10+ Year Old Account

Looking to buy SSD for a build, Internal HDD needed if I have an External HDD?

Title says most of it.

I have a 500GB External, and was looking to just pickup a 60GB SSD for my new build. Think I'd be fine?

I don't DL tons of music or videos or anything. I have like 400GB still left open on it atm.

Planning on putting Windows and WoW, and maybe a couple other games on the SSD. Everything else on the External.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Are you happy with the performance from the external drive you have, like is it fine playing games from it? If that is the case then yes all you really need is a SSD, I would suggest you go for a 120/128GB though.

If you spend 100gb outta your external, then a 60gb ssd might be enough depending on how many games you plan to install. But ya 120/128 GB might be the better choice as Nocturnal stated. You can future proof it, try finding one on sale or something. But if money is tight, 60 GB ssd shud be good still.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    Title says most of it.

I have a 500GB External, and was looking to just pickup a 60GB SSD for my new build. Think I'd be fine?

I don't DL tons of music or videos or anything. I have like 400GB still left open on it atm.

Planning on putting Windows and WoW, and maybe a couple other games on the SSD. Everything else on the External.
    World of Warcraft takes up 25GB of memory: http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...ld-of-warcraft

So that only leaves you with 35 GB's left. Not alot left really and plus any SSD or HDD doesn't come with what it says exactly. It comes with alittle less. I don't know what verison of windows you are running, but windows 7 takes 16 GB's: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...m-requirements

So that leaves you with less than 19 GB's to put anything else extra on it. I would suggest buying the Samsung 830 128GB's for 89 US dollars, if you can purchase one today before midnight if you live in the USA. Go to this forum for more details:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...he-9th%29-ONLY

But I would atleast look into getting 100 GBs if not more if it was me personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then my next question is an SSD worth it? I mean, a 500GB HDD is about the same price. I just wanted an SSD for the faster boot times. I run WoW from my external now, and it isn't a problem, really. No different than running it on my Internal.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Yes it is worth it. It is the best upgrade you can get for every day usage.

If you want an SSD for faster boot times then you can get even smaller SSD just for windows only, and save a few dollars. I would at least get a 30GB SSD It is mostly what you want. Windows 8, requires 20 GB for the 64 bit verison. So a 30GB SSD would give you some breathing room for future upgrades in OS.