Deleted

Build advice before buying (2800 €)

Hi!

This is what I want to be able to do with my new computer: smooth gameplay at ultra in 1440p - all games, quiet system, cool system with OC potential.

The build:

1. Asus SABERTOOTH Z77
    2. 2x G.Skill 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz Ripjaws X Performance
    3. Intel Core i7 3770K 3,5Ghz (Ivy Bridge)
    4. 2x (RAID 0) Plextor SSD M3 Pro 128GB
    5. Corsair Cooling Hydro H100
    6. EVGA GeForce GTX 690 4096MB
    7. Noctua NF-F12-PWM
    8. Auzentech X-Fi Forte7.1, Low Profile
    9. Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard
    10. Cooler Master HAF X Svart
    11. Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W 80+ Gold Modular
    12. LG CH10LS28 Blu-Ray & DVD

I've based this build on reviews, and benchmarks. I'm planning to let the company put those Noctuas instead of the stock fans in the Corsair H100. Another thing I've thought to add is double SSD's in raid 0.

I want to PC to be able to handle games in some years too, and I might buy another GTX 690 later for quad SLI. I think the i7 is being utilized by some CPU heavy games as well. Thats why Im thinking about buying an i7.

For the PSU, I might upgrade the system in some years with another GPU for quad SLI. The 670's in SLI can't handle all games smoothly at ultra in 1440p, so it's not an option. I've looked into 3-way SLI with 670's, or perhaps 2-way SLI with 680's. But I think that the 690 GTX is the best option, which will take less space in the PC and produce less heat, at the same performance.

I can easily make out a difference between a stock sound card and a better one. X-fi is known to be used for gaming and multimedia, because of it's quality.

You advice, thoughts, comments about the build are very appriciated!

If you are seriously thinking about going dual 690 I think the x79 platform will suit you much better. However if you are not going for dual 690 the 1000W PSU is total overkill. Raid0 SSDs will have almost no real-world performance impact for you, it will only double your chances for hardware failure.

Deleted
    I'd consider a different case but if your mind is set on the HAF X then go for it.

A good 850W like Seasonic X gold or Platinum could handle your configuration, though they might cost the same as the CM unit.

Why don't you just get a 256GB SSD and add one later if you feel you're lacking space or performance, it's pointless to RAID two 128GB right off the bat in my opinion.

I don't think you'll have any issue just buying the i5-3570k but with your budget you might opt for the i7-3770k I guess. (X79+i7-3930K platform is a good option as well but obviously more expensive.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    If you are seriously thinking about going dual 690 I think the x79 platform will suit you much better. However if you are not going for dual 690 the 1000W PSU is total overkill. Raid0 SSDs will have almost no real-world performance impact for you, it will only double your chances for hardware failure.
    I have considered 2-way SLI with 680's, and maybe upgrading to 3-way in the future adding another 680. Not sure though. The price difference between a 800W and 100W gold standard PSU is perhaps 30 EUR, and I guess that if I OC both GPU's and the CPU, it's better to have some margin.

Why would you recommend the x79 platform?

Quote Originally Posted by wellspear View Post
    I have considered 2-way SLI with 680's, and maybe upgrading to 3-way in the future adding another 680. Not sure though. The price difference between a 800W and 100W gold standard PSU is perhaps 30 EUR, and I guess that if I OC both GPU's and the CPU, it's better to have some margin.

Why would you recommend the x79 platform?
    The X79 has more PCI-e 3.0 lanes, a 690 will be bottlenecked to some degree on a x8.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I'd consider a different case but if your mind is set on the HAF X then go for it.

A good 850W like Seasonic X gold or Platinum could handle your configuration, though they might cost the same as the CM unit.

Why don't you just get a 256GB SSD and add one later if you feel you're lacking space or performance, it's pointless to RAID two 128GB right off the bat in my opinion.

I don't think you'll have any issue just buying the i5-3570k but with your budget you might opt for the i7-3770k I guess. (X79+i7-3930K platform is a good option as well but obviously more expensive.)
    I've not decided on that, why would you recommend another case? I've read good reviews about the HAF X.

In regard to the SSD, I would really buy the same model with 256 GB instead, but the store where I plan to build this PC don't sell them. That's why I want to have 2 of those in raid 0; not so much for the extra performance but for the extra space. Do you recommend having them without raid? Based on reviews I've read, this is definitely the SSD I'm interested in.

I've also read alot about the X79 platform with a 3930K, which was what I planned to buy at first, but after reading lots of reviews and posts about comparing it to the IB platform, I can't see the point. Maybe you know something more? I dont plan to do tons of heavy video editing. I do some photoshop sometimes though.

The HAF X is quite plasticky, and reportedly not very nice to work in. It also has no dust filters. If you want a proper side window (i.e. not one with a mount for a fan in it because that looks stupid) your choices become somewhat restricted.

Deleted
    Where are you buying from? perhaps we can help find similar a performing SSD.

Also read this "Should I go with z77 or x79?", it might help you decide.

Deleted
    I'm buying from a Swedish store called Inet.se.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    This is a great SSD and so is the Crucial SSD m4 256GB which is also 400 SEK less.

PSU options:

Corsair AX 850W 80 + (fully) Modular Gold - 1729 SEK
    NZXT HALE90 850W 80 + Modular Gold - 1549 SEK
    FSP Aurum Pro 850W, 80 + Gold, Modular - 1949 SEK

The Corsair AX 850 is probably the best buy, the FSP has slightly" higher efficiency and is a great performer overall but the Corsair unit is fully modular and cheaper.