Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kondura View Post
    Not to mention the addition of a whole new continent from launch and also two new dungeons, addition of "master" mode 5-mans, upgrading of over 1/2 the "normal" dungeons to new loot, new bosses, the addition of new battlegrounds, new PvP systems, two new crafting/utility professions.

Wow. Just ... wow.
    Welcome to Duh.

Pretty crazy, isn't it?

Deleted
    Have been playing for about a week now. Must say I love it.
    They really put the 'multiplayer' in MMO. Even when you grind for things, you can do it together with others, for example with the instant adventures, closing of rifts and those zone invasions.

I'm level 31 now, and loving the spell 'rotations' (I'm healing with Chloromancer and DPSing with Stormcaller). I always enjoyed healing with my WoW shaman, but this is so much more involved. I like.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Damn, have been reading almsot nothing but awesome things about rift the last 2 weeks in here.. Never tried it though.. waiting for MoP..

But with endgame content like that comming out it seems like thats what I always wanted wow to be like.. always something to do. I'm getting more and more convinced that I should try it out too, damn you all! :-P
    Last edited by Leothas; 2012-08-21 at 11:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leothas View Post
    Damn, have been reading almsot nothing but awesome things about rift the last 2 weeks in here.. Never tried it though.. waiting for MoP..

But with endgame content like that comming out it seems like thats what I always wanted wow to be like.. always something to do. I'm getting more and more convinced that I should try it out too, damn you all! :-P
    I quite Cataclysm during Firelands. It just got too boring too fast. The grind feels like a grind, and most of it you have to do alone (the same dailies every time).
    I like how Rift's grind seems more 'fun', doing it together with other people etc.

Of course I only played for a week, so to me everything is new and shiny, but I love for example how artifacts work. In WoW you can do Archaeology, which is flying around trying to find dig spots and hoping you get something awesome. In rift...while adventuring, sometimes you see something blinking. You can pick this up, and it's an artifact. You can collect these artifacts for rewards like mounts etc. Also bosses can drop rare artifacts. This way I can collect these artifacts without specifically looking for them. In WoW...I would fly from spot to spot, digging for artifacts, and it would be boring as I would have nothing to do during this grind.

Even though I would love to try MoP (I like the artstyle), I think I'll stick to Rift, they seem to deserve my money way more.

Quote Originally Posted by Leothas View Post

When you get bored with WoW patch 5.0, DL the trial edition of Rift. Sure, the first 20 levels won't truly represent the glory of the game, but it'll give you a fair hint at what lies in store for a subbed player. It should keep you busy for the month you're gonna have to wait for MoP to drop and give you a chance to evaluate the most important factors like the art, expansive talent trees, limited starter zones, etc.

Some people are totally put off by the art style or the "WoW clone" feel they first experience, others see and feel the differences immediately.

Even if you don't necessarily enjoy those first 20 levels, Rift's first expansion pack will include Vanilla Rift free of charge, so you'll at least get a leg up on eventually playing during your (possible) WoW downtime later on.

i tired rift at release friends quit so i did also, came back last week to give it a try. still disappointed, the game is so turned to solo play. no one communicates at all outside of a guild which no pve guild would take my fresh 50 just looking for people to run dungeons with(not be carried through raids). while leveling everyone just did there IA's and never spoke i think i had 5 conversations on the way to 50. sadly such a great concept for a game and great game in general. i just cant take the lack of a community feel.

Quote Originally Posted by boredisme9893 View Post
    i tired rift at release friends quit so i did also, came back last week to give it a try. still disappointed, the game is so turned to solo play. no one communicates at all outside of a guild which no pve guild would take my fresh 50 just looking for people to run dungeons with(not be carried through raids). while leveling everyone just did there IA's and never spoke i think i had 5 conversations on the way to 50. sadly such a great concept for a game and great game in general. i just cant take the lack of a community feel.
    Hmm, this sounds pretty strange. What server where you on? First of all, the game is by no means turned to solo play. Even professions have their own (multiplayer) Rifts to get materials. And unless you are on some sort of fucked up server I can guarantee you that it's easy to strike up a conversation with people, but you might have to take initiative some times. The only thing I've noticed is that general chat has been quiet lately. But that has a lot to do with me being on a pvp server in decline (with people heading to that damned Icewatch).

