Poll: Is this griefing on Pvp servers?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Do they stay in character when they are doing it ? Is it griefing if they do it RP style ? If they says "LOL..sux it" I would be really mad. If they say "We have slayeth thou champions wretched Humans and we shall smite thee if thou choseth" Then that's completely OK.

** obviously I have no idea how people talk on RP servers

I can't speak for other RP servers, but I play on Steamwheedle Cartel (US), and I like to call us the RP server that wasn't. The "RP" denotation in our case is kind of vestigial at this point.

Also, on a bit of reflection, since this is a question 100% aimed at those that play on a PvP server, wouldn't this topic be better served in the PvP forums?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I feel no sense of entitlement... I earn everything I earn or I don't earn it.

Corpse camping is pathetic. If you can't kill them at their full strength, then you don't deserve to kill them.
    If I can wait ten seconds and kill them quickly when they're at half strength, I can improve my number of kills per hour. It's all about efficiency, baby! So much better - and they get pissed off, to boot! I might even get an angry post on the server forum out of it! More notoriety and fame!

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 03:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Flammington View Post
    So you're crying about being bad, because you die all the time OP? Get a grip, and maybe leave that PvP server that you decided to play on without reading what they're about?

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    Any time you're making it so that a person cannot play, that's griefing. Corpse camping at a GY with uneven levels, and potentially corpse camping anywhere depending on the circumstances, are the only ones that really apply imo, as there's no way to get back into the game to play. The rest are irritating, and some are only done by bullies or people who really aren't good enough to engage in a fair fight, but them's the brakes.
    Corpse-hop to guards?
    Log off and log another character?
    Ask guildies for help?
    Ask more powerful people for help?
    Make friends so you have someone to ask for help?
    Corpse-hop someplace out of the way so you can hearthstone?
    Queue up for BGs?
    Queue up for dungeons?
    Queue up for LFR?
    Get a summon?
    Rez behind a tree or piece of terrain, mount up and fly away?
    Bribe the ganker/camper?
    Pay someone to help you out?

Ummm yeah, I guess you're right. "...there's no way to get back into the game to play."

/sarcasm

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Attacking someone who you know cannot fight back fairly is at the very least making you an ass.
    Acceptable in the eyes of blizzard maybe, but it does not change what you are.
    If it is persistent then yes I would call it griefing.
    PvP realms may allow that sort of behaviour, but it is a coward who hides behind the rules in the name of pvp.
    Upset about someone who didn't ask your permission before attacking you? If a person is on a PVP server ruleset, then that permission has already been granted.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. not griefing, you chose for a pvp server.
    2. not griefing, you chose for a pvp server.
    3. not griefing, you chose for a pvp server.
    4. not griefing, you chose for a pvp server. You´re a douche if you do this though.
    5. not griefing, you chose for a pvp server. You´re a douche if you do this though.
    6. not griefing, you chose for a pvp server. You´re a douche if you do this though.
    7. yes this is griefing
    8. not griefing, this is a normal strategy for random battlegrounds. It is lame if they won´t score that last flag.
    9. not griefing, you chose for a pvp server.

This is my opinion, and I think a lot of people share it. I used to play on a pvp server (not anymore since I transferred to a friend's server) and hated it when I was just questing (be it lowlvl or lowgeared) and didn't stand a chance. But it was my choice to join a pvp server and this is what you get.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flammington View Post
    So you're crying about being bad, because you die all the time OP? Get a grip, and maybe leave that PvP server that you decided to play on without reading what they're about?
    What this guy said... you need to either get better at PvP and learn all the classes to a certain extent so you can prepare yourself properly or... keep getting killed and coming on mmo-champion to complain about something none of us can help you with... literally... this thread has no purpose other than someone complaining about a part of the game that's been around forever... here's my advice... Dealwithit.jpg.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by reohh View Post
    If a level 85 is camping a populous level 40 town then yes it is griefing. Level 40's literally have no chance
    Nope, not even if they have friends. Or mains. Or guildies. Or people on their faction with some cojones. Grow a pair, man up. Get some action. Find another place to quest, level up in dungeons or BGs and return the favour.

Interesting...only time I have ever been attacked on a PvP server is if
    1. I was a much lower level than the attacker
    2. I was < 50% HP and engaged with quest mobs
    3. The attacker was joined by several of his/her friends

None of this is griefing per se...just pretty much the sad state of what people call pvp on a "PvP server"

Deleted
    "Attacking someone on a pvp server is never griefing."

Going to side with this. However there are situations, which should be rectified via game design if needed. If a level 85 clown decides to kill quest givers in outland for hours and only stops and happily flaps away on his beginner gryphon if somebody logs to a main, more guards should spawn and stronger guards should spawn after a certain period of time. Yes I said it: more guards.

Overall WoW pvp is incredibly meaningless and has virtually no potential for griefing if you come from a game where you could loot somebody after you killed him. Even a corpse camper wastes exactly as much of his time as of the "victims" time for no material gain.

edit: Some of my funnest screenshots are from killing the alliance trauma doctor and a confused low level dwarf in Theramore with my rogue. I used a fishing pole and let the other guy live who didn't attack me.
    Last edited by mmocabce60bc47; 2012-07-09 at 04:11 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crackleslap View Post
    No to all.
    Even the "Attacking someone on a pvp server is never griefing." part? Well read.

If it's a lower level it's griefing. If they're corpse camping for a while it's griefing. If they're corpse camping a lower level, then they really need to get a life and I pity them.

Was questing on my Warlock the other week in Nagrand and two level 85 Hordes land, /laugh and kill me. Then they just sat their waiting. Surely they have better things to do with their lives? I'm not QQing, I rolled on a PvP server so it's my own fault, I just logged onto another character. That still doesn't mean it's not griefing. They're doing it for the sole intention of making someone else miserable/forcing them to log out. There's no possible way a level 64 Warlock can take on two level 85s, so sitting their corpse camping is definitely griefing.

its all part of being on a pvp realm.

Deleted
    Everything except corpse camping is okay on a pvp server.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    "Attacking someone on a pvp server is never griefing."
    Overall WoW pvp is incredibly meaningless and has virtually no potential for griefing if you come from a game where you could loot somebody after you killed him. Even a corpse camper wastes exactly as much of his time as of the "victims" time for no material gain.
    A corpse camper would probably disagree with this 100%. For some, and I've known\met a few, there is nothing more satisfying in this world then causing someone to rage quit. And they would probably just explode with happiness if they learned they caused someone to quit the game from it, even if it was a true level 5 new player. They would probably go on to say they did the community a service by getting rid of a bad player\quitter type..etc..etc.

For bored people (regardless of the game) griefing\trolling\Team Killing becomes 100% of their fun and they would probably argue it's worth every second spent.

Message Deleted
    Last edited by reboot-me; 2012-12-05 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrion View Post
    No it doesn't apply to anything. Level 85 can camp level 1 however it pleases him.

Also there was a case on my realm where at the launch of the cataclysm rank 1 hunter got ganked by mage and rogue while leveling through hyal. He managed to kill them twice then they called reinforcements (important thing to say he was rank 1, full Wrathful geared while they had lower ilvl than him) one shaman, he still managed to beat them all 3 and decided that, when they won't let him quest, why would he let them. He corpse ganked them for 2 hours when he got whisper from GM to stop what he was doing and continue with his normal play. He declined and kept ganking, on which he got 3 hours ban.

Later that day when he logged again, he immediately opened a ticket, reporting that GM which banned him. He said that GM got fired and had official apologies on the behalf of Blizzard GM team. Also in the response it was written that "anything involving PVP on PVP server is allowed."

I'll try to find the source of this story.
    He's lying. He would have no way of knowing if the GM got fired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Everything except corpse camping is okay on a pvp server.
    If you're trying to tell me that there are exceptions as to what you can do on a PvP server... you're wrong, dead wrong. If I want to be an asshole and gank someone for hours upon hours without letting them do anything, I'm allowed to do so... Now if said person being ganked wants to leave... there's nothing stopping him from setting up a plan to get away... all he has to do is rez and get on his flying mount... if he is unable to find 1.5 seconds of free time to mount up, chances are he's pretty bad at the game and by ganking him over and over, they'll realize they need to get better.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously the definition is extremely subjective.

To me, "griefing" specifically refers to harassment in the form of player killing. It has to cross that threshold from simply killing enemies you encounter out in the world to becoming a personal vendetta against a particular player where your immediate goal seems to be to make their game time miserable.

