Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Female Roles within a Guild

I've been around quite a few guilds in my WoW days where there are plenty of female players who are in the guild. I've noticed that the female players in most guilds tend to gravitate towards the secretarial aspects of running a guild rather than the leadership aspects. What I mean by "secretarial" is things like tidying the guild bank, creating rosters, organizing guild websites, informing members of guild events, etc. Whereas the male members of the guild tend to gravitate toward the leadership roles (within the officer organization) IE: Raid leading, Class make up decisions in raids, decisions involving who to promote within the guild, making judgement calls on guild organization and leadership etc.

Is the secretarial aspects just a natural thing that female players generally like? Have you seen similar trends in your guilds / servers?

the female's role within a guild is to get free loot from the hopeful forever alone guild leader or officer lol

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-07-28 at 04:17 AM.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    My first raiding build in BC was lead by a girl. She was a horrid leader, thinking that all her toons were entitled to gear over mains of other people.

In my main raiding guild after that there was a gf of our raid leader who was treated like a special trophy. She got all the stuff that dropped before most others, and was supposed to be treated like a goddess.

Since those 2 guilds, the females in my guilds since were pretty normal. They didn't do any secretary stuff. They just played the game. The warlock officer in my guild now just helps out with what she needs to, she doesn't act different than the guys in the guild.

Making the tea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I've been around quite a few guilds in my WoW days where there are plenty of female players who are in the guild. I've noticed that the female players in most guilds tend to gravitate towards the secretarial aspects of running a guild rather than the leadership aspects. What I mean by "secretarial" is things like tidying the guild bank, creating rosters, organizing guild websites, informing members of guild events, etc. Whereas the male members of the guild tend to gravitate toward the leadership roles (within the officer organization) IE: Raid leading, Class make up decisions in raids, decisions involving who to promote within the guild, making judgement calls on guild organization and leadership etc.

Is the secretarial aspects just a natural thing that female players generally like? Have you seen similar trends in your guilds / servers?
    Nothing more than sexist perceptions clouding your 'memories'.

That depends greatly on the guild and the people in it. One of my guild's raid leaders is a woman and I have met a lot of other great women in this game who perform a variety of roles.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    Nothing more than sexist perceptions clouding your 'memories'.
    Im not sure why you had to turn the discussion into a "sexist" complaint, when that is not the premise of the conversation at all. Nice try at attempting to derail the thread though.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm female and have been it all... The organizer, a part of the leadership and the actual guildmaster.

The organizer is the most basic part of my personality though. The leader comes after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never seen this. In fact, every guild I've ever been in on any of my characters was started by a female (although one of them retired in classic and from then on it was led by a guy). And of all the raid leaders I have had, of the top two best ones, one is a female.

Anyone can take their limited anecdotal experience and falsely extrapolate it to a generalisation. The key here being "falsely."

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    the female's role within a guild is to get free loot from the hopeful forever alone guild leader or officer lol
    Can't say I've ever encountered this personally, in all the guilds I've been in, and I've always been in guilds with pretty sizable female populations. Even my first, casual, Kharazan running guild had very, very fair loot distribution. You should probably leave a guild if they give gear to their raiders first because they're chicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Im not sure why you had to turn the discussion into a "sexist" complaint, when that is not the premise of the conversation at all. Nice try at attempting to derail the thread though.
    When a conversation starts out with a sexist post pointing out a perceived difference between men and women, don't be surprised when someone points out the sexism in the post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    I'm female and have been it all... The organizer, a part of the leadership and the actual guildmaster.

The organizer is the most basic part of my personality though. The leader comes after.
    Thats exactly what I am asking. It is no disrespect to any female players. I just wanted to know if it was a trend that females who play tend to like taking care of the more secretarial aspects of the guilds people have been a part of. Ive seen it a lot while playing, its just a natural tendency of the females ive played with.

i doubt you can attach certain roles to genders. If there were some sort of statistics on the matter, i believe you whould find female players just as variable as male players.. doing everything form dpsing to healing to tanking with a mix of classes and races while having various positions within guilds and performing their assignments/duties with a variety of success from horrible to excellent!
    There is nothing to genrealize by gender AT ALL! no matter what so many wish to believe...

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Talsong View Post
    When a conversation starts out with a sexist post pointing out a perceived difference between men and women, don't be surprised when someone points out the sexism in the post.
    That, plus obviously the female's role is to make the fish feast.

OH COME ON, YOU KNOW SOMEONE WAS GOING TO SAY IT!

I wish girl wow players that lead on desperate losers in guilds and get preferential treatment from white knights were tagged with a "free to rape" symbol in real life. They probably are too homely to bother, but if you want it - it's there.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2012-07-27 at 10:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Females make great Healers ! Had a female guild leader some years back - she was mute though, so didnt raid lead. Nothing went wrong under her lead (Well, except from the whole guild leaving, but nvm that), never met the "I am a girl, so i want it" female that ive heard so many stories about.
    AkA Companiet !
    #Wildstar2013

Deleted
    Really.
    Generalisations about people based on their gender is dangerous territory, just so you know.

The basic misconception of "secretarial jobs are for women" is why so many women get looked over in regards to promotions in the real world. Because we are meant to be obedient and let the men do the leading or some shit.

So yeah.
    I call bullshit on this post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    i doubt you can attach certain roles to genders. If there were some sort of statistics on the matter, i believe you whould find female players just as variable as male players.. doing everything form dpsing to healing to tanking with a mix of classes and races while having various positions within guilds and performing their assignments/duties with a variety of success from horrible to excellent!
    There is nothing to genrealize by gender AT ALL! no matter what so many wish to believe...
    While playing the game and playing their class in a dungeon environment is not what im talking about. Im well aware of great female players in all of that. Im just talking about the logistics aspects of running a guild. The secretarial aspects, like "cleaning house" and keeping the guild in proper running order.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ijanaak View Post
    I wish girl wow players that lead on desperate losers in guilds and get preferential treatment from white knights were tagged with a "free to rape" symbol in real life. They probably are too homely to bother, but if you want it - it's there.
    Fuck you.
    Your male priveledge is shinging like a beacon - you twat.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was about to post "you're wrong, your guild leader is a woman" but as I read what you wrote, there's a grain of truth in it. Our female guild leader does organize the bank and get on people's case that don't put stuff in correctly. She does the calendar. She has a group of officers, including another woman and three guys, who collectively decide what we should work on, if someone needs to be kicked, or what not. She got the vent server and does passwords and such for that. Our raid leader, the one who actually decides on strats and calls out stuff in raids, is a guy. We've had two different people in that role, and both were guys.

Let's take that out of WoW and into real life. My son is in kungfu. There's certain tasks all the instructors are suposed to partake in, like teaching classes, running tournaments, sending out notifications and schedules, making sure the paperwork is filed and all that. While it was everyone's responsibility, no one was doing it. Finally, one instructor stepped up, took over the office, started planning monthly parties (for birthdays and to get in new people), send out emails and such, and it was a woman, the only woman instructor there.

I do believe they have a more "this organizations needs to be done" mentality more then men, in general. Whereas men have a more focused "I want to do this task, that's what I'll concentrate on."

Everyone's a little bit sexist.

Thank you zomgname for the signature and avatar!