But finding a guild, even on my server, is easy. But when you say pve guild, this USUALLY pretty much means raiding guild. And like in any game, raiding guilds are pretty desperate if they pick up a fresh 50. Then again, I've been a super casual in a good raiding guild since start, because they back then accepted socials/friends. Not sure if they do anymore tho.

So maybe you were very unlucky with server choice or the people you met, or maybe you just didn't give enough of yourself. It's obvious that you see it differently than most of us at least. Sorry it wasn't a match!
    Last edited by Sleepysnik; 2012-08-21 at 04:04 PM.
    "You disgust me"- Grandma

Finally did it and started up my monthly Rift sub. Finally convinced my wife to play it with me. Finally get to play an MMO with a company behind it that truly gives a shit about their product. Thank Christ for Trion. Aside from a couple quirky visuals here and there, the game is light years past TOR and definitely kicking WoW's ass. I don't care about sub numbers. Trion is doing what they're doing with a much smaller community and I fucking like it. Seeing SL shit just reaffirms my thought process that this company is all about doing what needs to be done in order to cater to their audience. Glad to be a part of the community and look forward to seeing some of you in game, perhaps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Finally did it and started up my monthly Rift sub. Finally convinced my wife to play it with me. Finally get to play an MMO with a company behind it that truly gives a shit about their product. Thank Christ for Trion. Aside from a couple quirky visuals here and there, the game is light years past TOR and definitely kicking WoW's ass. I don't care about sub numbers. Trion is doing what they're doing with a much smaller community and I fucking like it. Seeing SL shit just reaffirms my thought process that this company is all about doing what needs to be done in order to cater to their audience. Glad to be a part of the community and look forward to seeing some of you in game, perhaps.
    I agree... heck... a consistent stream of updates, 9 patches strong and even a tenth on the way before the Storm Legion launch. Heck, they may even be more.

I am doing the trial have two level 15's already, I found it very easy to slide over to it from WoW, at least on the server I am on, have not seen or heard any whiners, gold for cash sellers, or any other malcontents, everyone plays nice, it is like WoW for grown ups.

My fps is hovers in the upper 40s except in Sanctum then it drops to 15-20, reminds me of WoW when Wrath came out and being in Dal. My latency is near one third of WoW, I know many have been speculating Blizz is bandwidth throttling now to save money and after seeing the night and day difference between it and Rift I can believe it.

I enjoy the pace of the game, sort of like being on cruise control until a huge invasions hit then it is pedal to the medal, people stop what ever they are doing and come from all over, next thing you know you are grouped in a raid and wiping invaders.

So far the only thing I wish they would add is the ability to tame pets, I saw this silver wolf I would have loved to be able to tame on my ranger.

I am going to sub on Friday, play Rift along with GW2 and pass on MoP for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    So far the only thing I wish they would add is the ability to tame pets, I saw this silver wolf I would have loved to be able to tame on my ranger.
    I purchased Warhammer: Age of Reckoning around the time of its release, and I remember feeling the same, not being able to tame pets myself. Coming into Rift, I didn't suffer any real WoW Hunter shock at not being able to tame. Truth is, after testing out a few different builds, I realized the pets were meant to be an extension of the Ranger, and not the highlight. As the Ranger is only 1/8th of the Rogue class, what pets were available to me meant less and less as time went on.

Basically, there are better ways to differentiate yourself than through pets, which always seemed like one of the goals in WoW. Would it be cool to tame what you wanted? Sure, but the rogue class offers so much, its a small price to pay.

Glad to see you're enjoying yourself. Speak up if you need any tips or advice!

