Monk Gear Help: Stuck late Act 2

Hello all, I am getting stuck late in Act 2, and trying to get to Act 3.. I thought my gear was very solid, but it seems I am hitting a wall... I wanted to check in with the experts and see what else I should be doing here. (I am pushing for the Crit build, as I hate sword and board playing!)

As I can't put a picture here, I have linked my gear/stats/build

Appreciate all your help!

use.com/d7c363e7f5098f0339ad

10+ Year Old Account
    You've got little to no armor
    Your dps is very low taking into account dualwielding
    The amount of LoH you've got is at the borderline
    for a crit build you dont have a lot of +critical hit dmg
    Your resistance is about as low as i'd possibly let it drop...

Just a few thoughts

Wow quick response! What gear optoins should I look to replace first? Everything seems to cost 2m+ per item that is better then this unfortunately :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Arghh151 View Post
    Hello all, I am getting stuck late in Act 2, and trying to get to Act 3.. I thought my gear was very solid, but it seems I am hitting a wall... I wanted to check in with the experts and see what else I should be doing here. (I am pushing for the Crit build, as I hate sword and board playing!)

As I can't put a picture here, I have linked my gear/stats/build

Appreciate all your help!

use.com/d7c363e7f5098f0339ad

stats seem alright, dex seems a little low, could definetly use more crit dmg, you've got tons of crit chance, which is awesome, but if u dont start stacking crit dmg then its not nearly as useful.

also get some more armor, and if u could, please link your skills/passives, that would help a lot.

---------- Post added 2012-07-21 at 10:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Syenite View Post
    Your resistance is about as low as i'd possibly let it drop...
    i know PLENTY of monks, myself included, that cleared inferno before the nerfs with 750 resist all, so no, not really.

edit: best way to get crit dmg is outta weapons, u can find weapons with over 90% base crit and a socket, thats how i roll, u can get nearly 400% crit dmg that way.
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-07-21 at 05:23 PM.

My full armor and build is on the same link, if you hit the arrow to the right of the picture, it will come up.

Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Rigor, i had 730 resistance when clearing inferno myself - i had 6.000 more dps and a shield though...
    If you want to go through with it however 3800 armor and 740 resistance do not provide jackshit protection when you cant blast things down (which aint possible at 14500 derps)
    Last edited by Syenite; 2012-07-21 at 05:35 PM.

I don't know why people hate shields so much Imo, just get a shield with 10% crit 100 Resist (50 all resist 50 of Specific Resist~) High block% and block amount...tbh shouldn't cost more than 100-200k. Even if you don't use the shield so much (only on specific elites or bosses) its good to have. I personally have 100% less crit damage, 10% less crit chance, 1k less damage, .2 Less APS, and 500 less life on hit using a shield. I do however have more armor (8k~) and less resist (690~) and i can facedesk act 2. Just get a shield for tough elites is what i am saying, keep the 2 one hands for clearing trash, but believe me act 3 is even worse so i would just give a shield a try. Shields aren't too expensive anyway (get a Blue Shield if you have to)

Edit : Holy crap, i didn't see how little dex you had O.O Try to get more dex imo. Drop some crit ffs you don't need that much , i have 24 crit chance and my cyclone gets 3 stacks almost instantly and spams tornado's like no tomorrow.

Rigor, i had 730 resistance when clearing inferno myself - i had 6.000 more dps and a shield though...
    If you want to go through with it however 3800 armor and 740 resistance do not provide jackshit protection when you cant blast things down (which aint possible at 14500 derps)
    ya, i had like 10k more dmg, hehe. but i never used a shield, even when it was supposedly "impossible", lol.

OP more armor or resists, its up to you, but you could def benefit from more armor. could also try running with another monk using the healing/resist all mantra, and a barb with warcry, then you'll have plenty enough resists =p, you'll also want more hp, 31k isnt enough for act3.

also, your dodge chance is low because your dex is low, work on that.

and last but not least, u cant use mantra of conviction and complain about getting rocked (MoC is only for farming acts, not progressing through them, unless you've got 100mill+ gear, lol), lol use mantra of evasion with the armor rune or healing with the resist rune.
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-07-21 at 05:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know you dislike the idea, but getting a 1k dps 1H weap is pretty cheap, rock that with a board and your dps will go up by a ton; you can even get a shield with 1100 armor, 8% crit and 140 dex fairly cheap. Not saying its THE way to do it, but its far far easier and a lot more forgiving

Deleted
    First time I cleared act 2 with sword and board I had around 710 all resist 17k dps 600loh 6500 armor and 41% dodge, best thing I could advise you is stick to act 1 if you have no troubles with it trying to find gear for yourself or making some gold from selling the somewhat decent drops that you cant use on the AH to get better gear

I know you dislike the idea, but getting a 1k dps 1H weap is pretty cheap, rock that with a board and your dps will go up by a ton; you can even get a shield with 1100 armor, 8% crit and 140 dex fairly cheap. Not saying its THE way to do it, but its far far easier and a lot more forgiving
    ill agree with ya, if you're not extremely familiar with this game series/genre, you may not want to go dual wield or 2h at all, lol. its much less of a headache especially when you get into acts3-4 (i had a number of rage quits before i downed diablo, 2 nights before the nerfs, lol), i know a lot of people that rerolled to easier to farm/clear content classes like dh or wiz; they should of just went sword and bored (pun intended =P)

Armor is low. Dex is very low (800's?), hence dps and dodge are low. I'd personally drop one (or both) of those weapons for ones with dex, high loh, and empty sockets (you should be able to get ones with similiar output for not absurd amounts of money). Drop conviction for evasion / hard target. Not a fan of those rings either, having no dex on them... especially that Eternity's Revenge one.. you can do better than that without dropping millions. Same goes for the bracers, I suspect getting better would be pretty easy.

But by this point in the game, you certainly know what you're doing if you can get through act 2. Now it's just 'more' of everything.

Thank you all for the response. In the end, I spent 150k on a shield, switched to MoE and can rip through Act 2 with no issues at all. Even with the subpar stats. Amazing the difference a shield made. it was night and day.

As for Act 3 now... I hit the wall once again, but I know what to look for.

thank you! (especially for the shield suggestion!!, even though i was dead set against it!)

focus on one resistance type and spam it in every item you get

Quote Originally Posted by cnr9 View Post
    focus on one resistance type and spam it in every item you get
    That eventually isn't enough though... you will need to get several pieces with that one resist + resist all to get the numbers you need

You will need double the dex to progress further. you don't need to spam crit at the expense of other stats. spam dex, you'll do the same (more) dps and live way longer.

my monk also has 734 resists but i have 30k dps 1800 dex and 40k hp. really need to find yourself a new weapon. i sit around 24.5% crit and i use the scoundrel for his 3% crit buff and my sweeping wind stacks to 3 fast and sends out cyclones like there is no tomorrow. a helm with a socket for a % life gem would give you a huge boost in hp