Killing someone once in a pvp realm is not only fair but perhaps encouraged. Killing them a couple times is also reasonable. Killing them questing or in town or AFK is all part of the game. Even if you're level 85 and he's level 15, it's an expectation of a PvP server. I mean, you might be a petty asshole to pick on someone 70 levels lower than you, but it's still fair game.

It's not until you cross the threshold of harassment, if you are following around that level 15 and killing him every time he rezzes or tries to hearth or mount or escape, or you camp his corpse or him in the graveyard, to the point where he is unable to even play the game for an extended period of time, that I'd really say it becomes griefing.

But again, it's subjective. Some people might think even that is fair play. And regardless of what you think, it's still probably allowed in terms of Blizzard policy.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2012-07-09 at 04:28 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    If you're trying to tell me that there are exceptions as to what you can do on a PvP server... you're wrong, dead wrong. If I want to be an asshole and gank someone for hours upon hours without letting them do anything, I'm allowed to do so... Now if said person being ganked wants to leave... there's nothing stopping him from setting up a plan to get away... all he has to do is rez and get on his flying mount... if he is unable to find 1.5 seconds of free time to mount up, chances are he's pretty bad at the game and by ganking him over and over, they'll realize they need to get better.
    I'm pretty sure blizzard would disagree with your view on that corpse camping is ok, since camping someone for hours would earn you a ban if they reported you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cammancy View Post
    Uh-oh, looks like we've got some fierce defenders of Camping and proper pvp here.

Yes, PvP means 'it's red it's dead be ready at all times' or whatever, but if I see a lowbie who is just trying to quest (I'm talkin' like, level 14), I'll just leave them alone. If I encounter another 85, or an 80 that's derping around, then of course I'll kill them.

I really don't get any joy from killing a lowbie because it's the same thing as going into the barrens and killing the raptors there. You just one shot them and... whoohoo, i guess? You don't even get any honor. At least low level raptors cough up some silver.
    They are your enemies! You must kill them, because... They are evil, and stuff!

Personally I will kill them partly because I myself have been killed soooooooooo many times by high levels so it's a little bit of what comes around goes around, but also in hopes of them getting their main to get some action going. Although I never really go out to look for low levels, nor do I ever encounter them because A my server is next to dead, B it's Horde dominated, C everyone stays in Orgrimmar or Stormwind anyways.

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 06:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by reboot-me View Post
    Attacking someone on a pvp server is never griefing. No

If I'm being inconvenienced it's griefing. No.

If it's unequal levels it's griefing. No.

If the gear is really unequal it's griefing. No, 85 = 85. Fair game.

If I have mobs on me it's griefing. No

If I have mobs on me and I'm at low health and my cooldowns aren't up it's griefing. No.

If I'm just trying to quest and this idiot won't leave me alone it's griefing. No.

If he's camping my corpse it's griefing. NO

If they're camping our corpses and the GY then it's griefing. NO

If I'm attacked in a city when I'm just trying to get stuff done it's griefing. No.

/thread
    I think you meant yes on the first one, or do you think attacking someone on a PvP server can ever be griefing?

---------- Post added 2012-07-09 at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    I'm pretty sure blizzard would disagree with your view on that corpse camping is ok, since camping someone for hours would earn you a ban if they reported you.
    Camping someone even for hours or days on a PvP server is NOT bannable.

I'd really only say corpse camping a low level.

Corpse camping itself not bannable to the best of my knowledge. The fact that rules allow for it doesn't make the offender any less of a dick, but unless said offender is exploiting the game in some way to camp you, it's perfectly legal and acceptable on a PvP server.

Now, if the offender starts doing things like teabagging you, has an offensive name, etc, you totally have a valid reason to report him. But GMs are basically going to tell you "fuck off to a PvE server" if you report someone just for camping you. My friend back in BC tried to do that once, and that's the response he got.

Also yes, apparently teabagging is a reportable offense that can get someone a warning, at least according to one of my guildies who did it to some horde he was ganking. I never knew that until recently. o_O
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2012-07-09 at 05:06 PM.

Personally I don't feel anything should be considered griefing on a PvP server. You signed up to be flagged 24/7, if you don't like it move to a PvE server. I don't have much sympathy for some one that went "OH I want to play on a server where anyone can attack me whenever they want" then goes "Whaaaaa I don't like getting killed".