Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So does anyone who has the patience to listen to that video want to say how this is relevant to EA? I skipped through a bit and he was retreading all the handwaiving and fearmongering over the Activision trademark before I lost interest.

They really need to have summaries or TLDW's in the descriptions of their videos.
    Some of youtubers have a re-cap and they generaly say where to skip.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

So does anyone who has the patience to listen to that video want to say how this is relevant to EA? I skipped through a bit and he was retreading all the handwaiving and fearmongering over the Activision trademark before I lost interest.

They really need to have summaries or TLDW's in the descriptions of their videos.
    You mean other than a multi-million dollar corporation investing significant time, effort, and money into figuring out how to milk players for more money rather than figuring out how to make a better game?

We all get it. EA is a soulless corporation. It's a trope at this point. But it's especially damning at this point to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. And if EA is doing it, you know every other major AAA game company isn't far behind.

You want to dismiss it as "Handwaiving" and "Fearmongering", fine. Nobody can stop you. But it's pretty clear the direction game development is going, and I don't think anyone who wants to see better games in the future should gloss this over.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    You mean other than a multi-million dollar corporation investing significant time, effort, and money into figuring out how to milk players for more money rather than figuring out how to make a better game?

We all get it. EA is a soulless corporation. It's a trope at this point. But it's especially damning at this point to see just how deep the rabbit hole goes. And if EA is doing it, you know every other major AAA game company isn't far behind.

You want to dismiss it as "Handwaiving" and "Fearmongering", fine. Nobody can stop you. But it's pretty clear the direction game development is going, and I don't think anyone who wants to see better games in the future should gloss this over.
    No, I dismiss all the concerns that Activision has filed a patent to match you up with folks in sweet looking cosmetic gear. Yeah, companies want to show you how sick their paid cosmetic stuff looks to encourage you to buy it. So what. Not to mention folks were freaking out that this was already in games despite it literally just being a trademark and it not being remotely ready to put in place in any game yet.

Still waiting to hear how this remotely applies to EA since I don't want to waste 10 minutes listening to some random guy largely repeat shit that others have said more eloquently and with more authority, and in far fewer words, elsewhere.

Still waiting to hear how this remotely applies to EA since I don't want to waste 10 minutes listening to some random guy largely repeat shit that others have said more eloquently and with more authority, and in far fewer words, elsewhere.
    Admit it Edge, you want to listen to those youtubers asking their viewers to like and subscribe the video for 3minutes before they even get to the point and then continue to not even get to the point while inserting annoying off topic meme content and then finally end the 10minute video with a finishing statement that vaguely connects to the original title of the video and of course another please like and subscribe plug

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I dismiss all the concerns that Activision has filed a patent to match you up with folks in sweet looking cosmetic gear. Yeah, companies want to show you how sick their paid cosmetic stuff looks to encourage you to buy it. So what. Not to mention folks were freaking out that this was already in games despite it literally just being a trademark and it not being remotely ready to put in place in any game yet.

Problem is that when it comes to videos like this, they get flagged by youtube system and trown into a never show to anyone search engine. Since those publishers in big copperations pay youtube to run adds on their videos, when the specific game gets mentioned. And they dont want a negative feed on their videos adds.

If someone looks for info when they want to buy this game, they generaly check the youtube. Videos like this cause the publishers to lose new players that could be turned into payers.

Type EA battlefront in youtube search engine and filter it to today.
    Video explosing EA: 32K views
    Random guy playing battlefront: 9 views Or none at all on 7h upload

EA has done fucking Research Papers on how turn unfair matchmaking into moneymaking scheme.

There. That is the tl;dr. If you don't see how that is awful, then be gone from gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Problem is that when it comes to videos like this, they get flagged by youtube system and trown into a never show to anyone search engine. Since those publishers in big copperations pay youtube to run adds on their videos, when the specific game gets mentioned. And they dont want a negative feed on their videos adds.
    Heavy citation needed for this. Publishers don't have this kind of control over Googles algorithms and advertising system.

If someone looks for info when they want to buy this game, they generaly check the youtube. Videos like this cause the publishers to lose new players that could be turned into payers.
    I use google and look at a mixture of articles and videos. I know some folks pick one or the other, but they're both useful.

Either way, heavy sauce needed for your claim that publishers have the power to quash videos like this.

Type EA battlefront in youtube search engine and filter it to today.
    Video explosing EA: 32K views
    Random guy playing battlefront: 9 views Or none at all on 7h upload
    Yeah, because the guy "exposing" EA (usually not doing anything of the sort) is playing into popular narratives and often already has a built in playerbase.

Not many folks want to watch hours of raw gameplay, and there are thousands of videos of folks posting lengthy raw gameplay recordings that aren't remotely impressive.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you bother to do any research to back up anything you say, or do you just post whatever comes up into your head and fits with your worldview?

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    EA has done fucking Research Papers on how turn unfair matchmaking into moneymaking scheme.

There. That is the tl;dr. If you don't see how that is awful, then be gone from gaming.
    Thanks, that's helpful. What do you mean by "unfair"? Do you mean overleveled/geared players versus underleveled/geared players? Do you mean, similar to Activision (which I assume it is since the dude opened his video with it), simply pairing up players with cash shop cosmetics with those without to encourage folks to spend?

The former isn't a problem unique to monetization at all, that's just bad matchmaking period. Yeah, it can be exploited via monetization, but if the worst we have are research papers I don't think we need to pick up our torches and pitchforks yet. If it's the latter, I still don't view that as an issue. Yes, monetization can always be done poorly, but simply matching non-paying players with players that have spent on cosmetics to encourage the non-paying players to drop some scratch in the cash shop on cosmetic gear isn't really "evil".
    Last edited by Edge-; 2018-01-08 at 12:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heavy citation needed for this. Publishers don't have this kind of control over Googles algorithms and advertising system.

