Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    I don't know a darn thing about it, but Windows 7 just came out and I like it just fine. This is exactly what I felt like when Vista came out...there was nothing wrong with XP. At the end of the day I just want something that looks and works good, and Windows 7 does just that. If they didn't come out with another OS for another 15 years, I'd be just fine with that.
    i know right? i had windows XP for a few years then vista came out with tons of hype that died down to dismay when they had issues after release so i stayed with xp till 7 came and wont go for this super hyped up "omg my windows 8 looks like a mobile phone screen" thing going on.

Deleted
    From a PC user standpoint, it really sucks.

That said, it is super sleek and very fast and it will probably do well on all the other devices it was clearly designed for.

PC users, while wide-spread, aren't a growing market.

I tried the Win 8 RP and I liked it til the part where non of my drivers for keyboard,mice,heatset etc were working.

Deleted
    I really like the Metro interface thingy.

I always thought Desktops were a bit naff, the Metro interface looks much cleaner and nicer overall, to me at least. The Desktop is always there to switch to if you really don't like it, but I can't understand the distain for it. Whilst I do understand that opinion is opinion and thats fair enough, you got the option to change, and if Win 8 runs better than 7 (i'm gonna wait for the official release before I say "Hey, it runs games smoother") then I don't see a realistic argument against it.

Maybe I'm just weird, who knows.

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 03:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LeVvE View Post
    I tried the Win 8 RP and I liked it til the part where non of my drivers for keyboard,mice,heatset etc were working.
    "Beta is beta folks" - TotalBiscuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    "Beta is beta folks" - TotalBiscuit.
    RP - Release Preview - the "beta" stages have long gone, being the Developer Preview and the Consumer Preview.
    Release Preview is meant to be pretty representative of what will be released.
    Overused expression often used to excuse something which was simply not done right.

It's the way of the future, and Microsoft is the first to jump on it.

Once every OS is like this and games are being developed with touch gestures in mind, everybody here will be extremely happy Microsoft came out with it first.

I love how everyone has just accepted this thing that Windows has been pushing where OS = UI. This Metro rubbish is a UI, the supposed performance increases relate to the OS. But of course it's Windows so you can't separate the two.

I'm still using XP. I would've jumped ship over a decade ago if there was another ship to jump to. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I don't see why this matters. I still don't like metro.
    It matters because right after the computer boots you click that and never have to see/use metro again. Metro is a way to have Start->Program Files without seeing the extra useless things that are thrown into the Program Files directories of your software. Let's face it, when you goto Start->Program Files->ANYTHING, do you REALLY care about the Help app, Uninstall app (I don't know ANYONE who actually uninstalls from the start menu folders), etc? Metro is nothing more than a fancy area for shortcuts.

Do I use Metro? Typically no, I still use my shortcuts on my taskmenu, but outside of the 4 "primary" things I use, all I gotta do it hit the Win key and there they are.

Do I think the "purpose" of Metro is stupid? Yea, touch-screens aren't even "mainstream" let alone common-place, so at the end of the day I think it's one of those things that (for a desktop OS) is "before it's time".

Also, Windows 8 is a performance gain in almost every usage environment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant89 View Post
    So whats everyone's opinion of Windows 8? Specifically the Metro UI on a desktop/laptop computer.

I understand tablets and other mobile technology is the future of computers, be it iOS, Android, or Windows Mobile. However when I come home and log in to my desktop or gaming laptop I do now want a tablet OS. I tried the Win 8 Developer preview and after a few hours reverted the computer back to Vista. A week ago I installed the Consumer Preview on my desktop thinking maybe Metro was something that could "grow on you", I was dead wrong I am currently re-installing Windows 7!

Having been a Windows user my entire life I cant believe I am saying this but I think its time to jump ship to a Mac!
    If I wanted a Windows phone I would have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Quote Originally Posted by LeVvE View Post
    You must use some extremely obscure keyboard, mouse, headset, "etc" hardware then. I have yet (since vista) to EVER plug in a piece of hardware that the OS didn't detect on it's own outside of the "specialty" software that's almost always needed to get printers/scanners to work. Windows 8 is actually the first OS to pickup on my printer (Canon Pixma) without me needing to install ANYTHING extra at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    However it must also not present the user with information overload.
    (And this is possible to do with Metro if you slap enough live tiles on there)

A lot of programmers fail to understand this aspect of interface design, and human cognition.
    A lot of programmers especially fail to work with colors, shapes, and positioning correctly, and fail to understand their complete meaning both for discoverability and usability.
    Programmers have nothing to do with visual interface design. That job is done by artists. Programmers just make the art function as an interface. So stop trying to blame it on programmers. =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladed View Post
    Always afraid to post on MMO-Champ. Get infracted for the tiniest little things.
    I don't know how you do that , I posted a lot of "hard to digest" stuff and I only gone one infraction because the mod misread what I said (he thought I was accusing someone when I was actually defending it) .

Ontopic: probably it will happen as it has happened in the past WinXP > Win7 (skipped vista)>Win9(will prob skip Win8) .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Programmers have nothing to do with visual interface design. That job is done by artists.
    "Design" in this case should be read in its proper form, which includes layout, and structuring of interface elements. Not just fluff and prettification.

Artists won't necessarily work with the design (as in layout) of the software, just individual assets - like icons. This is of course dependent on what the software is. In a game, you'll probably have an art team design an 'interface' with the software then needing to bring it alive.

But for a lot of other software, art assets can be one of the last things you bring in.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2012-07-23 at 05:05 AM.

Its faster, that's good enough for me to get it. Most areas its not much faster, but that boot time is awesome... I remember a friend of mine early last year with a developer version and it started up in a few seconds while his new notebook was still booting up 25 seconds later.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/07/1...-vs-windows-7/

i been using win 8 for few month now and it's alot faster than win 7 and i love whole metro interface.No need to stash everything on my desktop and it looks clean and nice :v
    Last edited by Stormgnoef; 2012-07-23 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    Basically, no.

Microsoft are even removing code/stopping people from installing third-party stuff to re-enable the start menu.
    That will last about 6 hours before it's cracked. Maybe not even that long, iirc all the other major flaws were fixed by users within a couple hours on every previous version.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    Its faster, that's good enough for me to get it. Most areas its not much faster, but that boot time is awesome... I remember a friend of mine early last year with a developer version and it started up in a few seconds while his new notebook was still booting up 25 seconds later.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/07/1...-vs-windows-7/
    So it boots up & shuts down faster, Yet it is slower with file movement which is a pretty big portion of my computers use. I don't restart often enough to care about starting up slightly faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

I'm going to avoid Windows 8 because, from the sounds of it, they are trying to force Linux out of the market with bootloader crap...

Not sure how they will do windows 7->8 upgrades if they keep the requirement for the new MS-only boot loader.. since most windows 7 computers don't have the hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Requital View Post
    So it boots up & shuts down faster, Yet it is slower with file movement which is a pretty big portion of my computers use. I don't restart often enough to care about starting up slightly faster.
    (I haven't read the linked article yet)
    Is it? Is it really? Nothing I've seen before supports that; only that file movement has become better.
    Not to mention you can actually finally pause it, making this a necessity for at least me. :P

I'm going to use Windows 7 as long as it's supported by graphics manufacturers such as Nvidia etc. Windows 7 & 8 is essentially the same, apart from that Windows 8 have that extra start screen.