Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    Deleted

Camera and Movement - The game is broken?

I made a video on the matter, I suggest you watch that rather than read this.

Written in BWE1
    So there is one big thing that is putting me off GW2, and that thing is movement and control. I'm at the point where is actually becoming a little fustrating. I'm thinking to myself, 'Is this actually a bug because no one else seems to be complaining' I don't want to be the bad guy. I want to like Gw2 but I feel like I won't be able to get into it until the control is fixed.

Let me tell you what I mean. I know some people have mentioned it, and it really is making the whole game feel sluggish, really really sluggish. The camera, first off. It feels like a really slow, action game camera, perhaps one you would imagine on a console. Now thinking of how to cmpare the feel of the camera, I am reminded of Gears of War 1, and how everything just felt so...chuncky. Holding left click and moving my mouse to look somwhere, the camera feels like it's just very slightly behind where I'm pointing. However, that's not my biggest gripe. There seems to be some sort of 'Smart camera' effect. Holding left click and moving my mouse around, the camera seems to pivot oddly and it feels like there is some anchor that it's moving from. I can't exaclty put it into words, but it feels bad. I'm doing in game checks as I write this to better understand what I am trying to get at. The camera, when moving around my character seems to drop slightly in fps. I noticed a good way to evidance my point, when postioning the camera so you are looking down at your character, it all feels very slow, but smooth. It doesn't allow for fast reactions.

Now onto what I feel is the biggest problem. The movement. From idle to running, it takes a second to get going, when turning my character he seems to jitter slightly. This is more evidant when I PVP, as I hold both the right and left mouse buttons in to move, things get really weird. The camera Now my biggest fustration. Why on earth does my character move at a snails pace when stafing from side to side? It's bewildering. On the topic of moving slow, my character seems to change speed at certain times. I've tested this out in structured pvp. I, as a Necromancer, will use my locust swarm to get a bit of speed and I've noticed sometimes I'm faster and sometimes it acts as though I haven't got the buff. (I had no conditions or anything.) After the buff to my speed I continue to run at an odd pace. After stopping and then begining to run again I will move at the intended speed. I've sort of noticed it's random. I'll be running up stairs very slowly, I'll stop, begin running again, and it'll be back to normal. I really don't think it's relating to fall damage, stuns or slows or anything as all of this was tested out of combat.

The camera and the general movement stop me from playing. I don't want to irritate anyone by bringing this up, but WoW's camera and controls are like playing with air. It's lightning fast! No unnecessary animations that add a sluggish feel to the controls. I want to like Gw2, but I cannot until this has been fixed.

Either my PC is reacting in a very strange fashion to the game, or it has a major flaw. It has nothing to do with getting used to it, and you'll just have to take my word on this. It just feels too bad to be that.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ __
    All of that was written during BWE1. I didn't take part in BWE2 because I went right off the game due to these issues. I've came back in BWE3 determined to get a better feeling of GW2, but the same issues are crippling my experience. The game is a chore to play, it's really not fun because of this. After a while I feel like I'm lifting a brick just trying to turn my character around.

I turned all of graphics to low and I even put the res to the lowest possible. The issues persist, but are admittedly better. My PC is by no means great, but it can run WoW on ultra. I was incredibly fustrated going through Divinities Reach. I thought to myself 'This is astounding. The scale of this city could bring someone to tears...if only I didn't feel like I was trapped in chewing gum trying to plod about.

For the record, I've tried all types of movement. WASD and holding in both mouse buttons (the proper way) and a comibnation of the two. Nothing makes it better.

Again, I don't hate GW2...I just want to vent this issue. I wish I had access to someone else that had GW2 IRL so I could see if they had the same problems.

Thank you for reading this massive wall of text.

'I will however say this: I did change the camera speed. That didn't help anything. If those that suggested that as being a problem solver, are you sure you read all of the post? Even if that did work, it would not solve all of the issues.'

I have came to the conclusion that it is not just preference. By reading these posts, it cannot be. There is something wrong with the game in the sense that it is reacting strangely to certain types of components, perhaps. I would not make such a big deal of it if I felt it JUST 'Not my style'. It however, feels unintended and unenjoyable.
    Last edited by mmoccc3932e217; 2012-07-24 at 09:22 AM.

The movement is all intentional. The slow strafing is so that you cant strafe as fast as someone chasing you so you have to choose between nuking him or running away. The same with the acceleration time.
    The slow camera movement is because the character actually have a turning speed. The camera is moving at the character turn speed. This aswell is a balance feature so people cant just turn around and cast while running away.

