Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I'm actually scared to try this game.

Well, no, scared isn't the right word. I'm apprehensive though, and it's because I know the MOBA (.../ARTS/your favorite acronym...) genre is incredibly unforgiving towards newbies. Or, well, the playerbase tends to be. And it's weird, because normally I don't care what people yell in chat. When I played WoW, people raging in Battleground chat actually amused me. But, well, I guess what really worries me is wasting other peoples' time. The MOBA genre tends to put extreme focus on individual skill and as the games are pretty long, I'm worried about being that guy who ruins the game for everyone else.

The only other game in the genre I've played is Heroes of Newerth, and that was only for a dozen games or so, so I'm the definition of newbie. Am I silly for being apprehensive? Is it as bad as I suspect?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    and thats why they created bots, because if you suck, no one cares in bot games

learn how to play in bot games, once you get some confidence try a pvp game and if people talk trash to you, ignore it... youll be fine

Deleted
    When you first log in to a LoL account you get to choose your experience with moba games (think there are 4 choices from beginner to expert) and you get matched up with people who pick the same choice as you. Yes, people will rage at everything in this game, but from level 1-29 its pretty rare, atleast it was for me :P

Deleted
    no your not being silly, i can see why your apprehensive, LoL is a fantastic game, its just a shame that 99% of its massive community are a complete bunch of c***s. start a game, play your best and have fun.

Dont worry the community is very nice and welcoming towards newcomers.
    http://i.imgur.com/q1Qgv.png

(LoL is essentially the same, except that people ping 20 thousand times instead of drawing dicks on the minimap)
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

Deleted
    Yeah it's bad, if not worse than you expect i'm sorry to say! This site has good general guides on how to play and more specific champion guides too, read them and watch them and you'll then be prepared to get into the game proper.

LoL is a fantastic game, one of my favorites. But, you need to put on your thickest skin and prepare yourself for a moderately steep learning curve (wall?) and then you'll love this game once you're up to speed!

also if you play on the EU west or NA server there is a custom chatroom: "The Gentlemen's Club", join this (no quotes) and let people know you're new and fancy a few games to learn and i'm sure some folks will help out!

Good luck and i hope to catch you in the Summoners Rift soon!

Thanks guys.

I had no idea there was a training mode vs. bots, I'll definitely have to give that a try then!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... first play some maths with bots until you find the hero you wanna use and you learn how to use it... then try PVP and don´t think to much about what people say if you lose you will always find someone say ¨Im with a bunch of noobs¨ or something like that... Thats the only reason why i prefer Dota... because people dont do those things... and if they insult you or something ignore them and in the end of the math REPORT THEM! thats fun

Deleted
    There's no need to worry. The matchmaking system will always attempt to match you with equally skilled or experienced players. Your account starts at level 1 and level up by earning XP from playing matches.

There's the issue of experienced players making new accounts but that aside everyone you see in games will be just as new as you are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    Thanks guys.

I had no idea there was a training mode vs. bots, I'll definitely have to give that a try then!
    Bots are dumb buddy, like really really dumb. I'd not advise anyone to learn Vs. Bots as you'll get overconfident and then get stomped all over in a real game when you get there.

It's a fine place to learn how to last hit (a tactic where you only get the "last hit" on a mob so you get the gold, but don't push your lane towards the enemy turret) or even for testing out champions, but i'd never use bot games to learn how to play against people
    Last edited by mmocf45e30c4c7; 2012-07-18 at 11:06 PM. Reason: why i type so slow!

Reasonably, even if you start straight out in PVP, you will be skilled enough by the time people actually care. You say that you have tried the genre before, in that case I am sure you will be able to pick it up pretty quickly. If you somehow manage to get to level 30 and you are not skilled enough, that's when people tend to be really uptight.
    I love this game, and I love every champion and if you need someone to play with once in a while to help you out, add me as a friend. I am Rekenna on the NA servers.

