Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Godsk View Post
    Are you sure?
    Because the second picture looks like "Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Language\Language options" rather than "Control Panel\Clock, Language, and Region\Language"
    Oh, I get what useless shit you're trying to ask: If there's a second language installed.
    Protip: No, there isn't.

Interestingly, reinstalling the English (US) language pack fixed the issue. (After deleting the US layout again anyway.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Oh, I get what useless shit you're trying to ask: If there's a second language installed.
    Protip: No, there isn't.
    Thank you for being so kind, I was only trying to help.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I'm definitely going to invest in one of these when they are available - http://leapmotion.com/
    Damn. Do you notice the input lag of this thing? I can see it on the video, without even using it. Good luck playing any competitive game with this. Especially 4+ hours long WoW raid or arena session.

Also, have you ever played any serious game with touch pad? Well, this is worse, as you don't even see exactly what you're pointing at with your finger.

Yeah, so the fix I had only worked temporarily. It comes back after some time. -.-

Welp. This just solidified my love for Windows 8.

I finished about 12 books of Excel calcs for my assignment. Got to Uni only to realize I had left my god damn phone at home (I use my phone as a USB mass storage device).

I go to a school computer, log into my Hotmail and was ready write an email for an extension for my assignment to my professor. I notice on the side there is a (1) near the documents. This is a personal account which literally has no spam/outside connections. It's locked down, so I get maybe a 1 or 2 emails a day MAX.

Open it up, my Excel docs are there. Holy shit. Turns out because of the Office + Skydrive integration in Windows 8, In my haste, the Excel docs were being automatically backed up to the cloud.

Thank you Cloud, but thank you Microsoft. I would have lost at least 15% for a late assignment.
    Last edited by Xevan; 2012-08-31 at 05:37 AM.
    I remember it all too well

10+ Year Old Account
    Flop? No, they took a new approach. It has some good features but Metro UI = ftl. That said as far as I am aware you can disable it with either W. settings or 3rd party software.

Waiting for W9.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Welp. This just solidified my love for Windows 8.

I finished about 12 books of Excel calcs for my assignment. Got to Uni only to realize I had left my god damn phone at home (I use my phone as a USB mass storage device).

I go to a school computer, log into my Hotmail and was ready write an email for an extension for my assignment to my professor. I notice on the side there is a (1) near the documents. This is a personal account which literally has no spam/outside connections. It's locked down, so I get maybe a 1 or 2 emails a day MAX.

Open it up, my Excel docs are there. Holy shit. Turns out because of the Office + Skydrive integration in Windows 8, In my haste, the Excel docs were being automatically backed up to the cloud.

Thank you Cloud, but thank you Microsoft. I would have lost at least 15% for a late assignment.
    Lucky you! :P
    Last edited by Mister K; 2012-08-31 at 03:46 PM.
    -K

That's new. I've yet to see it in my W8 installs at all. But if you've been keeping an eye open on the discussion: Manuals and guides that have to teach you what should be obvious is ridiculous. It's also a bad way of introducing anything at all; it's a really stilted video.

It's good that MS did try for a solution, but why not just a goddamn button? What stops MS from doing the simple approach to things? Why pull awkward and roundabout solutions out of their ass?
    I'm going to agree to disagree here because I don't find it a roundabout method in anyway. I don't use the start button, so I've got n0o sympathy or understaning of what its loss does to you.

Open MSN in the Messaging app. Open a conversation with someone you know will respond. Now go to desktop and wait. There are no kinds of notifications for when you receive messages in the Messaging apps, unless you've positioned it to split with your desktop, so you see it on screen at all times.

The split works well I guess within Metro, but mix in the Desktop and it becomes a really awkward solution that appears quite bloated. Nevermind that quite a few apps are clearly unsuited for being split in the first place. (Photos for example.)
    I don't use MSN but I've gotten plenty of toast notifications for hotmail and gmail on my desktop. This guide tell you how to disable oast notifications, should help to enable them too just incase: http://www.howtogeek.com/108282/how-...-in-windows-8/

And a context menu is relevant how? None of the apps I've seen still offer an exit button for example. I don't even use exit buttons for anything but this: Hover over to see a keyboard shortcut, in case I don't know it and the label doesn't include it next to it. And heck, the context menus are bullshit to begin with; it brings up the menu on the bottom. Really guys? I'd understand if it would bring up what was essentially the taskbar at the same time, but this is silly.

I don't care how the new run-time does things. New paradigm and all is cute, but that's no reason to make killing apps yourself so awkward.
    Because Windows 8 has a new application suspension model, like smartphones. There is rarely, if ever as exit button on applications in iOS or Android, because those operating systems have been built to manage memory, CPU and applications in a method that is invisible to the user. You don't need to close applications, just like you don't have to on iOS or Android. This is what I mean. Closing apps in the Metro environment is literally not needed.
    I remember it all too well

Every other iteration of windows is a flop from 98 on. 98 good ME bad XP good vista bad 7 good 8 bad. They've become too big to realize what customers really want. We want an OS that works, has simple intuitive controls that work every time, that offers advanced users to do what they do without pulling teeth, and that lets us customize where things are and how they look. Oh. I just described every operating system other than windows.
    Quite often, the difference between an idiot and a genius is simply a matter of success rate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    Every other iteration of windows is a flop from 98 on. 98 good ME bad XP good vista bad 7 good 8 bad.
    Sure, if we ignore that XP's release and patching process was far worse than Vista's ever was.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2012-09-02 at 02:50 AM.

Windows 8 won't be a flop.

For gamers, here's some facts:

With BETA drivers and a pre-releast/RTM version of an OS, it is performing on par or better in some tests, than Windows 7 after years of patches to fix mistakes as well as nVidia/ATI years to release patches/updates to their drivers for the most optimal performance.