I use google and look at a mixture of articles and videos. I know some folks pick one or the other, but they're both useful.

Either way, heavy sauce needed for your claim that publishers have the power to quash videos like this.

Yeah, because the guy "exposing" EA (usually not doing anything of the sort) is playing into popular narratives and often already has a built in playerbase.

Not many folks want to watch hours of raw gameplay, and there are thousands of videos of folks posting lengthy raw gameplay recordings that aren't remotely impressive.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you bother to do any research to back up anything you say, or do you just post whatever comes up into your head and fits with your worldview?

Thanks, that's helpful. What do you mean by "unfair"? Do you mean overleveled/geared players versus underleveled/geared players? Do you mean, similar to Activision (which I assume it is since the dude opened his video with it), simply pairing up players with cash shop cosmetics with those without to encourage folks to spend?

The former isn't a problem unique to monetization at all, that's just bad matchmaking period. Yeah, it can be exploited via monetization, but if the worst we have are research papers I don't think we need to pick up our torches and pitchforks yet. If it's the latter, I still don't view that as an issue. Yes, monetization can always be done poorly, but simply matching non-paying players with players that have spent on cosmetics to encourage the non-paying players to drop some scratch in the cash shop on cosmetic gear isn't really "evil".
    I want fair and fun matches, not advertisements.

The whole "We are gonna match the noobs with veterans decked in cosmetic gear and then give them detailed replays showing off the loot they used to PWN you with so you rush off to the store" is definitely going into dark territory.

At that point you may as well just play that actual real loot box game where you upgrade your cardboard trashcan to a cosmic colored multi shelved box piece of art by playing snakes to get cash and selling all your non epic loot. Tried to find the game to link but typing "lootbox" into youtube is a maze I'll never come out of.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-01-08 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I want fair and fun matches, not advertisements.
    You can still get that, just with folks with flashy gear. They don't change the actual gameplay of the matches.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can still get that, just with folks with flashy gear. They don't change the actual gameplay of the matches.
    Seems the main idea is to be an advertisement with fair and fun matches coming second.

a competitive match making system is required for the games longevity. Rigging it to set you up with people out of your skill bracket is a good way to kill off participation

Just look over at how much stress it causes for Overwatch a hugely popular game.

Except that's not what the trademarked system does. It prioritizes matching players without paid cosmetics with player who do have it. It's putting cosmetic crap from the cash shop ahead of matchmaking based on skill levels. It's literally sacrificing good gameplay to encourage players to spend additional money beyond what they've already paid for to play the game in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Seems the main idea is to be an advertisement with fair and fun matches coming second.
    World of tanks is using this rigged system for years now.
    This is a addon/mod that some person made to prove this:

If you ended up in 30% win rate team...best thing was to hide somewhere to save on repairs. I seen a 21% win rate team getting wiped in 2 min.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    This may affect whole gaming industry, which is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    This may affect whole gaming industry, which is bad.
    Just an another reason to steer away from EActivisionsoft games.

Deleted
    Having played SW BF2 for good 30 hours or so i can say that the current matchmaking system is not trying to make fair games.
    90% of matches are complete steamroll.
    Took me a few hours of gameplay to figure out how to win. Join game ,check scoreboard
    If your top 5 player score / eliminations are higher than opponent team then stay and enjoy free win. If not, then leave.
    If you get into fresh game then it takes like 2-3 minutes to see if your team is winning or losing.
    So you keep hopping games til you get to winning side.
    In rare ocasions when the teams are balanced, its actually really fun casual multiplayer shooter.
    However if your team lost then it keeps losing, because the game dosent shuffle teams between maps. And good players tend to stick on the same side.

EA BF2 either has no matchmakeing system at all. Meaning it just takes 40 random players and puts em into the game, without taking anything into account (player account level, skill ect).
    Or, its like this by design: Matching veterans vs beginners , so beginners keep getting wrecked and would buy more crates. Only problem is that due to backlash they had to disable microtransactions , so that design really dosent work anymore. And they probably dont even bother to redesign matchmakeing, because BF2 wont bring any big revenue anymore.

Its financially wise to scrap EA BF2, create BF3 and try again.
    Last edited by mmocba676b58bd; 2018-01-08 at 05:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polaarius View Post
    Its financially wise to scrap EA BF2, create BF3 and try again.
    Honestly, I dont think people are going to give EA a third try. The best thing that could happen here is that EA has the SW lisc stripped and given to another studio.

I know Ill never purchase another EA published Star Wars game as long as I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Honestly, I dont think people are going to give EA a third try. The best thing that could happen here is that EA has the SW lisc stripped and given to another studio.

I know Ill never purchase another EA published Star Wars game as long as I live.
    Rofl. You don't know how stupid consumers are. This isn't the fist time ea has been shady and still everyone buys their games. Remember sim city's always online lie? Or how about Sims 4 cutting content that was in Sims 3 just to resell it? Viaceral studios?

They were even named worst company in America twice in a row and yet they still turn profits and continue to because most people don't care and they'll buy whatever they offer
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Rofl. You don't know how stupid consumers are. This isn't the fist time ea has been shady and still everyone buys their games. Remember sim city's always online lie? Or how about Sims 4 cutting content that was in Sims 3 just to resell it? Viaceral studios?

They were even named worst company in America twice in a row and yet they still turn profits and continue to because most people don't care and they'll buy whatever they offer
    EA are only really remaining relevant in the gaming world with there sport sims because 15 year olds just want the new fifa and dont really care about micro-transaction and gladly pay for a new ultimate team pack to try get their favorite players. And they have the official image rights which is very difficult to get, so as long as they have those valuable rights they can get away with acting like the empire in star wars.