The game might just not be for you. They cant please everyone and no one is forcing you to play.

You dun goofed writing anything bad about the godsend that is GW2 /sarcasm. I can agree its a bit off putting because all other MMOs have had fairly weightless characters, GW2 is trying to change that. Im not a GW2 fanboi in the least bit, i prolly wont even buy the game until ive made enough money on my paypal from selling gold in D3 (so dont think im biased). There are some severe issues that need to be fixed in only a month and a few days. Something should be done to make it feel more natural though imo. And by natural i mean that .5-1 second delay that SWTOR had cannot be there, if i hit W it should start moving instantly, like in WoW not the second delay.
    Last edited by A Day to Remember; 2012-07-20 at 09:43 PM.

I noticed the same camera sluggishness, so I went into the options and increased the camera rotation speed and it's perfect now.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

To me it feels... off somehow. The super tight control of WoW I'm not feeling in GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not complaining because, honestly, I felt like movement in certain other MMOs was too rapid. It was broken... not fluid at all. Not smooth. With the way my characters have moved in other MMOs, their spines should not be functional.

The movement in GW2 feels... "real" to me. Feels smooth and fluid, and it forces me to actually think about how I move my character. My positioning actually matters, and is actually something to work at.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I'm playing GW2 Beta for the 1st time and despite it saying so, Page Up and Page Down do not zoom in/out for me... what do I do to actually zoom in?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforMoP View Post
    I'm playing GW2 Beta for the 1st time and despite it saying so, Page Up and Page Down do not zoom in/out for me... what do I do to actually zoom in?
    I use scroll wheel. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can increase your camera speed I believe. Different games have different default camera/turn speeds. Coming from another MMO to this one definitely feels differnt...but I wouldn't chalk it up to anything bad.

/jumps off off a small rock with sparkle pony and does a 1080.

mouse wheel will zoom

Now you've got me worried.

Camera and movement lag tend to make me sick. Are the movement controls themselves similar to WoW (move with one mouse button and control the camera with the other)? Looks like this is another "try it before you buy it game."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    Now you've got me worried.

Camera and movement lag tend to make me sick. Are the movement controls themselves similar to WoW (move with one mouse button and control the camera with the other)? Looks like this is another "try it before you buy it game."
    Yes, the camera controls are the same. The OP didn't bother checking the settings where he could have change the camera rotation speed to make it feel less sluggish/heavy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    To me it feels... off somehow. The super tight control of WoW I'm not feeling in GW2.
    this.

it's always felt a bit ... unnatural considering wow is really good with it's responsiveness, anything else feels super weird. :/

I'm yet to find an MMO other than WoW that doesn't have floaty movement.

Is A & D useful, or can you just bind the strafe to them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranberries View Post
    this.

it's always felt a bit ... unnatural considering wow is really good with it's responsiveness, anything else feels super weird. :/
    I can't agree. WoW responsiveness is really quick and precise, but it also felt unnatural.

Not to say it's a bad thing, but different games are different. I think GW2's movement is part of the strategy involved in playing the game skillfully.

Deleted
    OP - been saying thing for ages based on videos and I cannot for the life of my understand why it is like this. The animation is shoddy as hell and the movement is very jerky. It feels like you are hovering all over the place. It will probably be a deal breaker for me. Still enjoying the beta even if it feels like Rift so far.

Come on Arenasoft, get the basics right, you have something decent to play but don't fail on these things. You seems to have no idea how important this is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Is A & D useful, or can you just bind the strafe to them?
    I found it best to just bind strafe to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    OP - been saying thing for ages based on videos and I cannot for the life of my understand why it is like this. The animation is shoddy as hell and the movement is very jerky. It feels like you are hovering all over the place. It will probably be a deal breaker for me. Still enjoying the beta even if it feels like Rift so far.
    That's not what he's talking about. The game hasn't been "jerky" and "hovering all over the place" in a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything feels solid to me. Of course I fiddled with the camera rotation speed and turned on free camera to get it the way I liked it, but I haven't been fighting with anything control wise or camera wise.. I've been fighting the undead.

I'm not the MMO guy that's turning his character 180 degrees in half a second constantly, because that makes me sick, so if the game is keeping you from turning at a certain speed, I'm not noticing it, and perhaps I'm thankful for it.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)