Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Wait, wait. I've been stopped by cops on a number (read: shit-ton) of occasions just walking down the road. They ask for my ID, or if not on me, my social security number, and run it through dispatch or whatever. usually when I had just gotten off work and walking home, when I was tired as shit and they just saw me the fuck walking out the door of Wal-Mart because there were there at that time anyway. Are you telling me it is unlawful for them to do something like that?
    It's not unlawful to ask you anything - just like it isn't unlawful for them to ask to search your vehicle without probable cause.

The reality is you just have to say "no." But, if you have nothing to hide, this will generally make the situation much worse as the officer will make the reasonable presumption that you have something to hide (warrants, drugs, weapons, etc) and can generally always find some sort of "probable cause" to allow for lawful detaining. You aren't required to have identification (in most states, not sure if there are some that do) but you are required to give your real name and date of birth. If you lie, you're in some trouble.

What is funniest about this thread, though, is how everyone just instantly assumes that this story is even remotely true. It wouldn't blow my mind, really, because NYPD (and most departments along the east coast) is notoriously bad and corrupt but these kind of stories are usually bogus and horribly exaggerated and one sided. This story could have easily been posted as "50 year old couple dancing, police walk down and they immediately start swinging cane-knives at officers before being detained." Stop believing awful online news websites like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Wait, wait. I've been stopped by cops on a number (read: shit-ton) of occasions just walking down the road. They ask for my ID, or if not on me, my social security number, and run it through dispatch or whatever. usually when I had just gotten off work and walking home, when I was tired as shit and they just saw me the fuck walking out the door of Wal-Mart because there were there at that time anyway. Are you telling me it is unlawful for them to do something like that?
    honestly id say yes it is.

would not asking for id without probable cause constitue a illegal search?

as far as i was aware, in america you have the right to basacly do what you want as long as it is not a danger to others.

then again im not american or a lawyer, however without cause why should they want to run a check on you unless your acting suspicious.

edit: the daily mail is usually the left wing paper(atleast i think its left wing) its one of the more popular "upper scale" tabloids
    Last edited by mmoc4505e530a1; 2012-07-09 at 09:41 AM.

Doesn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobumon View Post
    honestly id say yes it is.

would not asking for id without probable cause constitue a illegal search?

as far as i was aware, in america you have the right to basacly do what you want as long as it is not a danger to others.

then again im not american or a lawyer, however without cause why should they want to run a check on you unless your acting suspicious.

edit: the daily mail is usually the left wing paper(atleast i think its left wing) its one of the more popular "upper scale" tabloids
    Again, this is the same as when officers ask to search a vehicle during a routine traffic stop. They can ask, and you can say no.

They can ask you to stop and talk to them when you're walking down the street, and you can legally say no and continue on. The question is whether this is in your best interest if you've done nothing wrong, because the reality is it isn't very hard to "create" some sort of bogus probable cause and detain you for a search. That obviously isn't legal, but when it then becomes a "my word vs the officers word" situation, is it worth it? Will a lawyer be willing to take your case when you try to sue or defend yourself in court on a contingent basis?

The answer is, again - it's not illegal to ask, but it's not worth it for you to try to fight it unless you know you have some buddy with a camera watching from a secret spot to prove what exactly really happens so you have some sort of evidence on your side. Just give them the ID, let them confirm you have no warrants, and move on with your life three minutes later.

Or fight it and refuse and hope that the officer is cool and let's you move on, or go to court battling for your rights for years. I respect the latter choice, it's just not worth the effort and potential hardships to me.

Deleted
    Could have said something to them instead

In other news: Cops being powerhungry pigs!
    Here's Tom with the weather...

Deleted
    I guess all the real crimes have been solved then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Well that seems unecessary and ludicrous.
    Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind

I might have been more empathetic to them had they not sued, I really hate people that sue for every godamn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlily View Post
    I ask this in all sincerity;

is "The Daily Mail" considered an authentic, journal of news or would it be more associated with say, "The National Enquirer" ?

only asking b/c the lack of or overstated "facts" & reporting could be skewed for sensationalism, although MANY "real" news agencies are guilty of that too! ^^
    It's a hybrid of a newspaper and a tabloid. Should often take it with a grain of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the Charleston. Sounds to me like the police officer was a bit of a dick, but the couple involved decided to backtalk instead of just being polite and respectful to the cop. If you aren't respectful to the police, they can and will make your life very uncomfortable for a few hours.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

This happens when every damn policeman has a brain the size of a peanut.

