless development cost by using something that cost me $1.50 at Staples that was easy....
    Not sure why you're mad. He was obviously exaggerating, getting stuck on the title is no big deal. And I highly doubt it would cost Anet much time or money to add the ability to uncheck map markers, plenty of MMOs have the feature to do so. Christ, you'd think he asked for tanks and healers or a gear treadmill with a reaction like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree, 70% of post complaining the "vital" word, rofl