Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Well considering the upgrade will be so cheap a lot of people will get it despite being maybe not that convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by theKarn View Post

Forget it exists.
    I don't see why this matters. I still don't like metro.

Quote Originally Posted by theKarn View Post
    http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/9387/windows8releasepreviews.png

Forget it exists.
    Seriously. It's like opening up and maximizing control panel and acting like that's all of Windows 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant89 View Post
    So whats everyone's opinion of Windows 8? Specifically the Metro UI on a desktop/laptop computer.
    Did you miss the point of this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I don't see why this matters. I still don't like metro.
    So if windows 9 comes out and you don't like the login/startup screen you are going to dislike the entire operating system despite all the new capabilities and efficiency / performance enhancements.

That's just silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traknel View Post
    Yes it is. In fact, the next expansion is going to be called "Mists of Metzen" and is just going to be various mobs with his face stuck on them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant89 View Post
    Having been a Windows user my entire life I cant believe I am saying this but I think its time to jump ship to a Mac!
    Yeah, because Mac is a good choice for gaming... Oh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibar View Post
    So if windows 9 comes out and you don't like the login/startup screen you are going to dislike the entire operating system despite all the new capabilities and efficiency / performance enhancements.

That's just silly.
    Strawmen. So beautiful.

Try harder, please. Your logical fallacies are only entertaining for as long as I have patience. And I don't have much patience.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-22 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fejcbcZjx7o

If this can be done then for the amount of hate metro has it shouldn't take more than a month for there to be registry edits restore the interface to its former glory.

10+ Year Old Account

That's just silly.
    No...but if the entire ui is replaced, is more restrictive, too much trouble to use then i would dislike it :S

eww eww eww it's like being stuck in Media Center the entire time.

I'm 99% sure it's an option, you're not stuck with that junk. I agree with everyone else though -- everytime they redo the OS it's like an experiment that they decide to actually perfect in the very next one. Windows 9 should be good but we'll have to see

That's just silly.
    It's okay. He's like I was before I actually tried metro for little while. I didn't like it at all at first either. I even went to great lengths to hide it while testing the developer and consumer previews. He will come around... eventually.

APPs are great. Hot corners are still a little funky but like I said you get use to it and begin to love it. Shutdown and reboot need to be in a more obvious location though.

Deleted
    Nothing stops you from switching to desktop mode. You don't have to use metro if you don't want to.

Deleted
    Metro will be fine when we all have touch screens til then make mine 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthos View Post
    Metro will be fine when we all have touch screens til then make mine 7.
    When they can make touchscreens and hand movements viable for any serious gaming, sure.

Ya, except the desktop mode doesn't even have a start menu. So you have to go into Metro at some point.

Deleted
    Say what you will, but Microsoft is doing the right choices with Windows 8:
    • They are focusing on a UI that is easy to grasp and use for novice users. Anyone can pick up Metro and use the basics functions; chatting, e-mail and browsing is as fluent as ever.
    • The focus on a tablet market is the right choice. People don't want PCs anymore, they want laptops and tablets with easy to use and grasp touch-screens. It helps greatly that they are releasing their own tablet to go with it.
    • They are effectively reducing the price, making it a worthwhile pick over Android on tablets and even phones (as in Windows Phone 8). The upgrade package is also a very smart move.

Even if the more experienced and hard-to-please enthusiast crowd will be displeased, I think Windows 8 with the Metro UI is a huge step in the right direction for Microsoft. They will open up the OS for inexperienced users and make everything more streamlined.

This is at least my impression after playing with the Release Preview for a few weeks.

Deleted
    It's going to be awesome. If what they say is true about games performing 20% faster then Im sold. Im not the biggest fan of metro but im sure people will get used to it and you can always just go to the desktop screen anyway, the cheap upgrade price is also very appealing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    They will open up the OS for inexperienced users and make everything more streamlined.

This is at least my impression after playing with the Release Preview for a few weeks.
    I seriously don't know how anyone could be inexperienced in 2012.

Unless you are an immigrant from the congo or something.

But even then I learned about computers pretty quickly.

The hardest part was probably learning how to type efficiently.

10+ Year Old Account
    why how much would it cost to upgrade?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    why how much would it cost to upgrade?
    $15 usd to go from win7 to win8