Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Which type of Martial Arts can beat Tae Kwon Do?

I have been watching Anderson Silva fight a lot lately and decided to look up what he studied, and apparently he trained in Taekwondo for 16 years.

I've never seen him get beaten, and he seems unstoppable, so I'm curious which Martial Arts could beat his Tae Kwon Do style fighting? Could Karate?

Deleted
    Any of them, it is all down to the fighter not the art. I am not a fan of TKD, too many high kicks that an experienced fighter can counter. That GIF you have linked is more western boxing than TKD, I never saw one kick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm no expert at this kind of thing so don't take what I say as fact (please) but I took Tae-Kwon-Do for many years before college. Eventually I decided I wanted to try a different style of Martial Arts so I got into a Jujutsu class...and all I can say is that anytime I tried some of my kicks I would be on my butt before I knew it. Heck my Sensei was able to take one of my Roundhouse Kicks to his head and had me on my face behind him somehow. (I still don't know HOW he did it)
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, just because he studied Tae Kwon Do doesn't mean that's all he does. It's called mixed martial arts for a reason. Silva's just a good fighter, I guess. Plus, it's not like Tae Kwon Do is the "ultimate" martial art and nothing can defeat it, they all have strengths and weaknesses.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

10+ Year Old Account
    It's my understanding that Tae Kwon Do relies primarily on using your legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    God, Guns, Gays and Gynecology - the Republican 4G Network.

10+ Year Old Account
    Silva is just a BEAST.

Im sure he uses more then just TKD, it is called mixed martial arts after all.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    It's my understanding that Tae Kwon Do relies primarily on using your legs.
    That's what Tekken taught me, and somehow I get beat by a spoiled, rich European girl in that game. I presume real life is no different. It's the RL version of "Skill > Gear," I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of question is that? I don't even think most martial arts are "designed" to fight other martial arts. Some are, but the stylized combat that you generally learn doesn't have the variety and width to consistently best practitioners of a different sport.

I'm not really into all this, so I might just be spouting nonsense, but I assume that the guy your talking about is just pretty good at fighting and dedicated enough to go through with the training required. There's a good chance he would be a good fighter no matter what style he chose to dedicate himself to.

And it's not like martial arts is like Pokémon, where Karate beats Tae Kwon Do, which beats Kick-boxing, etc...

Although from what I've read, Krav Maga is pretty much created to take down any opponent.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Although from what I've read, Krav Maga is pretty much created to take down any opponent.
    full fledged Krav Maga would also ( I imagine) be completely banned in MMA, considering it's about total victory and incorporates a large number of "cheap shots"
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Silva isn't vastly superior due to this fightning style. His reach is abnormal.

That is pretty much the main reason to what makes him so dangerous.

I saw this title and thought to myself "now THAT is a brilliant troll thread!"...

...but maybe you're being serious.

Anyway, what others have said is true: It's Silva, not TKD.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tae Kwon Do literally means way of the hand and foot... but yes, it is a leg focused fighting style. Having spent several years on it myself, it is also a lot about control and style, and learning that putting too much force behind something and not enough control actually decreases your effectiveness. It's a good way to learn that strength does not always determine the winner and that control and technique are more important, however given equal control and technique, the stronger will usually win.

As you can see from that gif alone, silva displays a lot of control and only throws punches when they'll be effective, while the guy he's fighting throws a couple of useless punches.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2012-07-11 at 08:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a shodan in Jiu-Jitsu, and like someone mentioned before making lots of high kicks is bad idea against an experienced opponent.
    @ Vryer Agreed, his reach is monstrous!

Deleted
    I've mainly studied and taught Wado-ryu Karate, but I visited martial arts classes all around my city, including Tae Kwon Do. Each one has their own pros and cons, but arts like Ju Jitsu and other more "street practical" ones will often come out on top in MMA and rule less brawls. But there's still a lot of technique and discipline that can be learned from the others, which can all be translated into every other martial art. It's how you interpret the style more than anything. If you compared 2 people of the same grade in the same martial art, chances are they will have different fighting styles anyway, with some working better than others.

On a slight tangent, I find street dance to be a good trainer, in lieu of a martial art. It helps the fluidity and strength of your movements, and gives you momentum you need to win a fight

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Former combatives instructer (US Army), 6 years TKD, Muy Thai etc etc..

I have to agree with the people who posted that it's about the fighter not the style. Although if there were a situation that two fighters were at equal skill levels in their respective discipline I would say either Jujitsu or muy thai. But hey, im biased.

Also, REAL krav maga is crazy dangerous, unfortunatly all of the Krav maga "gyms" in my area are more like womens self defense orientated.

Tae Kwon Do on it's own is pretty useless as it's all striking and no holds. If you put a skilled TKD practitioner against a skilled judo practitioner the fight would be over as soon as the judo person got a hold

10+ Year Old Account
    tae kwon do is the dane cook of martial arts. kick with your feet in a real fight (as opposed to using your shin/knee) and see how long that works for you... muay thai and burmese boxing are both far superior up right fighting styles.

jiu jitsu and judo would laugh at a TKD fighter as well.

Silva is more Muay Thai, Boxing, and Bjj than TKD.

As for what can beat TKD; Its the fighter not the style.

I will say that some styles are better at training you than others. Boxing for example is fantastic. Part of the reason Silva kicks so much ass is because he studied Mohammed Ali's style.
    Last edited by Rhamses; 2012-07-11 at 08:44 PM.

Drunken boxing definitely.

But if serious - any fighter who has mastered his fighting style.

10+ Year Old Account
    muay boran, combat 56 , krav maga or any military fighting style designed to neutralize target asap.