Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Clattuc View Post
    For now, what this means in practice is that if free-to-15 really takes off and brings lots of new people in (I have my doubts), they'll all be dumped on your already crowded destination servers. Enjoy.
    Thanks, I will.

The more the merrier, frankly. Enjoy your vast emptiness.
    Last edited by Profyrion; 2012-07-11 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Edited to include quote
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

For now, what this means in practice is that if free-to-15 really takes off and brings lots of new people in (I have my doubts), they'll all be dumped on your already crowded destination servers. Enjoy.
    uh... that's a good thing. you don't want new players playing on servers with nobody there. that is discouraging.

you want new people on the full servers. there hasn't been queues in a long time yet servers are populated. this is the right thing to do.

for some reason there is people too stubborn to transfer yet there is no reason to keep a server up for those 5 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Thanks, I will.

It's not "the more the merrier" when destination servers are already near capacity. I'll certainly be happy if they can attract new players, but it's going to be a problem shoehorning more people onto current destination servers.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Thanks, I will.

See? We're both happy.

Still experimenting...

Quote from their site: "Later this summer, any remaining characters on selected origin servers will be automatically moved to designated destination servers. We will provide additional details regarding the automatic character transfer process at that time."

So, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakainen View Post
    Quote from their site: "Later this summer, any remaining characters on selected origin servers will be automatically moved to designated destination servers. We will provide additional details regarding the automatic character transfer process at that time."

So, yeah.
    Good, that should free up more resources for the populated servers and (if it happens with X-realm) for WZ servers which would increase performance of these servers while allowing more characters to play at the same time.

What BW is doing with all of this is what would have kept me playing WoW and it's the reason I started playing SWTOR again after D3 came out (well, D3 got boring too :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Drakainen View Post

So, yeah.
    I had imperial characters on one origin server and republic characters on another but both origin servers had the same destination server so I didn't move all my characters. I now don't have enough character slots on the destination server to move all the alts I left on the origin servers.

Since I couldn't find the quote mentioned, was anything said about what might happen to those characters that wouldn't have a character slot available after an automatic move?

Edit: Found the link for the quote, and it doesn't give an answer to my question.
    Last edited by Karheim; 2012-07-11 at 02:49 PM. Reason: (1) Missing spaces between words; (2) Updated info

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    Server mergers are a foregone conclusion, the only variable is time. Naturally they would like to bring previous players back to the game. If they left inactive accounts on dead servers or outright deleted them they would have a very small chance of getting any of those subscribers back. My guess is they hope to get all active accounts to move voluntarily and then merge the inactive accounts that remain on the origin servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koalachan View Post
    1) Free move for people that take it.
    2) Lock new people from rolling on servers
    3) Give warning to people who have not taken the move their server will shut down
    4) "shut down" said servers, move them to a back room where players can not access them accept from website to transfer existing characters off of them.
    5) Profit.

You don't need to merge servers to merge servers, and this way people who reactivate their accounts can still move their toons to play the game. Anything other than what they have already done or said they would do are merely options on the table they are considering, but not what they will do for sure, i.e. paid transfers, full mergers, unpaid/time limited transfers

http://www.swtor.com/blog/character-...nd-you-part-ii

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    It's not "the more the merrier" when destination servers are already near capacity. I'll certainly be happy if they can attract new players, but it's going to be a problem shoehorning more people onto current destination servers.
    There's an ebb and flow to player populations. It's a moving target. There will always be a player surge following major patches -- you'll never achieve a perfect balance. This is the preferable end of the spectrum though. The other end (what we had for 3 months leading up to 1.3) means death for the game. All I can tell you is: tough it out. Once things are consolidated, Bioware can re-open (or leave open) one or two of the origin servers as a new destination and allow transfers off of overcrowded servers. But that process takes weeks. In the meantime, better too many friends than no friends at all.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

posted on 7-10, so it's not a "forgone conclusion" of part of their original plan with the character transfers. I stand by my statement, as it is something that we were talking about as an option for BW to do. There is no evidence that they were going to force mergers anymore than there is evidence that they were going to lock the servers.

Not when they can instance areas. SO what if there are 5 imperial fleets on the same server. Bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by davispunx View Post
    Not when they can instance areas. SO what if there are 5 imperial fleets on the same server. Bring it on.
    Instanced areas solve some problems (client bandwidth, combat/AOE calculations etc) but not all. Databases are your Achilles heel on a megaserver. We'll know (for good or bad) whether they've got enough under the hood when and if they try it.

Still experimenting...

Instanced areas solve some problems (client bandwidth, combat/AOE calculations etc) but not all. Databases are your Achilles heel on a megaserver. We'll know (for good or bad) whether they've got enough under the hood when and if they try it.
    One of my favorite games (DCUO) has mega-servers and I've never had a problem on their hardware. How Bioware instances zones is basically how the entire DCUO world is handled. When one world fills up the server just launches another. There's only 4 servers in the whole game, PvE US, PvP US, PvE EU, PvP EU.

Quote Originally Posted by noahjam326 View Post
    One of my favorite games (DCUO) has mega-servers and I've never had a problem on their hardware. How Bioware instances zones is basically how the entire DCUO world is handled. When one world fills up the server just launches another. There's only 4 servers in the whole game, PvE US, PvP US, PvE EU, PvP EU.
    Oh, megaservers can definitely work! There are a number of examples. Your game architecture has to support it. I am not 100% sure that BioWare really understood what would be involved to make a real megaserver, as opposed to just some really overcrowded standard servers. But we'll see.

Still experimenting...

Quote Originally Posted by davispunx View Post
    Fleet doesn't matter so much, as there's always an instance. It's the damned daily quests.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

Corellian Run (a destination server) has a vibrant economy and lots of people looking for groups. The only symptom of crowdedness I've seen is when I take the fleet pass the arrival area is laggy -- but it's fine once I get away from there. Room for more!

Quote Originally Posted by Sounder View Post
    Corellian Run (a destination server) has a vibrant economy and lots of people looking for groups. The only symptom of crowdedness I've seen is when I take the fleet pass the arrival area is laggy -- but it's fine once I get away from there. Room for more!
    That's good news, since some of my characters are probably going to be exiled there in a month or so.

Still experimenting...

Fleet doesn't matter so much, as there's always an instance. It's the damned daily quests.
    Waiting for those damn black hole boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeka View Post
    Keep in mind that anything in your mailbox is gone when you transfer servers. So if you had mail from from one toon to another, or, for instance, any of the various goodies that BW sent to players via mail, all that would be gone.

We'll likely see emails sent out with warnings that mailbox items will be lost (unless they've a work around for that), and get deadlines for when there will be mergers. After which emails sent out telling players they've been moved and iviting them back to try out the new, populated server.
    If your account been inactive for a month anything a player sent you would of been gone anyway.