Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Gamer dies playing Diablo III after 40Hours of non stop gaming

Taiwanese player collapses after 40 hours in front of Blizzard's online action role-playing game, pronounced dead at hospital.
    A Taiwanese man collapsed and died over the weekend after playing Blizzard's Diablo III for 40 straight hours. The Australian Associated Press reported the story, citing the Taiwanese United Daily News as the source of the information.

According to the report, the 18-year-old man entered an Internet café in southern Taiwan around noon on Friday, booked a private room, and played almost two days without stopping to eat. On Sunday morning, an employee of the café entered the room to check on the man and found him resting on a table. Shortly after being roused, the man collapsed and was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.

As of press time, a Blizzard representative had not returned a request for comment.

This is far from the first time a marathon gaming session has ended in tragedy. The AAP reported that another Taiwanese man died in February after a 23-hour gaming jag ended with a heart attack. In 2007, a 30-year-old man collapsed and died in Guangzhou, China, after gaming for three straight days, In 2005, a 28-year-old South Korean man died after a 50-hour gaming session. In 2003, police in Hong Kong cited a six-hour stint playing Diablo II at an Internet café as a contributing factor in a 28-year-old man's death. In 2002, a 24-year-old South Korean man died after 86 uninterrupted hours of gameplay. That same month, a 27-year-old Taiwanese man lasted 32 hours before succumbing to death by exhaustion.

Source http://uk.gamespot.com/news/gamer-di...rathon-6387472

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mmoc0efa2cff2a; 2012-07-18 at 12:04 AM.

sorry someone has to die but maybe this will get them to up drop rates so you dont have to sit at your PC for 3 straight days hoping you can get a drop that isnt total garbage.

Why is it always asian guys

should have popped a health pot.
    But look at how soon we're all forgotten. The abyss of endless time that swallows it all. The emptiness of those applauding hands.

What am I supposed to think? That people are so stupid they play video games for 40 straight hours without stopping to eat? Or without any breaks I presume? I hate to be that person but, this is the same as all the other threads on "someone has died while playing X game for Y hours".

Aveline's amazing work!

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't the first time this happened, won't be the last either.

I'm more curious on how he could stand 40 hours of D3 straight.

Some people don't have the self control of others, while a lot disagree, people (not all) -can- become addicted, and then things like this happen.

I wonder if he dropped anything decent.

Deleted
    Unfortunatly alot of people will take this as "games are addictive and ruin lives blahblahblah". I'd bet the guy had some pretty serious underlying mental health issues that caused him to do this as people don't just do that for the fun of it. So i'm pretty sure that he had a major issue that really should have been seen at some point and recieved professional help from someone. Quite a tradgedy really as no one deserves to go like that, i'd really like to see a bigger emphasis on people in such a serious condition recieve a bit more support as these sort of news articles only ever make bad press about games and gamers alike.

Deleted
    Its ironic to see the other victims, a list full of asians only. i have yet to see a western person dying because of their own idiocy

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, there's allready a sizeable list in your OP, which proves this is nothing new. Other games have had this happen, and people have died after varying states of neglect to themselves. Some people just act stupid and pay the price.

10+ Year Old Account
    What did he die of? I'm pretty sure you can survive 2 days without eating 0o

Deleted
    Well this goes to prove it: Diablo 3 CAN bore a man to death.

If the death was directly caused it's his own fault 40 hours on the computer with no break not to even eat is just asking for damage to be caused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    What did he die of? I'm pretty sure you can survive 2 days without eating 0o
    Says he died of a heart attack after being woken up by the cafe's owner.

Some other deaths mention heart attacks, it could just be that the level of stimulation for that long without food or water or anything could just crash the body. But who knows..

There needs to be some form of limit to how long a person can play at one of these cafe's. I seem to remember a lot of them being asian in a cafe for well over a day every time they die. Obviously the game isn't the issue, and it seems to me that maybe it's not even the person who's playing for so long (to a degree) but rather that there are places like this that ALLOW someone to just play a game for 40 hours or whatever.

Shouldn't they demand at least 8 hour breaks for sleep, sustenance, and all that stuff?

Aveline's amazing work!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    sorry someone has to die but maybe this will get them to up drop rates so you dont have to sit at your PC for 3 straight days hoping you can get a drop that isnt total garbage.
    /facepalm

Seriously? That's what you come away from this post with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greech View Post
    should have popped a health pot.
    +1 internet to u dude :P

OT: what do I think - I think they should have had a life and no one is to blame for this apart from the dead fella.

All of them people are moron's... Who cares if they died because they couldn't control their need to play a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvelisse View Post
    Its ironic to see the other victims, a list full of asians only. i have yet to see a western person dying because of their own idiocy
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-14350216

It's never just one race when people are concerned. People just act stupid universally.

10+ Year Old Account
    18-year-old man ... Friday ... played almost two days without stopping to eat ... Sunday morning... the man collapsed and was later pronounced dead
    I doubt he died from not eating. He probably hadn't already eaten, or was sick, or something.

This has nothing to do with video games. Maybe addictions, but not games. Games did not kill him, nor did starvation while playing games.