I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

[swtor] What is up with PvP?

I'm confused. I PvP'd in SWTOR when I played it before and thought I did ok, if not above average at it, but now I'm lucky if I can actually kill anyone at all. I've literally had one match after another where my toons have either gotten zero xp because I'm getting no killing blows and my team can't complete objectives and/or I'm sitting in last place for overall performance at the end of the match.

Going up against a level 30+ on my 32 Infil is practically a joke. Even if I jump in to help a team mate I'm doing so little damage even with the backstab-like ability that it isn't even funny. 1v1 I feel a lot weaker than just about any class even when I get the drop on them, use my cc correctly, etc.

My 32 pyrotech isn't as bad and can at least take a beating but I get focused/cc'd down pretty quick.

Deleted
    Well, firstly, remember that in TOR, 10-49 are bolstered, so that level isn't that much of a factor (at least in pure strength, higher levels have more abilities ofc).

Infiltrator, I'm assuming you mean Jedi Shadow specced into Infil: Only use Shadow Strike when Expose Weakness procs, it's not worth it otherwise, too much force cost for the damage. Try to use Double Strike, Project and Force Breach instead (http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/jedi...-and-cooldowns might help give you an idea ) I'm a levelling assassin player myself, and while it's tempting to think backstabs are the best in the situation, it's more situational than you'd think.

By Pyrotech do you mean Powertech (one pistol, melee DPS) instead of the Pyrotech shared tree, because that's intentional. Infiltrators are meant to be more squishy but with more ways to escape (like Force Cloak, Blackout, etc), but it's not meant to be a drastic change, like comparing a rogue to a warrior in WoW.

As for your team, it's really up to the type of players you get D: At least if you focus on objectives (ie, guarding conduits and doors) you can at least get defender points
    Last edited by mmoc95c4570f6c; 2012-07-15 at 01:35 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, that link actually helped a lot. I was doing it wrong thanks to some WoW on the brain. Big difference between what I was doing and what the article states. Also, I did mean Pyrotech...just forgot they were a shared tree...so I should have said Powertech-Pyrotech (or something to that effect).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Thanks, that link actually helped a lot. I was doing it wrong thanks to some WoW on the brain. Big difference between what I was doing and what the article states. Also, I did mean Pyrotech...just forgot they were a shared tree...so I should have said Powertech-Pyrotech (or something to that effect).
    No worries glad to help The article is for PvE, so naturally you'll have to adjust to PvP (but from what little I've seen as an assassin, it's generally not that hard to get behind people for that Shadow Strike/Maul than in WoW PvP). TOR is far from WoW, people are still debating on what's the best "rotation" to use, and personally I love that

And sorry about the whole "I assume you mean" thing, I didn't want to sound pretentious, just because of OCD I generally have to make sure I'm talking about exactly the right thing :P

You might want to look at your gear as well. If there is a great disparity between the level of your gear and your level you won't be as effective. For instance you would be much more effect if you were level 25 with level 25 gear than level 35 with level 25 gear. Why do you ask? It is bolster. Bolster is a percentage boost this includes your gear. Your gear is getting much less boosted at 35 than 25.