Just wait until 6 months into the OS cycle, you'll feel obligated to switch to Windows 8 for that increase in performance in a raiding environment. I switched today and can definitely tell a difference and I have a fairly high end rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaving View Post
    Windows 8 won't be a flop.

For gamers, here's some facts:

With BETA drivers and a pre-releast/RTM version of an OS, it is performing on par or better in some tests, than Windows 7 after years of patches to fix mistakes as well as nVidia/ATI years to release patches/updates to their drivers for the most optimal performance.

Just wait until 6 months into the OS cycle, you'll feel obligated to switch to Windows 8 for that increase in performance in a raiding environment. I switched today and can definitely tell a difference and I have a fairly high end rig.
    Switch to an obnoxious OS for an extra 5 FPS at the most ...NOPE.

If my 2600k and GTX580 cant manage 60+ FPS in a 25 man raid then it's time to look at the poor programming of wow's DX11 rendering system. The DX11 renderer is utter horse crap and is the reason wow is so horrible on resources and NO new os is ever going to fix that, especially as one as Obnoxious as Win 8.

Currently I get 80+ FPS in a 25 man raid at ultra settings and 8x AA .. so no I will not be switching till MS drops this crap they call metro and learns to leave the damn UI alone. If they choose to continue this metro nonsense in Win9 then I will move to Linux and wine or *shudder* move to a mac. (Cant believe I just wrote that)
    Last edited by Addiena; 2012-09-02 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgemesh View Post
    Every other iteration of windows is a flop from 98 on. 98 good ME bad XP good vista bad 7 good 8 bad.
    98 shit
    98 SE good
    ME shit
    2k good after SP3
    XP shit until SP2
    Vista good after SP1
    win7 good

Myth busted.

Quote Originally Posted by Addiena View Post
    If my 2600k and GTX580 cant manage 60+ FPS in a 25 man raid then it's time to look at the poor programming of wow's DX11 rendering system. The DX11 renderer is utter horse crap and is the reason wow is so horrible on resources
    People still don't understand the simple fact that games run slower when there's more players visible on screen? That is why MMOs are slower than your braindead first person shooters, and it happens everywhere... Rift, SWToR and GW2 included.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-09-02 at 07:27 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    Because Windows 8 has a new application suspension model, like smartphones. There is rarely, if ever as exit button on applications in iOS or Android, because those operating systems have been built to manage memory, CPU and applications in a method that is invisible to the user. You don't need to close applications, just like you don't have to on iOS or Android. This is what I mean. Closing apps in the Metro environment is literally not needed.
    I don't think you get it: It's not about whether there's a "need" to or not.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-09-02 at 07:48 AM.

I don't think you get it: It's not about whether there's a "need" to or not.
    It takes few days max to teach yourself to not worry about apps in metro left open, after that the problem you're having goes away. It's not hard at all for anybody who's gotten used to iOS/Android smartphone over the last few years.

Windowed applications will still have the close button in the corner, metro apps do not. Problem is that there are both old and new style programs running in Win8 for a long time which can be confusing, but it's not a dealbreaker. At least not for me.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    98 shit
    98 SE good
    ME shit
    2k good after SP3
    XP shit until SP2
    Vista good after SP1
    win7 good

Myth busted.

People still don't understand the simple fact that games run slower when there's more players visible on screen? That is why MMOs are slower than your braindead first person shooters, and it happens everywhere... Rift, SWToR and GW2 included.
    I currently get 80+ FPS in 25 man madness and spine (tho spine can get pretty heavy if a lot of bloods are up). To be precise . .wow's DX11 rendering system is a load of crap and relies upon you having both a high end card and CPU for it to even function at half the performance of what GW2 is capable of.

The whole resource system wow uses needs a complete overhaul to correct this problem as it stems from the age of the game and the poor resource coding used originally.

But a new OS will not fix this issue at all so people stating that moving to win 8 will improve wow's performance dramatically are spreading miss information.

PS - Vista was never good . .no amount of patching ever fixed it's issues or made it better than the pile of poo it was.
    Last edited by Addiena; 2012-09-02 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Addiena View Post
    PS - Vista was never good . .no amount of patching ever fixed it's issues or made it better than the pile of poo it was.
    Vista with SP1 is exactly as fast as Win7, it just has slightly different look in desktop without Aero. Most people just don't realize this because they're mentally stuck in 2007 and the negative reviews (not personal experience) of it's launch.

Not gonna even touch the rest of your drivel because GW2 runs as slow in solo play as WoW does in raids. And it's offtopic.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-09-02 at 01:05 PM.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    I must admit I'm having a hard time deciding if i should upgrade or not. On 1 hand I really dislike the Metro look (but could probably get used to i guess) on the other it seems it does do things as well as Win7 and in some cases even better.

So I guess it comes down to the fact whatever I can live with Metro or not, still undecided.

Does 8 have an option to make it less annoying looking and more like 7?
    Last edited by TheShinyOne; 2012-09-02 at 01:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

Quote Originally Posted by TheShinyOne View Post
    Does 8 have an option to make it less annoying looking and more like 7?
    Yup, its called Windows 7.
    W8 is built on W7. If you don't like the fluff, don't use W8.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

Gotta admit that I was skeptical and a bit angry with W8, but I've got the Pro version through my university and I've been using it the whole day now and I'm liking it. It's not that much different really.
    The only thing I really think it's lacking is a good intro tutorial after the installation to teach how to reach the simple stuff like shut down, Computer, change some settings, that kind of stuff. I got through that alright, but my mom who was trying it as well, didn't do so well.