Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Gem Store Prices, absurd???

hey guys i just found this on reddit

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...e_for_eu_zone/

among many things EU players once again get shafted in prices, because the base price without VAT is still higher than the base price without vat in the US, not to mention there's no price reduction for bulk buy of gems.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-07-19 at 04:25 PM.

Solution: Don't buy them

They (Mike O'Brien/Arenanet) answered IN the reddit post though...

[–]Mike-OBrien-ArenaNet 332 points 21 hours ago*
    This reflects tax-exclusive v. tax-inclusive pricing.
    In America, you pay the price you see plus sales tax.
    In Europe, you pay the price you see. The vendor pays VAT out of that price.
    VAT rates in EU range from roughly 15%-25%. We pay based on the location of our EU office, in UK, so we pay a flat 20% for all of EU.
    €1 = €0.833 base + €0.167 VAT
    €0.83 base = $1.02 (at today's exchange rate)
    ~ MO

It's hardly a difference. I won't be buying gems anyway though, so I won't go into why it's fair. Not to mention...you can buy them with in-game gold...so...yeah, let's get super angry that we can't buy a pirate costume for using in town or something else that's practically worthless yet cool to have for a day..

Sad day for GW2...gotta be joking. Pitchforks because of this? Yes, let's ignore everything they've done and get the pitchforks and torches ready!
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-07-18 at 01:58 PM.

simple just either use in game gold or just don't buy them, cause from what I have heard the gems aren't really needed to enjoy the game unless you are just into non combat pets and role playing clothes to look all fancy and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post

VAT rates in EU range from roughly 15%-25%. We pay based on the location of our EU office, in UK, so we pay a flat 20% for all of EU.
    ~ MO

It's hardly a difference. I won't be buying gems anyway though, so I won't go into why it's fair. Not to mention...you can buy them with in-game gold...so...yeah, let's get super angry that we can't buy a pirate costume for using in town or something else that's practically worthless yet cool to have for a day..
    yeah he posted the problem is what he posted is flawed, at least he tried to explain, its more than others companies did before.

~ MO

Sad day for GW2...gotta be joking. Pitchforks because of this? Yes, let's ignore everything they've done and get the pitchforks and torches ready!
    Nailed it.

Pretty much the only place you're guaranteed to have the ANet team see your posts between betas is on Reddit, which despite Reddit's failings, is still pretty damn awesome.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Solution: Farm gold, walk up to AH, Buy gems with gold, never have to worry about EU vs US prices because ull be buying the cheapest gems on the AH.

Thats what ima do once game launches if i ever need gems ill just buy through AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    yeah he posted the problem is what he posted is flawed, at least he tried to explain, its more than others companies did before.
    Yeah they're really on top of things. How often do you get the president of a gaming company so involved? This just gives me more respect for ANet...and you really can't blame them for this. A game that has no monthly fee and where gems give no advantage at all...this is the last thing on my agenda to care about. Hehe. Nah, wipe it from my agenda, I don't care about it.

\\//

Quote Originally Posted by Grraarrgghh View Post
    Nailed it.

Pretty much the only place you're guaranteed to have the ANet team see your posts between betas is on Reddit, which despite Reddit's failings, is still pretty damn awesome.
    As well as being from the CEO of the company no less. That's pretty amazing in anyone's book.
    And 2 cents is not worth mentioning.......and when the economy changes it may become better for the EU...

This kind of crap always happens every time something controversial gets leaked before Arenanet has time to release the info them selves and explain. The whining and complaining took place when the gems were first leaked too, and then it died down when Arenanet showed how it really worked and how it wasn't the bad thing people were making it out to be. People just like to complain and act like the sky is falling every time some new happens.

It'll pass. And if not, screw those that leave over trivial stuff. Don't won't people like that in the game anyway, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    Do explain why. So far as i can tell the Euro prices are including the taxes and the US prices exclude the taxes, so obviously the Euro prices would seem higher.
    So im reserving my opinion on this matter.

But related to this, i do find the gemshop prices to high on the great majority of the items and services they offer. And i dont see myself getting anything more then just extra character slots.

800 gems Costs:

UK -
    £8.5 includes the 20% vat
    8.5/1.2 = £7.0833 excluding vat

EU -
    €10 includes the 20% VAT
    10/1.2 = €8.3333 excluding vat

US -
    $10 excluding VAT(taxes i think its called there)

currency conversion £7.0833 = $11.0740 - here
    currency conversion €8.3333 = $10.2151 - here

so as you can see we paying more for the base price without taxes.

we understand we have to pay VAT here in the EU, but all we want is the same base rate price
    Last edited by Lusitan; 2012-07-18 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added Euros

How much for additional bank slots?

2 bag slots is 800 gems if i recall correctly from last BWE

400 gems or $5. Not really that bad imo seeing as you don't need it at all unless you are a packrat. I am so I will be buying them, but most people aren't.

10+ Year Old Account

~ MO

My respect for Anet just continues to grow. When the founder of the company himself is out communicating with the fans, they are making it clear that they do respect the player.
    Valar morghulis

Speaking of founders. Who is the founder of Blizzard?

Quote Originally Posted by koji356303 View Post
    400 gems or $5. Not really that bad imo seeing as you don't need it at all unless you are a packrat. I am so I will be buying them, but most people aren't.
    Ok, but it means that if I want to have every slots available (let say 100 slots), I'll need to pay 5$/slot?

We already have something like 20 slots in the bank I think? Somebody know if there is a maximum?

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering they are optional, and there isn't even a sub fee for this game: They're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Considering they are optional, and there isn't even a sub fee for this game: They're fine.
    I know this...

Still, 5$ for 1 slot is a little bit too much I think. I know that I will craft a lot and I'm also a collector so I will probably need space to put all my items. 20 slots is not enough for me.