Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by belgicanofl View Post
    1) W8 runs 22% faster in all tasks vs W7 (as a gamer, that's already a must have simply for that one reason).
    Source please, because that sounds like a pile of bull.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Source please, because that sounds like a pile of bull.
    Yeah, pretty sure windows 7 isn't a 20% bottleneck.

TLDR: Windows 8 isn't just Metro. Don't like Metro, don't use it. There is regular part like 'Windows 7' in the 8th version as well.

I like how everyone think of Windows 8 just as Metro UI. This isn't Windows 8, this is not even the half of it. Think of it just as an interface, specific design trend and a development platform for App Store like applications, nothing else.

On the other hand, regular Windows is still part of Windows 8. It's like your Windows is split in two, if you don't like the Metro part, well don't use it. Just use the regular looking desktop part that is pretty much the same as Windows 7 the way we know it.

None of you seem to consider that the regular part of Windows 8 might be considerably better than Windows 7, just like 7 was better than Vista by far. I personally prefer 8, but that's for development reasons.

P.S.: And yes, performance gains for new age machines are probably there. After all this is a completely new product, I'm sure many things that couldn't be fixed with a service pack were implemented here.
    Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

Kinda of topic but here it goes :

So a couple of days ago I tryed out W8.

I instaled the drivers and stuff, metro sucked in the begining but at the end I was getting used to it ( and besides being so damn ugly) I was getting used to it.

So I decided to install the up to date video drivers so I could play my games. After the moment I got the complete install info pc frozed up. W8 got a crittical error and died , and I had to re-install windows ( 7 now lol).

This means nothing since W8 is in beta but I would advice you to read a bit before updating your drivers :P

(sorry for Bad grammar / typos)

As others have said it runs faster than previous versions which is a nice bonus, been using the various testing versions for several months.

As for the metro UI, I'd like to see how it works with Kinect for PC, might make me consider investing in it if the two play nice together, I'm already sold on Windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    $15 usd to go from win7 to win8
    Additionally, $39.99 for Pro.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
    TLDR: Windows 8 isn't just Metro. Don't like Metro, don't use it. There is regular part like 'Windows 7' in the 8th version as well.

I like how everyone think of Windows 8 just as Metro UI. This isn't Windows 8, this is not even the half of it. Think of it just as an interface, specific design trend and a development platform for App Store like applications, nothing else.

On the other hand, regular Windows is still part of Windows 8. It's like your Windows is split in two, if you don't like the Metro part, well don't use it. Just use the regular looking desktop part that is pretty much the same as Windows 7 the way we know it.

None of you seem to consider that the regular part of Windows 8 might be considerably better than Windows 7, just like 7 was better than Vista by far. I personally prefer 8, but that's for development reasons.
    But everything was better than vista by far.

And mind giving some examples (with sources) about all these better parts?

And please don't be generic "fast loading!" Because loading for anything is already more or less instant for me.

With the exception of opening photoshop which still takes forever for some reason and turning on my computer which I rarely do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vista 2.0, poor decision by Microfail.
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

I'm sorry, I really don't have the time to argue over someone living in the dream of how Vista is better or of equal performance, stability, security and everything wise compared to Windows 7. You seem like a smart kid, research yourself.
    Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, I really don't have the time to argue over someone living in the dream of how Vista is better or of equal performance, stability, security and everything wise compared to Windows 7. You seem like a smart kid, research yourself.
    Are you talking to me?

Because I never said anything about vista being good.

I hate that monstrosity as much as anyone.

You clearly have the time to throw some bullshit into the mix... Windows Vista and 7 have performed virtually identically for a while now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I seriously don't know how anyone could be inexperienced in 2012.

Unless you are an immigrant from the congo or something.

But even then I learned about computers pretty quickly.

The hardest part was probably learning how to type efficiently.
    That's just ignorant. In my vicinity I got plenty of inexperienced users. Or perhaps "inexperienced" is the wrong term...