You're right to be afraid to try LoL. It has possibly the worst community ever. As a free to play game it attracts many young players who will swear and yell and humiliate you if you mess up once. And since its a game where your mistakes punish your entire team, even older players will blow a gasket at you. You have to have a thick skin and learn to laugh at rage before playing LoL. Because 90% of your matches will have one or more VERY angry persons.

Heads up, bots wont magically teach you how to not feed. They're really stupid and don't behave realistically. Even the intermediate ones don't act like people. Your best bet is to just play against other newbies, and have a friend play (or observe) with you too. Preferably over vent/skype or in the same room so he can point out your stupid mistakes.

For example, when my friends started playing they'd like to stand veeeery close to bushes that were bordering the jungle during the laning phase. No amount of bot games will teach you that junglers like to hide in those and gank and instantly kill you. A friend can point out little things like that which can lead to you feeding the enemy, and can lead to you wasting everyone's chance at winning.

Bot games are good for getting a feel for a champion. Learning their combos and spells and stuff in an environment where no one cares if you die or screw up. But its not the optimal place to learn how to fight other players, where they'll predict and dodge everything you throw at them and surprise you from out of nowhere and instakill you with a combo and their ultimate.
    Last edited by Bombkirby; 2012-07-18 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonticus View Post
    Bots are dumb buddy, like really really dumb. I'd not advise anyone to learn Vs. Bots as you'll get overconfident and then get stomped all over in a real game when you get there.

It's a fine place to learn how to last hit (a tactic where you only get the "last hit" on a mob so you get the gold, but don't push your lane towards the enemy turret) or even for testing out champions, but i'd never use bot games to learn how to play against people
    Right, I didn't expect bots to give any real indication of what playing against players is like, but it sounded like it could be a nice way to get the basic mechanics of the game down.

I really appreciate all the comments and offers to help, guys. I'm currently looking at some basic game guides over at that site that was linked - LoLpro - mostly just to learn the game lingo. I was reading some other threads on this forum before and much of it is like swahili to me. I figured it'd be a good idea to at least be able to understand what people are talking about...

Deleted
    yeah it's pretty confusing, i struggled with AP meaning ability power and not armor pen -.-

"what... I'm a caster, why do i need armor penetration!?"

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The game is fantastic really, the community is the only real reason I don't play much anymore. Your best bet is to grow thick skin and ignore the abuse and just report people at the end of the match. Try to listen to criticism though, sometimes it can actually be useful even if it is delivered in an abusive negative way. Just don't let the jerks get to you.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you value your life, be somewhere else
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    You have to have a thick skin and learn to laugh at rage before playing LoL. Because 90% of your matches will have one or more VERY angry persons.
    ... and that person would be... YOU! xD

Now, seriously, If you want to be confident and laugh at those raging guys, just like you did in WoW, go read some guides first, especially general gameplay guides to lasthitting, warding, game roles etc.
    In Soviet Russia banks rob you! Oh, wait a second...

Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    It is, definitely. If you're ever struggling to get your first win of the day bonus too they can solve that pretty easily for you

What region do you plan to be playing on?
    I honestly have no idea, I didn't even realize there were regions until earlier in this thread. Is lag a big problem in the game or is it tolerant of poor pings?

Probably EU West for me then.

Sounds good! But for now - sleep!

Thanks to everyone who replied. I feel better about giving LoL a try now!

Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    Well, no, scared isn't the right word. I'm apprehensive though, and it's because I know the MOBA (.../ARTS/your favorite acronym...) genre is incredibly unforgiving towards newbies. Or, well, the playerbase tends to be. And it's weird, because normally I don't care what people yell in chat. When I played WoW, people raging in Battleground chat actually amused me. But, well, I guess what really worries me is wasting other peoples' time. The MOBA genre tends to put extreme focus on individual skill and as the games are pretty long, I'm worried about being that guy who ruins the game for everyone else.

The only other game in the genre I've played is Heroes of Newerth, and that was only for a dozen games or so, so I'm the definition of newbie. Am I silly for being apprehensive? Is it as bad as I suspect?
    LoL brings out the worst in the pimply nerds, be terrified!