Thread: Squads in PvE

Squads in PvE

Hello guys,

I just wanted to brainstorm a little bit on the purpose of Squads in PvE.

My prediction is that of some the the latest elite dynamic events will be zone-wide events like in WvWvW. Something like: "(Nuclear sirens) "Attention citizens, the baddass dragon is there, take your weapons, guard our towers, gather the munitions, protect our children!"

So, my guess is that yes there will be a big dragon to fight, but you'll need to do a lot of other things to success the DE. This is where you'll need squads. I really hope to see some big PvE squads commanded by some of the servers heroes (like me lol ). I can see PvP and PvE squads becoming something big for the community on the server. Maybe each squad will be a guild.

What are your predictions? Do you think it will take a while before people get used to it? How many squads in the same raid?

Cheers

p.s. Sorry for the poor grammar. Oh! and a link to the blog http://www.arena.net/blog/jordan-mas...e-squad-in-wvw
    Last edited by Morogoth; 2012-07-12 at 01:55 AM.

Could become very handy in meta-events and elite DEs. When there are multiple objectives they'll probably become quite necessary...

I'm also hoping that the AI is sufficiently intelligent to react to opportunities, like a poorly defended area and rushing forces there. This will make squads even more necessary.

Something worries me though.......how happy people will be to be in a squad and "commanded" by someone. But at least Anet removed the 1-way communication so now "squadies" can talk to squad leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Could become very handy in meta-events and elite DEs. When there are multiple objectives they'll probably become quite necessary...

I'm also hoping that the AI is sufficiently intelligent to react to opportunities, like a poorly defended area and rushing forces there. This will make squads even more necessary.

Something worries me though.......how happy people will be to be in a squad and "commanded" by someone. But at least Anet removed the 1-way communication so now "squadies" can talk to squad leaders.
    Yeah, I hope that once you defend a tower (let's say 10 waves of zombies), you need to stay there because if nobody defend it, zombies will take control of the tower and make it more difficult to success the DE.

As for commanders, it's a little bit like politics. Even if you paid 1000 gold to become the president, that doesn't mean people will vote for you

Haha that sounds awesome. It would sweet if there was real consequences for not defeating said dragon...like it starts to take over and kills all the vendors in main cities and order wont be restored until actual players group together to kill him.

As long as they have similar functions like they did in GW1, like setting points for squad members to move to and stay there, or setting them to "guard" or "aggressive" or what not.

Yes, I realize we're talking about players.

---------- Post added 2012-07-11 at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    Haha that sounds awesome. It would sweet if there was real consequences for not defeating said dragon...like it starts to take over and kills all the vendors in main cities and order wont be restored until actual players group together to kill him.
    It does. That's how dynamic events work.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    As long as they have similar functions like they did in GW1, like setting points for squad members to move to and stay there, or setting them to "guard" or "aggressive" or what not.

Yes, I realize we're talking about players.
    Like an RTS? lol . Yeah it would definitely be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    Like an RTS? lol . Yeah it would definitely be useful.
    GW1 had "Flags" for your NPC hero's to basicly tell them to go to that spot and guard it. I think larynx was hopeing for a similar system for squads, sort of a broadcast waypoint marker that the commander could set. I've seen features like this in a few FPS games where they did this. The commander throws down a marker that shows up on the minimap and maybe displayes a flare in the world to designate where squads needed to go and what to do once there.

Who is John Galt?

After watching the podcast with Colin and Eric, I think I was not so far from the reality (minus the nuclear sirens lol). I see a lot of potential with this feature.

Deleted
    woot!!! need & want nuclear sirens :3

or maybe a warning sound like in the mage man x games when you enter a boss room.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    Something like: "(Nuclear sirens) "Attention citizens, the baddass dragon is there, take your weapons, guard our towers, gather the munitions, protect our children!"
    BWAH HA HA HA HA

OT: i think squads should be used to coordinate different groups with the commanders talking with each other instead of one massive zerg

what's going to happen in reality: every1 will fork over the money to buy the squad function and we'll have 25 "leaders" vying for people with only 2 of them in control of massive zergs who know nothing about...anything guiding 300 mindless zombies again zhatian's mindless zombies while his other mindless zombies overtake the other 80% of objectives...

---------- Post added 2012-07-13 at 07:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pion View Post
    woot!!! need & want nuclear sirens :3

or maybe a warning sound like in the mage man x games when you enter a boss room.
    kinda like this?

The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Could Mega Mans foot armor get any larger?

---------- Post added 2012-07-13 at 01:51 PM ----------

Also, I'm very excited to take part in squads via places like Orr
    Last edited by AnnoDomini; 2012-07-13 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling