Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    No, you just aren't good enough.

Good luck finding skill based RPG game. From my experience all of them have really low skill cap. Diablo series are one of the easiest RPG. All you need is item.

10+ Year Old Account
    To the OP have you looked into TERA? The bams can be quite difficult if you don't know their tells and your class.

What is skill ?

A. Developing or learning the knowledge required to beat said task (puzzles, repetition or dexterity)
    B. Gaining skill by grinding over and over again till it becomes trivialized ? (almost every gear or level based rpg)
    C. Being thrown into situations with only 1 chance (Think traps, obstacles)

Is skill based on games like Tekkan ? FPS ? Adventure maps (banjo kazooie, spyro, crash bandicoot ? )
    Racing games to me are the most skilled based games,

A racing game with random generated maps, obstacles, offensive and defensive power ups, dynamic events, (construction demolition, earthquakes, ect)

So learning to drive your car is the only advantage one would have, being quick minded and making daring decisions, deciding ahead of time which path to take, how to avoid delays.

But eh, people wishing skills from a MMORPG are going to be disappointed
    1. Massive multi player online (sounds like social meetings and communication and teamwork)
    2. RPG (role playing game) Can't beat something ? go back and grind gear or keep on practising or trying something different

Time + research + teamwork + communication + having some form of awareness + being able to press keys without looking down at your keyboard = beating most mmo's =D

Deleted
    I don't know if this thread was solely about MMO's, but with some older FPS games there is a lot more skill involved over gear. The original CoD (on pc) as well as CoD2 both require no gear, just get your gun and have enough skill to be able to kill. Sure, as someone says, reflexes are a lot about the game (as in most FPS) but leaning round corners, knowing where to aim, knowing the maps stupidly well, all require you have some form of skill. Plus the fact the only stats recorded are kills and deaths and no kill streaks etc (kinda like CS:source which i suck at). I think if an MMO had no gear upgrades, the satisfaction of getting to end game etc wouldn't be as good as well, you'd have been doing the same thing over and over with no difficulty change in which you needed the gear to progress. So i guess what i'm saying, gear upgrades are required in an MMO in order to push the skill you have with abilities etc to do the best you can.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Good luck finding skill based RPG game. From my experience all of them have really low skill cap. Diablo series are one of the easiest RPG. All you need is item.
    Aye - The main theme behind RPGS have always been "Let's tell a story" and not "Let's drive people insane with stupid things".

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Aye - The main theme behind RPGS have always been "Let's tell a story" and not "Let's drive people insane with stupid things".
    Yeah, and also MMORPGs put more emphasis on skill of making proper build, proper gear choices, stats. You can't expect RPGs to test your Arcade or other game genre skills, when it happens it means developers are doing things wrong or misinformed players about the genre of the game.

I'm kind of baffled by the OP. So he wants an MMORPG that is purely 'skill' based (el oh el) where he doesn't have to work to get stuff done? Wouldn't that just mean an action game, a shooter, a fighting game, a racing game, etc etc? If you take the role playing, adventuring and gearing out of an RPG, you don't have much RP left, more just a G.

TLDR; most games still require skill of some sort and always will. Look for your answers elsewhere.

Furthermore, even when highly geared, Diablo 3 STILL requires you to know what you're doing and often you have to be skillful about doing it. And no, Diablo 2 was not more skill based. Don't even attempt to make that argument.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-07-23 at 11:29 AM.

Play dota 1/2 instead of LoL. Seriously, playing LoL and complaining about low skillcap just seems obscene to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Play dota 1/2 instead of LoL. Seriously, playing LoL and complaining about low skillcap just seems obscene to me.
    Are you talking about the skill cap even pros playing 10 hours a day can't reach ? Skillcap and learning curve are two different things. Your post would make sense if OP was coplaining about lack of learning cliff in games.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most fighting games are 100% skill based.

Deleted
    Play Stacraft: Brood War, that game....arguably the hardest competitive multiplayer game to get into and to be successful with. In fact, there was almost no foreign scene compared to today, Brood War was almost entirely played competitively by korean pros.

Brood War pros are treated like celebrities in Korea. Look up BoxeR or Flash.

I can't think of any other game that has an apex of skill higher than Brood War.

Although other games that can count:
    - Starcraft 2
    - Quake 3/Live
    - CS 1.6 for team play
    - Wolf:ET Pro mod
    - LoL, HoN, DOTA for team play
    - Pokemon Competitive Battles

What you will find OP is that games will generally get easier and simpler, casual players are a goldmine to publishers. If they can appeal to them then they make a shit load of money, just look at Call of Duty.

I beg your pardon?

10+ Year Old Account
    No I don't think skill will ever completely disappear from games. Shit may change for a whole genre or just a franchise but that doesn't mean that overall that skill will entirely disappear.

There are games that still exist that have steep learning curves and high skill caps that I find to be very enjoyable. My favorites would have to be DDR and PIU. Those games have insanely steep learning curves and on top of that the skill cap is also insanely steep. Not only that but you need to actually work on stamina and be in good shape to play competitively(I know... something horrible for gamers to think about). Due to being in an arcade a lot I have also taken it up on myself to get good at street fighter and can play that game at a competitive level. Also find shmups and platforming games to be stimulating and going for a high score that no one can seem to match is satisfying as all hell.

The thing about me is I find PVP behind a computer screen playing against someone you will most likely never meet to be boring. I like to get out there and actually see who I am playing, be able to shake their hand after a good match. People tend to be far more dignified when they actually see who they are facing. They don't want to make a complete ass out of themselves in front of a community of people that might ostracize them. To many times when your online do you get rude and stupid players due to anonymity.

Anyways, I do actually agree that to many games are going the rpg route. I sincerely believe that games trying to base themselves around being about skill should have little to do with getting levels and perks that give unfair advantages. Whatever happened to the FPS models from Perfect Dark(N64) and COD II, where it was completely up to the player's skill to win!

Well the concept is getting phased out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kejinx View Post
    Play Stacraft: Brood War, that game....arguably the hardest competitive multiplayer game to get into and to be successful with. In fact, there was almost no foreign scene compared to today, Brood War was almost entirely played competitively by korean pros.

Brood War pros are treated like celebrities in Korea. Look up BoxeR or Flash.

I can't think of any other game that has an apex of skill higher than Brood War.

Although other games that can count:
    - Starcraft 2
    - Quake 3/Live
    - CS 1.6 for team play
    - Wolf:ET Pro mod
    - LoL, HoN, DOTA for team play
    - Pokemon Competitive Battles

What you will find OP is that games will generally get easier and simpler, casual players are a goldmine to publishers. If they can appeal to them then they make a shit load of money, just look at Call of Duty.
    That's a good list, and I could only add one game to the list: Unreal Tournament. Although that game's learning curve was so high, that nowadays you can only see some random cups on clanbase what you can never win and random DM-servers with all weapons on spawn turned on so it is "more fun for all".

Imho good skilled game requires: tactical thinking, timing, reflex management and endurance. Only Quake, UT and SC:BW is left on those to really require all that skill. Other games also do require plenty of skill, but usually lacks on one of the scenarios above - what in turn makes them more popular, since it's easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many games are unfortunately making this transformation, I've been talking on and off for the past few days about this exact subject with my gaming buddies.

Obligatory: If your favourite classic games were made today gif:

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Most fighting games are 100% skill based.
    Hardly - Ever played Tekken 3 with Eddie? You could roll your face all over the controler and still beat the pro-player using whatever character.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann