Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best race for Necromancer?

Which race best fits Necromancer lorewise? I wanted to play it as a Charr, but it wouldn't feel right if a necromancer has no place among the Charr.
    Only race that I absolutely refuse to play is human. ;D

Charr would probably be Ash Legion and be fine. They view magic as suspect, but they value strength and if someone can prove their worth. Blood Legion could also work really well.

They also fit in just fine with Sylvari and Asura, no tweaking required.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Asura because:

Deleted
    What Miffy said

If you wanted Charr, and honestly - I think it's your only option anyway. The Flame Legion is right up the alley of the necromancer.

Sylvari from what I've seen in BWE and the written histories of them, they're nature based and fit with elementalist, rangers, and to a lesser extent mesmer.

Asura on the other hand, are noted for their cleverness and inventions --- they don't come across as a race that would be fond of necromancers.

Sylvari is the most interesting. Charr can work. Human can obviously work. Asura view it in the same fashion as a Charr does. The only one I'm sketchy on is the Norn.

If I had to list them,

Sylvari
    Asura
    Charr
    Human
    Norn

For making the most sense. Sylvari view death as a curiosity, and necromancers carry no negative connotation. Asura and Charr view it as a means to an end. Human I don't really know the reasons beyond "EVVVILLL!!" but it makes sense still. For the Norn, it seems like a total perversion of their beliefs.

So if you wished to have charr necromancer, it would work. Spellcasters are regarded with distain in charr society, more so than others. If that spellcaster can prove their loyalty and earn other's respect, than other charr won't look down on that person regardless of their lifestyle/belief/practice/whatever.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-18 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by balatro View Post
    If you wanted Charr, and honestly - I think it's your only option anyway. The Flame Legion is right up the alley of the necromancer.
    The Flame Legion are evil and unplayable. As is the Nightmare Court, The Inquest, and the Sons of Svanir.
    Sylvari from what I've seen in BWE and the written histories of them, they're nature based and fit with elementalist, rangers, and to a lesser extent mesmer.
    The Sylvari in Ghosts of Ascalon was a Necromancer. She doesn't understand the taboos of why using your dead allies as cannon fodder is a bad thing. It works beautifully.

Asura on the other hand, are noted for their cleverness and inventions --- they don't come across as a race that would be fond of necromancers.
    Tweaking FLESH golems? Twisting their alchemagical abilities for ways to use the dead as more components with eachother? It's a stretch, but not a very big one.

Deleted
    I actually imagine a darker skinned Norn female to make a really cool witch doctory necromancer. You just gotta imagine the jamaicanish accent :P.

To be honest all of the races, apart from Norn, in my opinion do well as necromancers.
    The Asura can do the mad scientist vibe. Someone investigating the manipulation of life and disease, going a little mad.
    The Charr believe the ends justify the means in most cases and don't squirm at death.
    The Humans have their various gods and religions associated with them, Grenth being among them.
    The Sylvari are both curious and probably more in tune with the cycle of life and death than most other races, at least from what little we've seen of them. They are fresh into existence and don't quite have the social or ethical dogma that prevents experimentation with life or disease, much like young children toying around with insects and small animals for the first time, but with no adult to stop them and instill a notion that they shouldn't do that. Granted they have the teachings of what's his face, that instill some basic notion of morality, but at the same time children when they are little are told not to hurt others, and yet they always go through an experimentation phase until adult intervention occurs. The Sylvari are also different from all of the other races, they are sentient and mobile plants, but still plants. Sylvari necromancers create fleshy, animal life. People and animals don't have any qualms with pruning plants or tearing out undesired ones, in a similar sense, the Sylvari could also be capable of a similar level of detachment.

In role playing/lore aspects from my point of view, that is how things go for the various races. Granted there are always special cases and stories, but generally speaking that's how the various races could be connected to the necromancy profession.
    Everything then just comes down to which one do you prefer to look at? The various racials for each race are nothing but flavor really, they really don't compete with your profession's elites/abilities.

Up until a few days ago I was fairly dead set on doing a human necromancer, but after watching the videos of the sylvari zone and personal story, after doing the human personal story, I'm fairly tempted to switch. The human personal story thus far has been fairly bland and somewhat unmotivating. The events in the human zone are amazing though, but if the Sylvari ones are just as good or better, then I'm probably switching.

I'm making a Norn Necro and I don't care!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    I'm making a Norn Necro and I don't care!
    That's great! I love norn necromancer. Fits really good if you don't go by the lore which I don't really care about. Never did in any game. The class has to fit the race regarding looks and vis versa. And since, I think, a lot of people go by lore there will be very few norn necromancers.

Thanks for all of the replies! I feel more comfortable with a Charr Necro now. ;D

15+ Year Old Account
    A dark skinned Sylvari is as close as it gets for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glaukus View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies! I feel more comfortable with a Charr Necro now. ;D
    Oh god noooooooo, don't.....do.....it! ;(

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Charr would probably be Ash Legion and be fine. They view magic as suspect, but they value strength and if someone can prove their worth. Blood Legion could also work really well.

They also fit in just fine with Sylvari and Asura, no tweaking required.
    he is asking lore wise and lore wise sylvari are opose to necromancers and engineers finding it most fitting to be elementalists and mesmers,

if i made a necro it would be human because i would like my summons and humans get the hell hounds
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Plz show me your spreadsheets.
    5. You think critting for 5k is awesome, I normal hit for 7.4k with autoattacks.
    Some people are too pro.

which ever looks the best

Quote Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
    he is asking lore wise and lore wise sylvari are opose to necromancers and engineers finding it most fitting to be elementalists and mesmers,

if i made a necro it would be human because i would like my summons and humans get the hell hounds
    Killeen (Ghosts of Ascalon) was a sylvari Necromancer. Sylvari are not opposed to it, quite the opposite. They don't have the social stigmas of death, or any of the taboos or "respect for those that passed". You don't see many necromancers among the sylvari, but those that take it up (outside of Nightmare court) do so out of curiosity.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think they all work... I would have to say I favor Sylvari for necro, just because of Killeen from The Ghosts of Ascalon book. Her attitude of not really knowing that there is something kind of wrong about bringing someone who just died back, or asking if she could use someones bones if they were to die was more than amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Killeen (Ghosts of Ascalon) was a sylvari Necromancer. Sylvari are not opposed to it, quite the opposite. They don't have the social stigmas of death, or any of the taboos or "respect for those that passed". You don't see many necromancers among the sylvari, but those that take it up (outside of Nightmare court) do so out of curiosity.
    Idd............Sylvari fit it the best for me.

They are the most curious of the races. They are a young race. They are a nature-based race. The cycle of life and death in nature is very natural and I think that would interest the sylvari in necromancy in one regard.
    In another, none have died from old age. That would make them even more curious about death. It would allow them to understand it more.
    They also don't have the stigma and fear attached to death that other races have.

All these add up to sylvari making the best necros imo.

I'll be making my Sylvari a Necromancer. Strange as it seems, I think they are one of the best fits for the profession.