Deleted
    Started playing about a week ago...level 36 now. Completely addicted again like I was in WoW way back. Haven't really had those amazing wooooooooooaaah moments yet like I had in WoW when exploring (some of the scenery was quite magical), but maybe that's just me becoming less 'impressable'. The area's definitely look great (love the fortress in gloamwood), but just haven't felt really in awe yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Started playing about a week ago...level 36 now. Completely addicted again like I was in WoW way back. Haven't really had those amazing wooooooooooaaah moments yet like I had in WoW when exploring (some of the scenery was quite magical), but maybe that's just me becoming less 'impressable'. The area's definitely look great (love the fortress in gloamwood), but just haven't felt really in awe yet.
    Have you found and solved the puzzle in Scarlet Gorge, as well as uncovered the cairn there as well? That was my first truly OH SHIT moment in the game, finding and opening the cairn in the most ridiculously unlikely (thus likely) place.

Deleted
    Puzzles? Carines? What're those? (:

Each zone in the game has at least one hidden puzzle, and one treasure cairn. Some zones have more than one. Each puzzle and cairn is 'hidden', sometimes in an obscure location in the zone, othertimes in a little nook or cranny you would think is inaccessible.

As I said, you can find a treasure cairn and the zone puzzle in each and every zone in the game, so I'll be nice and reveal videos for Scarlet Gorge only. You can look up all the rest if you want, but this is just to give you an impression.

How to Reach Scarlet Gorge Treasure Cairn Video

How to Reach Scarlet Gorge Puzzle

10+ Year Old Account
    So I finished all the patching and stuff today and need to make a character now. Any suggestions on which Shard(realm?) to choose?

Also which faction has a lot of MMO-C players on it? Last question, which class would be Paladin-esque?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolawl View Post
    So I finished all the patching and stuff today and need to make a character now. Any suggestions on which Shard(realm?) to choose?

Also which faction has a lot of MMO-C players on it? Last question, which class would be Paladin-esque?
    I think most of the posters here are Defiants, I am Guardian though. I also do not think most of the posters here are on my server, but I am on Seastone(PvP). Seastone is bustling. Tons of guilds recruiting, seeing lots of new players. People grouping at all levels. My friend just recently joined and just hit 40 this weekend. He said there were no lack of people to level with. Also, server transfers are free, so if you pick a server you don't like, you can move, once a week, for free.

Paladin is actually one of the Warrior tanking souls, though none of the Warrior souls can heal like a WoW Pally. Cleric can heal however, and has some melee DPS trees and a tanking tree. So not sure if you are referring to a WoW Pally, in which case I would say Cleric, or more of a Paladin in general, in which case I would say Warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I think most of the posters here are Defiants, I am Guardian though. I also do not think most of the posters here are on my server, but I am on Seastone(PvP). Seastone is bustling. Tons of guilds recruiting, seeing lots of new players. People grouping at all levels. My friend just recently joined and just hit 40 this weekend. He said there were no lack of people to level with. Also, server transfers are free, so if you pick a server you don't like, you can move, once a week, for free.

Paladin is actually one of the Warrior tanking souls, though none of the Warrior souls can heal like a WoW Pally. Cleric can heal however, and has some melee DPS trees and a tanking tree. So not sure if you are referring to a WoW Pally, in which case I would say Cleric, or more of a Paladin in general, in which case I would say Warrior.
    As you were the first person to actually reply, I suppose I'm going to Seastone. My next questions is on Seastone, would it be relatively simple to get started in PVE once I hit end game? That's really the only reason I'm playing Rift, because the end game PVE content is supposed to blow the current state of WoW's out of the water.
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolawl View Post
    As you were the first person to actually reply, I suppose I'm going to Seastone. My next questions is on Seastone, would it be relatively simple to get started in PVE once I hit end game? That's really the only reason I'm playing Rift, because the end game PVE content is supposed to blow the current state of WoW's out of the water.
    There are several guilds recruiting for starting end-game content. I see 2-3 in Level 50 chat on a regular basis, including my own. That is Guardian side though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    There are several guilds recruiting for starting end-game content. I see 2-3 in Level 50 chat on a regular basis, including my own. That is Guardian side though.
    Good thing I went Guardian then!

I ended up going with Warrior. IGN is Voo. I realized I'm still on trial acct so I'll be paying my sub shortly
    Accept your limitations.