Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't know if you've seen these videos, but just by taking a look at some of their videos from their studios in Bellavue, you can instantly understand the drive and passion in them all.

Really suggest watching them to better understand the ArenaNet team.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    I love the growly voice.

<3 steve blum
    > Charr. IMA STICK YOUR PELT ON MY FRIGGIN WALL!

OP: As far as making money from this game is concerned, they made the cash shop a completely optional feature. You can trade ingame money for cash shop Gems and vice versa. Paying money for the gems is 100% optional and you can access all game items / features without paying a dime past the box price. That doesn't sound like they're money grabbing, evil or insidious.
    Compare them to a company like CD Project Red, who are gamers and made The Witcher and The Witcher 2 which are fantastic looking AAA standard games. They listen to the community constantly and they provide free updates and reliably fast bug fix patches. This is the kind of treatment you can expect from Arenanet. They will be adding new features for free over time and the only time you'll pay extra money is 1. You decide to spend money on the cash shop for whatever reason or 2. They've released an expansion.

Any other questions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Reality - Neither black nor white. Merely shades of gray.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Rashanda - thanks for putting those up. I hadn't seen that 2nd one before and really enjoyed it
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Just because they've worked at Blizzard doesn't mean that they're evil, money hungry monsters.
    And FWIW just because they DON'T work at Blizzard doesn't mean they're NOT evil, money hungry monsters, either.
    -Styopa

I think most people miss that as a company, arenanet like most reasonably successful gaming companies is all of the above and more. To be successful in this business you have to have at least some part that is "honest and good" to get and keep customers. You also need the "evil and insidious" part to monetize these customers as efficiently as possible. Competition in gaming industry is harsh enough that if you're missing these features, you'll likely go broke, either from not having people buy your games, or from not getting enough money from product that you're selling.

Obviously, these roles are often filled by different people inside the company.

Be warry of any business that is NOT out to make money. That's the entire point of a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    Be warry of any business that is NOT out to make money. That's the entire point of a business.
    Pretty much this!

I do wish they had been a little more clear with the whole "pre-purchaseVSpre-order" fiasco - however I've come to see over the last 20 years of buying games that stuff happens and gets mixed up with regularity! If I had known then what I know now, I most likely would have only pre-ordered my families copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    Pretty much this!

I do wish they had been a little more clear with the whole "pre-purchaseVSpre-order" fiasco - however I've come to see over the last 20 years of buying games that stuff happens and gets mixed up with regularity! If I had known then what I know now, I most likely would have only pre-ordered my families copies.
    They literally could not have been any more clear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I entered this thread thinking "okay, how many words will pass before "Blizzard" pops up"
    So obvious.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
    You mean like non-profit businesses? Yeah, those non-profits are so evil.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    So called 'charities' do more harm to the world than blizzard ever did or ever will. Keep that in mind when you're defending the non-profit underdogs.
    No, for once I am being serious.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    I entered this thread thinking "okay, how many words will pass before "Blizzard" pops up"
    So obvious.
    If its a topic discussing and MMO company as a whole, why wouldn't blizzard come up? who cares? take part in the thread or not its up to you.

OT: its going to be a different business model, buy to play, and buy for convenience. If people end up liking the game enough lots of them will toss their money up for gems left and right. Its easier for Anet to display this positive underdog attitude because of said business model and cause they are just starting out.

I paid 60 bucks for Skyrim played it for X amount of time liked it, slept happy. Plan on doing the same thing with Guild Wars 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    They literally could not have been any more clear.
    ...that's what I thought, however all pre-orders from Amazon and Ebgames since early June have allowed entry into the BWE's, 3 days early access, and the Hero Band, contrary to even what Rubi says on Twitter !

...that's what I thought, however all pre-orders from Amazon and Ebgames since early June have allowed entry into the BWE's, 3 days early access, and the Hero Band, contrary to even what Rubi says on Twitter !
    That's the fault of a 3rd party mess up, not ArenaNet. They have no control over the retailer's mistakes, for the most part.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    Because PETA has totally never done terrible things for the sake of pushing their goals...
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Because PETA has totally never done terrible things for the sake of pushing their goals...
    I just want to wear my mink coat in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    That's the fault of a 3rd party mess up, not ArenaNet. They have no control over the retailer's mistakes, for the most part.
    While that may be true, Anet continued to tweet that their 'original' rules for pre-order vs pre-purchase were in effect even after being advised of what the online E-tailers were doing (Note that this did begin more than a month ago, and even still their FAQ points out the original difference - even though pre-orders have recieved confirmation that their codes are good, and what they're good for - BWE, 3 days EA and the Band)

I'm not in any way upset that pre-orders are getting the bennies...it just would have been nice to know - instead of thinking I had to drop $240 all at once !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Books View Post
    ona side note blizzard isnt money hungry, activision is...
    You smell bad. I typed this with my left hand so when you read my other posts that I write with my right hand only, remember that I'm a nice internet dude!

While that may be true, Anet continued to tweet that their 'original' rules for pre-order vs pre-purchase were in effect even after being advised of what the online E-tailers were doing (Note that this did begin more than a month ago, and even still their FAQ points out the original difference - even though pre-orders have recieved confirmation that their codes are good, and what they're good for - BWE, 3 days EA and the Band)

I'm not in any way upset that pre-orders are getting the bennies...it just would have been nice to know - instead of thinking I had to drop $240 all at once !
    $240 for what?

Australian collector's edition? o_O