Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Quitting Video Games Cold Turkey

Today, I uninstalled every Blizzard game on my computer! And it felt great!

I had other stuff too...but I had to delete it to free space for D3...

Anyway, this is not a rant. I don't hate videogames (or Blizzard for that matter). I just really love things that are not videogames so much more atm.

Looking back at all the time I wasted. It's a little bit sad. But that isn't the motivation of this post.

The point is...

Are there things you would rather be doing than gaming?

Go do them.
    Last edited by Callace; 2012-07-09 at 01:03 AM. Reason: ugly typo

Not really, I game for fun, as should everyone. Why would anyone play if they don't have fun?

You make this sound like you're quitting smoking or something.

Anyway, we'll see you back soon. Enjoy your vacation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, gaming is a hobby and something I do in my free time, it's no different than any other hobby in my opinion.

I have no clue why people uninstall the games. What's the difference between not playing them and uninstalling them?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I have no clue why people uninstall the games. What's the difference between not playing them and uninstalling them?
    Free harddrive space!

Anways, good job OP! I have no desire to stop gaming since it's one of only two hobbies that I really hold, but it's good that you're giving yourself more free time to do things that you like more.

I don't play when there's something I'd rather be doing. It's like magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find its more the other way around and that everything that is not a video game gets in my way of playing video games and so I need to find more ways to stop having to do them/be effected by them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since when were video games, compared to other hobbies, wasted time? If I had never gotten into video games, I probably wouldn't be as intelligent, creative, social, or ambitious as I am now. In other words, if it weren't for video games, I wouldn't be the "me" that I love.

This is why I encourage to look back at those years that you've played video games and ask, what have you learned from playing video games, and how have they changed you in a positive way? Not that I mean you have to return to gaming if you don't want to, but I'm telling you to use what you've gained from it in whatever other thing you choose to do in the future.
    Last edited by SunspotAnims; 2012-07-08 at 11:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been thinking about this alot. It's become less and less as much of an aspect of my life than it was before. To be honest if the game market continues to "evolve" as many people on this forum prophesize (gaming a la carte, RMAH, microtransactions etc etc) I may just quite entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are video games a 'bad thing'? Why should you go 'do other stuff'?

Is playing Solataire by yourself just as bad?

I spend most of my time with my friends in games. I spend more time with my family abroad because of video games. I'm generally more social too.

Playing and messing with video games is a part of my income as well. Why is it a 'waste of time' to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    If the game is still on your computer, there will always be a temptation to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2500 View Post
    If the game is still on your computer, there will always be a temptation to play it.
    And what's wrong with playing it? It's a game, you play it in spare time for fun or as a hobby. It's not like, as I said earlier, leaving some cigarettes in your house after you've quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Not really, I game for fun, as should everyone. Why would anyone play if they don't have fun?

You make this sound like you're quitting smoking or something.

Anyway, we'll see you back soon. Enjoy your vacation.
    There has never been a truer statement o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    That videogames are somehow a waste of time is just an old social stigma. It's nonsense really. To me, playing tennis is just as much a "waste of time". Or watching sports, or TV, or reading a book, or running around on a field.

It's a hobby damnit, make what you want of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still have Steam, with all of my games ready to click and play. I still have the CD's, ready to pop in and play/install.

Outside of literally throwing away your computer, that same 'temptation' is still there. But seriously... what's the problem with entertainment? Why is it being attributed to drugs, alcohol, and smoking?

I game at night when my small child is asleep. It's not like I can go out and do anything. It's probably the most productive thing I could do, besides scrubbing the baseboards or some other housecleaning nonsense, but eff that, who does that at 9pm anyway? Everyone else in my position (parenting a small child and therefore at home nearly every night) watches craptons of TV during this time. I'll stick with video games, thanks; they're cheaper, more social, and better for your brain than staring at reality TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt I could fill all my freetime throughout the day if I did not have video games, especially during summer break. I hang out with my friends a lot and do plenty of stuff outside my computer, but I would still have hours upon hours everyday I would either fill up with working out, anime, or TV. And why replace a hobby I enjoy for a hobby I like less. Anyway, enjoy the break.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    And what's wrong with playing it? It's a game, you play it in spare time for fun or as a hobby. It's not like, as I said earlier, leaving some cigarettes in your house after you've quit.
    I've done this. They go stale pretty quickly. After a week or two, no one is going to smoke them anyway. :P

Good for you OP?
    I mean me personally, I can't stand not having something to play. I prefer games over the stupid shit most people my age do (woo-lets-get-drunk-at-a-smoke-filled-bar-and-look-desperate-every-night) That being said I also love outdoors like biking, hiking, archery...

But if it's something that is impacting your health the way smoking was for me then sure quit gaming, otherwise have fun and don't be so negative towards it.

Every new piece of entertainment when it first came out was considered a waste of time, Even reading books waaaaay back when was viewed weirdly Just as watching tv was when it first came out. I think it's more of change coming about that people don't feel comfortable with. It's different and unknown and it scares people.