Anyway, I have more than a handful of people around me who praise iOS for it's simplicity and ease of use. Who absolutely adore touch-screens and how easy it is to gesture and swipe across a screen in contrary to using a mouse and keyboard. The general consumer audience wants an OS that is to the point, easy to use and were everything is instantly at your disposal without navigating through menus and text. The Metro UI attempts to fulfill that requirement.

It will not flop. It will most likely do the opposite. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the most successful OS in a while from Microsoft, exceeding Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why did everyone hate vista? i can't really tell the difference between the two :S

but then again this is my ui... >.<

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2093yag.jpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    That's just ignorant. In my vicinity I got plenty of inexperienced users. Or perhaps "inexperienced" is the wrong term...

Anyway, I have more than a handful of people around me who praise iOS for it's simplicity and ease of use. Who absolutely adore touch-screens and how easy it is to gesture and swipe across a screen in contrary to using a mouse and keyboard. The general consumer audience wants an OS that is to the point, easy to use and were everything is instantly at your disposal without navigating through menus and text.
    But for those people what do they actually use a computer for.

As far as I know ( I might be wrong) you can't actually do much of anything with a computer without a proper keyboard/mouse.

Unless you have some voice recognition software its pretty hard to type more than a couple lines on a touch screen. So writing up a report to your boss or a school paper is probably out of the question.

Games beyond dragging your finger across the screen to load a slingshot aren't really possible with a touch screen.

Doing image/movie/audio/animation/etc work would be near impossible without a proper set of hotkeys/mouse. But in fairness I would suppose people who are professionals aren't the people that are being targeted by this change.

But to have everything at your disposal at once without menus or categorization would be extremely messy and probably overwhelming for people who aren't very good with computers.

For the people around you that praise simplicity what do they use computers for?

Reading the news and just dragging their finger downward on a screen versus using a mouse wheel to scroll?

Doing their finances?

Sending an email to their mom for her birthday?

Im not trying to be rude or anything, im just genuinely curious and to be fair I don't speak to all that many new people and the people that I do know are all at the very least semi computer literate so yeah, I am pretty ignorant.

I will buy windows 8 if the rumors are true that they will be bridging the gap between pc and xbl gamers so they can play against/with each other.

source: http://www.winrumors.com/xbox-live-w...nd-xbox-video/
    or you can just google it yourself if you don't wanna go into any links.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Why did everyone hate vista? i can't really tell the difference between the two :S

but then again this is my ui... >.<

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2093yag.jpg
    It was very buggy on release and a 'performance hog' so people and their 1GB of RAM cried a lot, aka the general user.

It's not half as bad as people made out; the main issue was just a poor implementation, lack of drivers etc.. I'm certain a fully packed/updated Vista works fine. The bad reputation has just stuck.
    Last edited by mmocffca35fda3; 2012-07-22 at 11:06 PM.

I'd use it if it were a lot faster than Windows 7 for my regular usage or if MS and 3rd party developers stop supporting 7. I don't feel the need to switch at the moment.

I've yet to see anything grab my attention and I don't really need anything to load faster than it already does, windows 7 on a good SSD makes everything near instant.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

You can just disable the metro thing and go back to a regular desktop permanently cant you? It is literally just windows 7 that runs faster, with no drawbacks apart from having to disable a UI feature that you don't like. If you use windows 7 there is no reason not to get it (except the cost obviously, if you really don't care about a small performance increase then it might not be worth the cash for you). And the UI makes sense when you realize they are going to be using it across platforms too. Honestly don't know why people are complaining so much.

Quote Originally Posted by sillabear View Post
    You can just disable the metro thing and go back to a regular desktop permanently cant you? It is literally just windows 7 that runs faster, with no drawbacks apart from having to disable a UI feature that you don't like. If you use windows 7 there is no reason not to get it (except the cost obviously, if you really don't care about a small performance increase then it might not be worth the cash for you). And the UI makes sense when you realize they are going to be using it across platforms too. Honestly don't know why people are complaining so much.
    Basically, no.

Microsoft are even removing code/stopping people from installing third-party stuff to re-enable the start menu.