Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why do people like Arthas?

I've only recently gotten into the Star Wars mythology, and I can't help but notice how much Anakin/Vader resembles Arthas. When you REALLY invest into the lore of both franchises, you can't help but grow to detest Arthas because he is basically Anakin Skywalker, stripped of the compelling characterization. Yes, the characterization of Arthas leading up to him becoming the Lich King, just pales to Anakin becoming Darth Vader.

So all in all, why do you like Arthas?

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, name, blah blah.

Played him as the Protagonist in the Human campaign. Played through his decent into Death Knight-dom.
    Currently Procrastinating

I've always enjoyed characters that are willing to cross that line to defines our humanity. You can argue about their methods, but they get results. How Arthas handles the citizens of Stratholme is a really good example. The city needed to be purged, but in doing so he lost a bit of his humanity.

It's a shame their ruined it all by making Arthas become mind controlled by Frostmorne.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because he's important.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's one of the most lore rich characters in Warcraft.

Yes, I like arthas because of the story in the Warcraft games.

Deleted
    wowpedia.org/Arthas read that and see. he is a lore gold mine and you get to see both sides of the story why he became evil, trying to save his people from the plague, but eventualy succome to it.

you cant detest 1 lore character for what an other did in a different universe that might have some resemblence

Deleted
    Arthas did good things and he also did bad things.You can see blizz actually made him more humane.On the other hand Thrall is just classical "Jesus" like char. he have to save his people his brother his land his world bla bla bla he don't have mistakes always do right thing etc. this is why I like Arthas because he is realistic hero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally? because I played as him in Warcraft3. This gave me a chance to really get into the thick of things when it came to the choices he made, and his gradual shift of character of "must do the right thing, for the light!" into "must do the right thing, no matter the cost!"

The Anakin comparison fails by the way, since the whole 'fall from grace' theme is highly prevailant in literature. And you want to know why? Because it works for people. It works because it creates dramatis personae. It works because it creates antiheroes. It works because it creates villains with an emotional attachment for the reader. It just works.

And because it works, it's been done before. Shakespeare did it. And while we may be aware of that, thats not a reason to dislike it.

Returning to Shakespeare, he wrote Romeo and Juliet. Are we now supposed to dislike every story wherein two lovers cannot be together because of (reasons)? No.
    Last edited by Chonar; 2012-07-19 at 09:34 AM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Deleted
    He is the best as Anakin is at the same time ... pretty simple .

The question would be .. why people like silvanaz ? useless elf that gets killed over and over , suicides , no power , no war tactics , ugly ... but you will still find silly people with necro likes .

More importantly ... why people like MUSHROOMS ?

Those are seriously disgusting things.

10+ Year Old Account
    After you played the human and undead campaing as him, it's sad that you have to ultimately kill him in WoW.
    I've learned to love the character following his story to the moment he sits on the Throne.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, forget everything. All you really need in order to understand is... just this.

10+ Year Old Account
    He is a traitor and deserves everything that happened to him!
    Mindless...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Justforthis123 View Post
    He is the best as Anakin is at the same timThe question would be .. why people like silvanaz ? useless elf that gets killed over and over , suicides , no power , no war tactics , ugly ... but you will still find silly people with necro likes .
    Looks like someone hasn't played the W3 TFT campaign...

Because I think the Scourge (and Forsaken) is by far the coolest aspect of the Warcraft lore, except perhaps the Old Gods and Sargeras. Naturally the leader of the Scourge will appeal to me. Plus, he kind of looks like Sauron, and the name resembles the Witch King.

Deleted
    Illidan is still no1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr1ffius View Post
    Illidan is still no1
    I find illidan overrated, yes the story is cool but still, i find arthas's story much more interessting

Arthas is a likeable character with human flaws. He is courageous and self-sacrificing; even as the Lich King he was a great leader of the Scourge. Arthas has always protected and motivated his people (whether they be humans or the undead); plus he has enough political savvy to get things accomplished.

Anakin Skywalker is selfish and only cares about getting what he wants (the girl). He may do some good deeds but they are all in a quest to gain power for himself. He's also terrible at politics and easily persuaded by those close to him. If anything, Anakin is more like Illidan Stormrage in that he's consumed by a quest for power and a woman (Padme / Tyrande).

I think the only distinguishing difference between Arthas and Anakin, is Anakin escaped from his madness at the end and was redeemed, but Arthas stayed evil to the very end, even with Jaina pleading for him, and as a result, he's in hell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by savutitus View Post
    Looks like someone hasn't played the W3 TFT campaign...
    Actually i did , thats why i wrote what i wrote .