You know i was having this debate with a friend if its really worth it to have a PvP arena with all levels from 10-49.... sure everyone does relatively the same amount of damage... and you get to see how much damage your character will put out at lvl 49... and he really enjoyed it and thought it was awesome to see his level 12 pulling ridiculous damage... Now my point is i don't disagree but i don't really agree... i think the fact that you can do as much damage as a lvl 49 at lvl 11 in these PvP matches is cool and all... But i feel WoW made PvP a little funner with the fact that your playing with people in your set level group is better because i PvP to show that i am better than people... I find this hard to believe i am better than people when a lvl 11 kills a lvl 49 like they do in star wars... The level gap for me is just two ridiculous... Plus in my opinion SWTOR makes it to where any PVP gear is useless until 50... i don't know i like it and i dislike it i just don't get why there is a 39 lvl gap between some players.... BTW the SMUGGLER (GUNSLINGER TREE) is one of the best PvP classes in my opinion....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustWyatt View Post
    You know i was having this debate with a friend if its really worth it to have a PvP arena with all levels from 10-49.... sure everyone does relatively the same amount of damage... and you get to see how much damage your character will put out at lvl 49... and he really enjoyed it and thought it was awesome to see his level 12 pulling ridiculous damage... Now my point is i don't disagree but i don't really agree... i think the fact that you can do as much damage as a lvl 49 at lvl 11 in these PvP matches is cool and all... But i feel WoW made PvP a little funner with the fact that your playing with people in your set level group is better because i PvP to show that i am better than people... I find this hard to believe i am better than people when a lvl 11 kills a lvl 49 like they do in star wars... The level gap for me is just two ridiculous... Plus in my opinion SWTOR makes it to where any PVP gear is useless until 50... i don't know i like it and i dislike it i just don't get why there is a 39 lvl gap between some players.... BTW the SMUGGLER (GUNSLINGER TREE) is one of the best PvP classes in my opinion....
    I will agree, my Gunslinger usually tops the damage output at level 12 (level 14 now). The amount of damage they can dish out is crazy, and having 3 CC's by level 12 is pretty amazing compared to other classes. Yeah, you lose out in the skill department, but if you plan on playing in Warzones with a low level character, Gunslinger the most solid choice.

Gunslinger Class is a very nice class.

That being said I disagree with your pvp assessment. PvP 10-49 is just an avenue to get people starting off in PvP their feet wet. There is nothing serious happening in low level PvP. It is basically as casual as it gets. Rating yourself in this form of PvP isn't going to give you a good barometer for what it is like at 50 or rated 50.

I would say just play it for fun but if you are looking for a more serious arena for PvP look to rated 50 then you will know how you truly stack up.

WoW made PvP "funner" at lower levels? Was this before or after they eliminated twinking? Was this before or after they changed the groups from 10 levels to 5? And WoW's pre-50 PvP gear isn't any more relevant than TOR's pre-50 PvP gear. The bolster makes it so that you're not waiting around for a day waiting for a WZ queue pop. Also, since when has pre-max level PvP in any game been about showing anybody that you're better? I'll give you a shiny new nickel if you can introduce me to any real PvP player that believes pre-max level PvP is anything more than a means to an end.

And, to put it honestly, the "bolster" is a hell of a lot better mechanic than going into a BG at level 20 and getting your face wiped with a level 24.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    WoW made PvP "funner" at lower levels?
    I guess that's true if you made a full BOA hunter and global'd people with aimed shot / arcane shot.

That would be fun... for you.

Just not everyone else.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

TOR has a lot of flaws, but leveling PvP is one of its best implemented features. Way above what most of the other MMOs offer. I would like to see the leveling brackets split in two ... but that's about it.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

you must be doing something wrong then.I did 1 warzone last night on my gunslinger.We won and my stats were 150k dmg,11 medals and 0 death+unbeatable rank.You just need to learn your rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    WoW made PvP "funner" at lower levels? Was this before or after they eliminated twinking? Was this before or after they changed the groups from 10 levels to 5? And WoW's pre-50 PvP gear isn't any more relevant than TOR's pre-50 PvP gear. The bolster makes it so that you're not waiting around for a day waiting for a WZ queue pop. Also, since when has pre-max level PvP in any game been about showing anybody that you're better? I'll give you a shiny new nickel if you can introduce me to any real PvP player that believes pre-max level PvP is anything more than a means to an end.

And, to put it honestly, the "bolster" is a hell of a lot better mechanic than going into a BG at level 20 and getting your face wiped with a level 24.
    Seeing as i have had multiple accounts over the years i played WoW since Vanilla.. quit and came back multiple times... and pvp Gear in wow pre 85 is still more relevant and still gives you in my feeling more of an advantage on the field than it does in TOR... thats all i am saying...

On a different note is there any eta on when season 1 rated wz will start and when solo queued rated wz will be launched ? Are those tho things related or will season 1 come before solo queue ?

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    On a different note is there any eta on when season 1 rated wz will start and when solo queued rated wz will be launched ? Are those tho things related or will season 1 come before solo queue ?
    I think they are going to wait until there's been enough preseason that they can feel confident in what they need to nerf/buff in order to have a rank system that somewhat relates to skill.

I would expect it in 1.4.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -