Original WoW Collectors Edition

So, I'm really interested in the status of the vanilla wow collectors edition. I see these on eBay and other sites on occasion and never are they selling for less then 1700 bucks. This is of course in an unopened state. I was really just wondering if this would be a good investment. I mean, a lot of the current reason it's worth so much is because they haven't been made in like 8 years, and of course the incredibly rare pets.

My question is, should I buy one of these and sit on it for a good 8-10 years? Or could it just plummet with wows eventual end.

Deleted
    Worth it to sell in 10 years? No. Odds of finding a buyer who'll pay more than that in 10 years is probably abysmal. If you gather the entire collection, maybe...

For me it would be more for a personal collection. I know personally how much I would pay for one but that is not necessarily what you would pay. I the thing is to get an idea of how much you are willing to pay. If everything is out of that price range then it isn't worth it and you shouldn't bother.

imho wow will at maximum keep a reasonable playerbase for of 2 or 3 more years, so i would definitly not do this. I also doubt that the pet system will still be the same,a s there is a major change with MoP already.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the chances of you finding a buyer who'd pay much more than what you'd buy it for is pretty slim, so if you do sell it there probably wouldn't be a wide profit margin. It'll probably become valuable someday as a general video game collectible, but again, it'll be hard to find a buyer, and in the long term, WoW's eventual decline will likely only make it deteriorate in value.

A good investment would've been buying it for $100 when it was new and selling it now.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I am so envious of the people who bought a case of these back in the day and are now flipping thm and making 20 grand.

If you bought it and sat on it, it would be worthless. Nyuk nyuk.

Seriously though, 10 years is a bit far out there, the game will probably be around still then, but with no new content so the market would die off. I would go on a limb and say that this will be close to it's peak price to sell for.