Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best stats for each class?

I was just wondering what stats are best for a given class you choose. I have been looking around to find a stat guide but haven't gotten any luck.
    Do stats even matter in this game? Can I go full on anything? Or is there a guide to what stats are best for a given class.

Kinda like asking if a mage should wear int in wow or a warrior should value strength? Any good stat guides out their or can I just pick whatever from quests and events as they always give the correct armor type?

Was working on a ranger last BWE

There is no strength or intellect. All stats do the same thing for each class.

And the "best" stat for you is really going to be based on your build and playstyle. It's not going to be as clearly defined as some other games.

It depends on how you want to play. Each class can really do it all, some are better at some aspects but over all each one can do whatever. If you want raw damage power/pre, want to throw dots?...Then heavy condition damage. Each class has range/melee, can be very defense heavy, support or even a glass cannon.

Deleted
    I don't think - and I say think because others in this forum are much more into theorycrafting than I am - that any stat is useful depending on your playstyle.
    Because of the lack of trinity, depending on how you're decked out, and your traits are sorted, you'll have a more supportive or damageish playstyle that can be supported by your stats.
    Stats are also small improvements in gear instead of large ones, so honestly I don't think they matter as much as in other games.

In other words, if you're looking for a support build on a ranger you might want to get a bit more of x, but if you want a more mobile utility based playstyle you might want slightly more y.

Deleted
    Yeah depends on play style. E.g. if you play an elementalist (sort of like mage) you can go for a crit build, or conditions (dots) or heavy support. You can mix them up to a certain extent. But there is no such thing as best stats since all are good for each profession.

You might want to play around a litte with this build calculator: http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simulator.php

If you're a straight up instant damage build; Power or Precision
    If you have damage or time or debuff effects; +condition damage
    If you want to buff your few healing spells; +Healing power

Then there are defensive stats.

Ideally you don't stack any of these. You build your gear with a central focus, yes, but you always want to balance your damaging stats with your survival stats. And if you're a support, you'll want to throw some healing power in there too.

It's not as simple as WoW and other games where for x class/spec, Power=1, Precision=.8, Condition damage=.65. You have to build your gear to fit your role.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinomatic View Post
    There is no strength or intellect. All stats do the same thing for each class.

And the "best" stat for you is really going to be based on your build and playstyle. It's not going to be as clearly defined as some other games.
    Im curious as to what builds work best in what stats. How would a ranger using a sword work with precision compared to one wielding a shortbow build?

I was just wondering what stats are best for a given class you choose. I have been looking around to find a stat guide but haven't gotten any luck.
    Do stats even matter in this game? Can I go full on anything? Or is there a guide to what stats are best for a given class.

Kinda like asking if a mage should wear int in wow or a warrior should value strength? Any good stat guides out their or can I just pick whatever from quests and events as they always give the correct armor type?
    There are best stats for each build within a profession. There are no best stats for a profession as a whole.

Stats matter. A lot. I would advise you do some research on actual game mechanics. Information on the core concepts are on the Guild Wars 2 wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

Stats matter. A lot. I would advise you do some research on actual game mechanics. Information on the core concepts are on the Guild Wars 2 wiki.
    Where? Any links? I am kinda having a difficult time finding a good guide to GW2 stats for builds. :/

Also how do stats affect your lvling. If I wanna lvl and stats constantly change per build does that mean I can't weild a sword and switch to bow and do well lvling without changing up my stats?
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-07-19 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    Where? Any links? I am kinda having a difficult time finding a good guide to GW2 stats for builds. :/
    There's not really much in the way of guides right now, only information about how the stats work.

Deleted

Also how do stats affect your lvling. If I wanna lvl and stats constantly change per build does that mean I can't weild a sword and switch to bow and do well lvling without changing up my stats?
    I suggest you read all the answers in this thread and not just one. Cause if you did, you wouldn't have to ask that question. Anyway.....http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

So stats are based on the traits you choose and not what weapon you use?

In the most general sense you could say it depends on your Weapon. A weapon which applies a lot of Condition Damage will scale better with Condition Damage (the stat), as thats where most of the damage from that weapon comes from. Example, Pistol on Engineer.

The Rifle on Engineer has no built-in condition damage at all, so taking that stat will do very little for your damage output. Instead you'd want Power, as all your abilities deal straight up damage.

Ofcourse its more complex then that, but your weapon is a major factor in what stats you'd go for.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Attribute

That is the wiki page that you need. And as said previously, it is all dependent on how you want to build your character.

Like it or not. I may just pick up a guide. I know its an mmo but maybe the guide can tell you about how the stat system works in a more noob friendly way.
    More organized as well. Guides helped me learn how Wow stats work I don't see an issue w/ GW2

but ill wait and see how thing play out with the info I get

Deleted
    If I had to explain it I'd say
    Build determines your weapon AND your traits. The Build is defined by playstyle.

You will have a weapon that defines your playstyle in the sense that for example it applies a lot of bleeding. Or maybe it has a couple of skills related to support. That style (connected to weapon) will be what connects to your traits.

For example shortbows have a lot of conditions/aoe damage if I remember correctly. You'll want to put points on your traits to boost the condition damage, if that's the style you like. And you'll also want to look for stats that improve condition.

I hope that made sense...

---------- Post added 2012-07-19 at 06:42 PM ----------

Like it or not. I may just pick up a guide. I know its an mmo but maybe the guide can tell you about how the stat system works in a more noob friendly way.
    More organized as well. Guides helped me learn how Wow stats work I don't see an issue w/ GW2
    Yeah, try the linked wiki page for attributes, that's probably the best way to start looking.
    It might take a little bit on getting guides out for GW2 as most of the ones that were being made (or builds that were being made) are now probably changed (As they're changing traits around a bit).

Deleted
    Weapon, Armor, Traits, Runes, Sigils and Amulets. Look on the wiki page for GW2 it has been posted twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    this will probably give you a better idea of what you're getting yourself into, check the armor part.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Deleted
    the easyiest way to test how stats work is the pvp in the mists. there are merchants that sell enchants for your equip (without any enchant you items dont have any stats) and the most of the set enchants only have 1-2 stats on it.

for exampel there is 1 set where you get only the defensive stat (you take less damage) with a bonus on your rally speed.

many elementalists complained in the first bwe that they have no life and die so fast, that was because there default set has no defensive stats and if they put there points into fire/wind they really have no def stats.

i have tried one build for crits with daggers, nearly every 3th attack was a crittical but the others got 50 - 100% more hp then i got with it.

then i tried a support staff build with the pure defense stat and a little bit + healing (with water & arcane spec). i survived like for ever but my enemy too :3

so it just depends on your playstyle not on the class. the offensive & def. stats are for every class the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a lil something I throw together as an example I just threw pieces on without consideration, so its not a serious build.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fMUQ...jrGZQrHGJcS4hA
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.