Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    First and foremost, I find it odd that you are defending a game that essentially should run better than it does on such resolution. I've tried a multitude of different settings and adjustments to no avail, but as I said in a previous post - this is a beta.

Also, I find it extremely odd that overclocking would cause a negative effect. Essentially what differs a i5 2400 and a i5 2500 is an overclock; without the extra core speed these two CPUs are the same - they could even come from the same wafer. Even if this is the case, there is no excuse to it.

Supersampling, MSAA, or any other fancy setting - never claimed these were the culpit. The beta runs like shit on my system, no matter what setting I use, considering the hardware I'm running. At lowest settings I'm getting around 60-80 frames per second, a number that should be much, much higher. I'm looking forward to the completed game as much as you do, but this is not alright no matter how you flip and turn it.
    It's really not a defence, it's just that at a (albeit significantly) lower resolution at the same settings, with a similar processor and a noticeably crappier videocard I ran BWE2 at or near 60 fps the whole time.

Anecdotal sure, but I would definitely point to the resolution as the culprit.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post

Aion is a better comparison because it's a modern high-texture MMO, but it's also nearly 4 goddamn years old.
    Aion doesn't really need a good computer, my 1800 mhz CPU can handle max setting for most of the Abyss with an Nv 9600GT and 4gb of ram cap. And ofc 32b.

6 years old computer.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    Aion doesn't really need a good computer, my 1800 mhz CPU can handle max setting for most of the Abyss with an Nv 9600GT and 4gb of ram cap. And ofc 32b.

6 years old computer.
    And what resolution might that be at?

Also, I find it extremely odd that overclocking would cause a negative effect. Essentially what differs a i5 2400 and a i5 2500 is an overclock; without the extra core speed these two CPUs are the same - they could even come from the same wafer. Even if this is the case, there is no excuse to it.
    Not sure what to tell you. IF they went to the effort of listing that as a known issue with that beta build they obviously had a reason. There must have been some bug or another in the engine that caused that behavior. Calling it odd, while an accurate description, isn't going to change the facts. While I have no doubt they will fix this before launch if its still in for beta it wouldnt hurt to test if that solution works as a temporary fix.

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    They list overclocking in general as an issue. Not even specific processor-types, or a legitimate reason as to why it would be an issue. I just find that extremely odd, that's all.

They list overclocking in general as an issue. Not even specific processor-types, or a legitimate reason as to why it would be an issue. I just find that extremely odd, that's all.
    Tends to happen.

BF3 has a well known bug with nVidia 500-series processors wherein any factory overclocked processors need to be clocked DOWN to standard or even below, but have their voltage turned up to run the game stable.

BF3 forces me to have a 3rd GPUTweak profile just to run it without crashing every 5-30 minutes.

Get better gpu.With my 2 years old amd cpu i was getting easy 60 fps.
    8gb ram.
    nvidia 590 gtx
    Amd 965 black edition 3.9ghz

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 09:41 PM ----------

Tends to happen.

BF3 has a well known bug with nVidia 500-series processors wherein any factory overclocked processors need to be clocked DOWN to standard or even below, but have their voltage turned up to run the game stable.

BF3 forces me to have a 3rd GPUTweak profile just to run it without crashing every 5-30 minutes.
    I was playing bf3 without any problem on my gtx590.Only crashed once

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgnoef View Post
    I was playing bf3 without any problem on my gtx590.Only crashed once
    It's been postulated that it's dependant on the driverset and the build of card. I've heard of it happening on 560s, 560tis and 580s primarily.

AFAIK It's only been occurring since the B2K expansion was released.

Also, taking a look at the 500 series wiki page, you can see the 590s chips (while the same as the 580s) are clocked down by about 22% which lends a bit for credence to the theory.
    Last edited by Grraarrgghh; 2012-07-09 at 09:51 PM.

Id like to say that he has a really decent CPU, its by far better than what most people have (or any AMD cpu trolol), im all for Overclocking but he certainly dont know how, and his motherboard probably doesnt support overclocking (because of the chipset or locked bios) So in my humble opinion, I think he should spend his money on a decent PSU and a really good graphic card. I know MMO are more CPU dependant, but he still need to upgrade his GPU, you just cant play any game modern game with a GT420.

PSU: Seasonic M12II 520W - 60$
    GPU: MSI Twinfrozr III HD7850 - 240$

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm View Post
    Id like to say that he has a really decent CPU, its by far better than what most people have (or any AMD cpu trolol), im all for Overclocking but he certainly dont know how, and his motherboard probably doesnt support overclocking (because of the chipset or locked bios) So in my humble opinion, I think he should spend his money on a decent PSU and a really good graphic card. I know MMO are more CPU dependant, but he still need to upgrade his GPU, you just cant play any game modern game with a GT420.

PSU: Seasonic M12II 520W - 60$
    GPU: MSI Twinfrozr III HD7850 - 240$
    I appreciate the straightforward response!

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 09:41 PM ----------

So, I have a few questions after reading all the replies and watching Newegg's computer building guide.

1. How do I know what kind of video card to get in terms of the rest of my computer? Does it matter what kind of processor, motherboard or other components I have? How do I know what kind of Motherboard I have, other than opening up the case and looking?
    2. What should I be looking for in a PSU? Just wattage?
    3. If I do end up needing a new case, should I focus on case real estate, air flow or something else?

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 09:46 PM ----------

I was doing some browsing at work, and I stumbled upon this. What I like about this is that the price is low, so I can afford to spend more elsewhere. It also has a VGA port on it too. My current monitor setup uses VGA from monitor to PC and DVI-HDMI from monitor to PS3. I probably won't be getting a monitor for a long time, so that's also something to mention.