Why would you:
    1st ask for their ID
    2nd if they were dancing to close to the edge, I would just come to them and tell them to not be so near the edge ( IF IT'S SUCH A BIG PROBLEM! )
    3rd Why the hell would i be interested if someone is dancing there! Their problem, they didn't do anything bad.
    4th GOD DAMN tackled an 50 year old man! If someone would tackle my father, i would tear the guy to pieces!
    That's why I hate New York and that's why, in between other things, ppl hate US.

I hope the couple wins *period*

Edit: And I really have a big problem with anybody asking your own ID just like that.
    Hate these cops.
    Last edited by Baloneyz; 2012-07-09 at 02:24 PM.

Deleted
    Daily mail......

And I'll have that with a pinch of salt please..

The charges were removed, and now the couple is suing for damages or something. So in the end the police realized they were being kind of power-hungry stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    It's why you don't do the Safety Dance. Cops are not your friends; they don't dance.
    O rly?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    The charges were removed, and now the couple is suing for damages or something. So in the end the police realized they were being kind of power-hungry stupid.
    did they? Where did you see that?

10+ Year Old Account
    I completely agree with the arrest as it followed normal procedure.

For people that don't live here in NYC, subway platforms can be dangerous. The last thing we need is people dancing on the platform with the potential to knock people down in to the tracks. The officer had every right to ask for ID because whether you like it or not, they were justifiably endangering people in public. Since it would be a ticket-able offense, and they didn't have ID, the officer has every right to bring them to the precinct to issue their tickets.
    Last edited by Reg; 2012-07-09 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynta Vali Daseriu View Post
    "
    A two-stepping couple in their 50s say were trotted off to jail after police in New York City arrested them for dancing on a subway platform.
    Caroline Stern, a dentist, and George Hess, a movie prop master, were waiting for a train at the Columbus Circle station after a late evening at Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Midsummer Night’s Swing last year when they began dancing the Charleston to a musician playing the steel drums.
    Ms Stern says she and her boyfriend were feeling the beat and there were very few people on the platform so they started moving to the rhythm.
    That's when police came in and spoiled the fun, they told the New York Post.
    'They said, "What are you doing?" and we said, "We’re dancing,"' she recalled.
    'And they said, "You can’t do that on the platform."'The officers demanded their ID. When Ms Stern only had a credit car, the police ordered the couple to go with them.
    When Mr Hess pulled out a camera to start recording the incident, the officers called for backup and the situation turned nasty, the couple says.
    They claim more police ran to the subway platform and tackled Mr Hess, 54, to the floor and handcuffed him. Ms Stern, 55, was also cuffed and arrested.

Officers charged them with resiting arrested and disorderly conduct for 'impeding the flow of traffic.'Ms Stern told the Post the subway station was nearly empty at the time.'It was absolutely ridiculous that this happened,' she said.Prosecutors dropped all charges against the couple, though not before they spent 23 hours in jail.
    As a result of the arrested, Ms Stern and Mr Hess are now suing the city of New York for the arrest."

-
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-platform.html

So do you guys think the arrest was valid? From the story, it doesn't sound like they were resisting arrest, or impeding traffic. I would have been suspicious of public intoxication if I were an officer, but that's about it.
    Subways by definition is full of traffic. So, i am very sure they were impending trafic.

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 02:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    The two-step is such a high-risk dance.

Edit:

Also, is there some kind of rule there stating you can't dance?

Then, a bit unrelated...

"Prosecutors dropped all charges against the couple, though not before they spent 23 hours in jail. "

Gee, all charges were dropped. Funny, that.
    well. i guess common sense does not apply to civilians. New york is full of traffic any given day. Subways are tight, dancing is not a good idea especially when subways stop and people get out (people died getting stomped couple of time). Common sense dictates they don't do something like it. Tourists maybe. Police are getting overleazous here though. pushing to the ground is too much if that actually happened.

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 02:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    what side of the story? unless they were attempting suicide in front of a train i see zero reason for the cop to have interrupted them. he didn't need to show ID, he proceeded to video tape the cop, he didnt take kindly to that and has ended up with a law suite against the police station.

thats the only thing i see here.
    Cops can interupt them because they endanger public safety.

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 02:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    If that's what they wanted them to stop for, they wouldn't need to bloody tackle them for it.
    we don't know tackle actually happened. No reason to do it at all. subway floors are dirty. I doubt police in uniform gonna do that just for the hack of it.

Taking pictures/video in the subway is a big no-no. It's not technically illegal, but some parts of the subway require a permit, and others require getting permission first. Even in places where no permit is required, the authorities will still "investigate" and make it damn near impossible.

So it's not shocking that the police reacted to the dude taking out his camera, though tackling the guy was unnecessary imo.