Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Ore shuffle volume

I've seen a lot of threads about how much profit people make from the ore shuffle, but haven't come across any about volume (if I've missed anything obvious, please lock this thread).

For a lot of reasons I've only just started dipping my toes into the shuffle. I can see why people say that it was possible to make a lot of gold a few months ago, and that it's not as profitable now. Because I'm still hesitant about it, I'm interested to find out how many of everything people are selling, not just how much you're making.

Basically, I'm curious about things like:

- How much ore do you buy (daily/weekly/only when the price is right)?
    - How many gems of each colour do you sell each day?
    - How many enchanting scrolls? How many enchanting mats?
    - How many bags do you sell?
    - What's the difference in volume between now and for example, when patch 4.3 hit?

As I said, I'm only getting started, so I know this is a very cut down version of the full shuffle. Also, I know mileage will vary depending on server. Thanks to anyone who decides to satisfy my curiosity!

basically, if it's 40g/stack or less, but it all. anything more and it's a gamble.

Deleted
    - If I find any stacks below 50g, I'll buy them out. (Under 50 gold a stack I'm sure I'll make atleast double of what I invested in it.) Good weeks this can be thousands of stacks, and bad weeks can be hundred if I'm lucky.
    - If I'm stocked I sell over hundred red gems a day, and fifty + of the other colours. (These are all blue quality.)
    - On my realm there are 2 others who control the Enchanting market. So the only scroll I put up to get a decent profit is Power Torrent. (Not always profitable though.) Most of the times my enchanting mats sell within one or two hours. (Most of the times it's Hypnotic dust that doesn't sell rght away due to the availability of them.)
    - I don't get what this question means.
    - When 4.3 hit, every player needed new enchants and gems because they got new gear. By now, most players are in full BiS, fully gemmed and enchanted. Less people that need gems and enchants -> Lesss items being sold.

You can always PM me if you got a question.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesar13 View Post
    - If I find any stacks below 50g, I'll buy them out. (Under 50 gold a stack I'm sure I'll make atleast double of what I invested in it.) Good weeks this can be thousands of stacks, and bad weeks can be hundred if I'm lucky.
    - If I'm stocked I sell over hundred red gems a day, and fifty + of the other colours. (These are all blue quality.)
    - On my realm there are 2 others who control the Enchanting market. So the only scroll I put up to get a decent profit is Power Torrent. (Not always profitable though.) Most of the times my enchanting mats sell within one or two hours. (Most of the times it's Hypnotic dust that doesn't sell rght away due to the availability of them.)
    - I don't get what this question means.
    - When 4.3 hit, every player needed new enchants and gems because they got new gear. By now, most players are in full BiS, fully gemmed and enchanted. Less people that need gems and enchants -> Lesss items being sold.

You can always PM me if you got a question.
    So you buy the ore and resell it or do you buy the ore and prospect it and sell the gems? Please calrify - I don't know exactly what you mean.

Deleted
    I do both;

- For example, If the ore costs 30g/stack when I buy it, but 60g when I have the time to deal with it, I'll resell it, because that way my profit is gauranteed. But if it drops again I'll use it to prospect.
    - If the above doesn't happen I prospect all ore, cut the blue gems, vendor the zephyrites, transmute the carnelians, cut the green gems into jewelry and DE them.

at first, you have to understand your server economy...It´s nonsence to buy ore under 50 (or whatever), if on your server there are many AH players and GCE,Inferno rubies,scrolls,SSdiamonds etc are on low prize...
    On Thunderhorn two weeks ago I´ve bought EO for 35g/stack, OO for 30g/stack, GCE´ve been on 50-60g per one, Shadowspirit diamond 250g each, bold/brilliant/delicate on 140-150 per one...Don´t like scroll selling, many players here...
    But now, EO is over 50g/stack (rarely 43-46g/stack), OO close to 60g/stack. GCE under 40g per one, at this time 31g per one, SSdiamond 109 because of one guy who undercut normal price 230g with his two gems offer on 110g. Don´t get me wrong, 110g is still profit for me, have dozens of it, but...I don´t like this style of AH playing...Rubies are under 95g now, scrolls are downed too...
    Stupid EU summer vacations, every child trying to play mature games like AH 8-)
    And yes, I like AH Remote, it always makes my day, when I´m doing 90% of my bussiness at work 8-)
    Still, have 5 toons to play AH and ofc without similar names...

My rule of thumb is that I will buy out all of the elementium ore if it is at least 1/2 the price as a cut inferno ruby. Prospect all of the ore, cut all of the inferno ruby's into bold, delicate and brilliants. Cut all of the nightstones, alicites and hessonites into rings/necks and disenchant them. Have a transmute master transmute all carnelians into inferno rubies. Vendor zephyrites. You can either sell the enchanting mats or make scrolls yourself. I make a few scrolls but I mostly just sell the enchanting mats since those sell a lot quicker. If I do make scrolls, I will post the scroll for the cost of enchanting mats +15-40g (depends on if there are other scrolls on the AH or not). Cut the other gems as you see fit and AH, these are really just bonus sells so I usually just underct these by a good amount for quick sales. Now what to do with jaspers depends on the price of a stack of hypnotic dust. If dust is cheaper then like 30g a stack, I just cut jaspers into rings and vendor the green ones and AH the blue rings. If you were to DE the green rings it'll take something like 7-10 rings to make a stack of hypnotic dust and after you take into account the cost of making the ring if you were to vendor 10 jasper rings you'll make like a 40g profit...a little better then trying to DE them into stacks of hypnotics. Plus selling the blue ones makes it that much better. I still sell the hell out of inferno rubys but the others have really dried up...I've even been blowing them out for a few gold and they still sit on the ah. But the profit on inferno's and enchanting mats still makes this well worth the effort. And don't forget to save a stack or two of uncut green stones for the JC daily's that might use them, I sell those very well too during that particular day. This is basically what I've done for the last few months and am at around 3 million gold.
    Last edited by Marema; 2012-07-18 at 01:00 PM.

- What's the difference in volume between now and for example, when patch 4.3 hit?
    1. I pay a farmer a flat 20g per stack, he gets guaranteed profit and I get cheap ore. It's around 100 stacks a day.
    2. I sell between 50-100 rubies, cut, a day. 20 cuts of the other colors combined, sometimes 30.
    3. I don't really bother with scrolls, too much work, not enough of a profit margin for me to sit on a scroll for 24+ hours, and I never have enough maelstroms. I sell about 20-40 shards a day, 40-50 essences and 20-30 stacks of dust.
    4. I sell maybe 2-3 bags a day, they are slow sellers at best. I check the margin on Undermine first and if cloth is too expensive, I just sell the dust.
    5. Market is about 40% what it used to be by my estimates.

Bottom line is, scope out your competition before getting into the shuffle. There may be a bot, which means your profits will get eaten by relisting fees.

Edit: I had posted some stuff here I thought may be useful. But as it has been pointed out I clearly know little to nothing on the matter.

I have removed the other posts from this sub section of the forum.
    Last edited by Nornian; 2012-07-20 at 07:01 PM.

Deleted
    Yup, clearly me being too sensitive again .

(I could post many things here about over reacting and not to take things too seriously, but tbh a) i cba and b) i'm not entirely sure I want to worry too much about someone else taking things to the sillyest extreme - it's a forum, ppl may disagree with you, the whole idea is to have a discussion after all).
    Last edited by mmoc68ea15c517; 2012-07-20 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by speakpkhq View Post
    basically, if it's 40g/stack or less, but it all. anything more and it's a gamble.
    That is absolutely 100% incorrect. There is WAY to many variables to determine that. I've bought ore all the way up to 110g/stack and still made 100% profit.

Deleted
    ^ oh indeed, the sad thing is someone has to point out that u can't just paste a forumla for the masses to follow.

I wish I had started reading about the ore shuffles at the start of cata, on my server reds still sell for around 280g and ore cost around 35g for a stack, I started out 4 weeks ago with 3k after spending 20k lvlin the professions. And now I have 85k so not bad really for 4 weeks work, well it's a lot for me anyway I hoping to have around 200k when mop hits. I tend to shuffle 30-40 stacks of ore a day but haven't found out what the cap is on my server. As everything I shuffle always sells that day and I don't want to flood the market as I'm happy with the profit I make.
    Last edited by cottee55; 2012-07-21 at 08:08 PM.

Deleted
    OP why not approach the issue in a different way.

As we know all servers are different to the extent that its can be very misleading for the new player.

Monitor the ore prices and see how it fluctuates.
    Look at he prices the gems and porceeds of the shyffle might sell for.
    Decide how much time you have fot to make the sales.

Having gathered this information, then I would buy a set amount of ore. 100 or 200 stacks or 5k-10k gold. Be that farmed or bought off the ah. Keep track of your costs.

Do the shuffle and see how much you make. How many times you have to relist and then figure out if it was worth the effort.

The more efficient you are, then the greater profits you will make. This relies on you being smart and that also means you putting time in plus being responsive to the state of your individual market.

I dont know. I always have ore in stock to protect me from flyctuations in the market. I tend to buy when its a low price. I release this on an as needs basis. I have bever run out of ore. In times of shortage or he early bits of the expansion I am ok with farming my own ore.
    It will depend upon demand and competitors, but do you also have all the recipes? Without he spread of recipes or reliance on just a few then your profits and strategy will be seriously lowered.

First of all do you have an enchanter with all the recipes? I make about 35-40% from scrolls. You also need maelstroms.

I'm too lazy to make bags. I give excess dust to anyone who wants it in guild. It should be a steady earner. The limiting factor is cloth. I have noticed the prize on dust has recovered slightly due to the bagmakers.

I would say sales are 35% of what they were when 4.3 hits. I monitor this on my server quite closely. The reasons are obvious, but I would also point out the prices are also mych much lower as demand decreases and lots of other factors creep in. I have been impressed how well 4.3 has remained profitable for. the downside is that its a lo of effort for less profit.

Right now the economy is just shit, and not worth the trouble to do the ore shuffle. At least on my main server.

Elementium ore costs about 20g a stack, and cut inferno's go for about 65g a piece, and even then they expire most of the time, along with all the other colored gems. Enchanting materials are practically being given away.

There is just no demand anymore.

The ore shuffle is how I've made my millions this expansion, but for now, I've resorted to other means of gold making.

Deleted
    I guess there is also some kind of hiatus that has slowly crept upon us and probably finally caught up on us. There is still money to be made, for sure, but not necessarily by means of ore shuffling. I'm sure it will come back as soon as 5.0 hits, or obviously as soon as MoP comes out.

What do you guys think, what will 5.0 do to ore shuffling? Do you expect some kind of increase in demand again? Maybe slowpoke players finally getting their stuff together, green gems becoming more and more valuable due to their usage in leveling?

If anything 5.0 will kill the shuffle market entirely as people go into the standard "gold hoarding" mode for MOP. At that point you might as well stockpile once the new JC info is released, to get all the "chokepoint" gems stocked up to sell to new JC monks.

I'm probably going to start setting away half my enchanting stock to sell a month after MOP once 5.0 hits, and stop muting carnelians entirely and stash them since new pandas are going to need them to level JC.
    Last edited by Farabee; 2012-07-23 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eliyah View Post
    I've seen a lot of threads about how much profit people make from the ore shuffle, but haven't come across any about volume (if I've missed anything obvious, please lock this thread).

For a lot of reasons I've only just started dipping my toes into the shuffle. I can see why people say that it was possible to make a lot of gold a few months ago, and that it's not as profitable now. Because I'm still hesitant about it, I'm interested to find out how many of everything people are selling, not just how much you're making.

Basically, I'm curious about things like:

As I said, I'm only getting started, so I know this is a very cut down version of the full shuffle. Also, I know mileage will vary depending on server. Thanks to anyone who decides to satisfy my curiosity!
    1. I buy from a farmer 26g stack a few gold less that the auction house about 150 stacks a day.
    2. Around 30-50 Red and 5-15 of all the other colors.
    3. I dont see the profit in selling Scrolls so i only sell the Mats and they selling as butter. The hypnotic dust i only stack on my guildbanks for mop. Bether to do that then selling them for 10g stack Atm i got 16000 dusts.
    4. I dont sell any bags selling bags is just stupid the amount of cloth u need is to much to make it profitable.
    5. I didnt to the ore shuffle at 4.3 But the infernos is at 60-90g and all the others at 10-50.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to know YOUR servers market to make any profit at all. That goes for any so called "Shuffle".
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water