The comparison of the two cards is pretty phenomenal in my opinion. I'm doubtful about that giving me 60 FPS, even in a 1600x900 resolution.

What should I expect to spend for 60 FPS @ 1600x900 for MMOs and other modern titles?
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2012-07-10 at 01:47 AM.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Deleted
    I would like a source on this, but even if it's true it sounds like a driver issue.

In either case, you just listed something specific; "has a well known bug with nVidia 500-series". They list processors in general, which doesn't make sense. If a certain CPU architecture would misbehave - I could accept that, but overclocking? That seems far-fetched.

Again, looking at the Sandy Bridge CPUs they basically come from the same blue-print. Some chips end up better than others, and become premium CPUs (2500k, 2600k). Others are a bit worse and become locked, less-premium CPUs (2400, 2300). Others might be even worse and will end up as, for example, i3 2100 with some cores turned off. In all of these, the clock frequency is based on the quality of the individual chip after the binning process. They are, in regards to how their internals look, identical. This is why I find it odd that a 4.4GHz CPU would freak out, while a 3.8GHz would be fine, as would a 3.3GHz and a 2.8GHz. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Either case, as I said earlier beta is beta - and I accept fully that it runs somewhat worse than expected. However, it would be unacceptable if these issues persist to the final version.

I would like a source on this, but even if it's true it sounds like a driver issue. <snip>
    He refers to the general instability issue with DirectX11 in some games such as WoW & BF3. Increasing voltage of the GPU core(s) indeed does give you a lot more stable GPU, but it is no way just an issue with the NVIDIA 500- series. It is a general issue among all the cards in games that aren't programmed for proper Dx11 use.

And yes, I do agree with you - beta shouldn't be used as a benchmark. It's often just a media-event to get attention to the game and is not related to the current level of the 'real BETA client' which is tested inside the company's walls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Progress!

Just wanted to verify with you guys that a GTX 560 Ti and a Corsair CX600 would not only work together, but work in my system. If you can find something better on that site and think it's noteworthy, make sure it's available in St.Catharines.

If so, I'll have them both in about 2 weeks!
    [/url]

If you don't mind ordering through NCIX up there in Canada, I would recommend these instead:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W. 80+ Silver Certified. Although PC P&C is now owned by OCZ, this is actually a Seasonic. Sure, it's way overkill for what you need, but at 59.99 AR, I challenge you to find a better unit, and as you can see, it comes with a 7 year warranty.
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/index.ph...g&promoid=1261

For the sake of buying it all from the same place, here is a Gigabyte 560 ti with superior cooling to the reference card you have chosen for $10 less.
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=612...e&promoid=1261

Looked through all the PSUs there below $75. The only one that's actually acceptable that has an 80+ rating is:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=029730

This OCZ model is also acceptable with modular cables, yet costs a bit more:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=019983

You want to stay away from Corsair's builder series. They're not terrible, but they're not good either. Any other PSU line from them is top notch if you can afford it. As far as the GPU goes, you're going to be hard pressed to find a better deal in-store. I'd hop on that right away if ordering online isn't an option.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I would like a source on this, but even if it's true it sounds like a driver issue.
    Here's a personal "source".. a friend of mine bought some MSI (i think?) 560 and it crashed in BF3 every 10 minutes until he managed to underclock it. It worked perfectly in all other games. The drivers of today are so optimized to specific games that it's almost like we are back in DOS days where every game had to have it's own driver...

BF3 also listed this as a general issue i assume because they didn't really know exactly what brands were affected and possubly because they didn't want to get sued or maybe had some devilish contract with nVidia...

Edit: btw the issue was fixed with a BIOS update to the card that I think changed voltages or something.

And now I read the OP and I realize all GW2 threads gets derailed?

---------- Post added 2012-07-22 at 10:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    Progress!

Just wanted to verify with you guys that a GTX 560 Ti and a Corsair CX600 would not only work together, but work in my system. If you can find something better on that site and think it's noteworthy, make sure it's available in St.Catharines.

If so, I'll have them both in about 2 weeks!
    Sounds awesome! The 560 is a very solid card, I do have my doubts about CX-series PSU build quality but hey you have warranty I guess.
    Last edited by Nitrax; 2012-07-22 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Looked through all the PSUs there below $75. The only one that's actually acceptable that has an 80+ rating is:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=029730

This OCZ model is also acceptable with modular cables, yet costs a bit more:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=019983

You want to stay away from Corsair's builder series. They're not terrible, but they're not good either. Any other PSU line from them is top notch if you can afford it. As far as the GPU goes, you're going to be hard pressed to find a better deal in-store. I'd hop on that right away if ordering online isn't an option.
    Hehe same OCZ PSU from NCIX for 29.99 right now too. The one I listed though is worth the extra cash though.
    http://www.ncix.ca/products/index.ph...y&promoid=1261

There is an NCIX store in Markham I believe too btw. Might check Mississauga too.
    Last edited by Dizey; 2012-07-22 at 11:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another update!

After talking with a few people at work, browsing Canada Computer's stock and referencing the recommendations in this thread countless times, I've decided on an EVGA GTX 560 Ti and a Corsair 700w PSU.

I'm so excited to have a capable computer!
    [/url]

Quick question, I'll probably be getting GW2 until Archage releases in the US, I don't know much about it but I'm assuming my i7 920 OC to 4.2 ghz will destroy the processing requirements? Just making sure because if I can't play it without lag I'll be very upset and this thread is worrying me a little in that department.

Off topic: MMO champ MAKE A FORUM APP FOR MY IPHONE!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just wanted to double check with you guys, is there any actual difference between this and this card? AR Vs. KR...I don't even know what those letters mean.
    [/url]