Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

So I am planning to return shortly to tor in this week and have a question

Hey,

So I am wondering if I will reach lvl 50 with my sentinel is it good idea to buy recruit gear at lvl 50 since they have nice stats and will be better then my gear at lvl 50.

Of course i will change them of the course of gameplay to pve items but i was wondering is it worth spending money on it since they are lvl 50 items and most of my gear probably will be lvl 40 or so.

Is it a good way to boost my character since probably buying all the epic lvl 50 mods will take some time.

So my question is that, is that better overall to buy recruit gear to give yourself that boost when you reach lvl 50 ?

Thanks for answers,

Seweryn

P.S.

Have a nice day

Deleted
    You will get a quest as soon as you reach level 50 with a toon that gives you free Recruit Gear, so it's free in the end.

If it's worth it? That depends on what you have on at the time of the ding... they have very low main stat for their level and I'm sure the mods and enchants alone from Correlia commendations can make a better PvE orange than them.
    Last edited by mmoc9f36a84b59; 2012-07-23 at 07:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Infighter View Post
    You will get a quest as soon as you reach level 50 with a toon that gives you free Recruit Gear, so it's free in the end.

If it's worth it? That depends on what you have on at the time of the ding... they have very low main stat for their level and I'm sure the mods and enchants alone from Correlia commendations can make a better PvE orange than them.
    Probably, but I am talking at the begining, in time i will change them to strict pve items.

Quote Originally Posted by Seweryn View Post
    Probably, but I am talking at the begining, in time i will change them to strict pve items.
    Recruit gear is a lot better than your levelling PVE gear and is required to start PVP, just get it. If you have some pre-50 WZ comms, use that to buy a weapon too.

Within a week of hitting 50 on my BH I was in orange gear with ilvl 53 mods, and crafted rakata bracers and belt, all of which were better than recruit gear. The only recruit gear I started with was implants, relics, and earpiece. I was using orange gear with up to date mods up to that point, and frankly recruit gear wasn't that much better, and was left behind once I started doing dailies and getting purples modifications to put in the orange gear.

So really, it just depends on how long you wanna wait. You can get 2 ilvl 53 armorings/hilts/barrels per day from dailies...possibly 3 if you do all 3 planets and the heroics for them(I skip Belsavis and I was still able to get the above in a week) in addition to stacks of credits which you can use to spend on ilvl 53 mods and enhancements(if the heroic rewards aren't the ones you want). If you're not planning on PvPing with the toon, I'd take the 320k, buy purple mods and enhancements for your orange gear(along with a couple pieces of recruits to fill out slots that aren't replaced as quickly, such as implants and relics), then do dailies for the armorings and barrels/hilts. That way, you'd have better PvE gear than recruit stuff in just a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Within a week of hitting 50 on my BH I was in orange gear with ilvl 53 mods, and crafted rakata bracers and belt, all of which were better than recruit gear. The only recruit gear I started with was implants, relics, and earpiece. I was using orange gear with up to date mods up to that point, and frankly recruit gear wasn't that much better, and was left behind once I started doing dailies and getting purples modifications to put in the orange gear.

So really, it just depends on how long you wanna wait. You can get 2 ilvl 53 armorings/hilts/barrels per day from dailies...possibly 3 if you do all 3 planets and the heroics for them(I skip Belsavis and I was still able to get the above in a week) in addition to stacks of credits which you can use to spend on ilvl 53 mods and enhancements(if the heroic rewards aren't the ones you want). If you're not planning on PvPing with the toon, I'd take the 320k, buy purple mods and enhancements for your orange gear(along with a couple pieces of recruits to fill out slots that aren't replaced as quickly, such as implants and relics), then do dailies for the armorings and barrels/hilts. That way, you'd have better PvE gear than recruit stuff in just a couple of days.
    Excellent advice here for the PVE-minded player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgann View Post
    Excellent advice here for the PVE-minded player.
    Yep, my main issue was that I didn't like the "look" of the endgame gear. Had some gear found on Hoth that really had that "Vader" look but it couldn't keep up in endgame. Did the look get better? Can you mod up the lower stuff to be competitive?
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Yep, my main issue was that I didn't like the "look" of the endgame gear. Had some gear found on Hoth that really had that "Vader" look but it couldn't keep up in endgame. Did the look get better? Can you mod up the lower stuff to be competitive?

Yep! I also really dislike the look of the end-game gear. Now because of the changes they have made in a few patches any gear you pick-up along the way is viable as endgame gear. The only downside at this point is that the Columi and Rakata set bonuses are tied to the shell not the armoring. However, the current content gear (Campaign) the set-bonuses is tied to the armoring so when you put that in a different piece you keep the bonuses and this will be true for all tiers moving forward.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with you on this one. My Campaign set looks HORRID. I don't understand how this remotely represented a Bounty Hunter, but I look like a scuba diver. You can grab any orange piece in the game and throw endgame mods into them- and with the recent Augment changes, you can now augment them giving ANY orange in the game the capability of being the best.

Now you can look how you want to look! Also, you can grab Purple gear and do it as well, but only if it allows the option of switching out armorings, mods, etc.

Depends on what the OP is trying to do. If they want to PvP getting the recruit gear is a must. Otherwise they can grab the ones that's an upgrade or just continue trying to get their PvP gear from flashpoints, quests, comms, etc.

They give you recruit gear for free when you hit 50 now. So you should absolutely get it. As long as you understand that it really is not very good and you should replace it ASAP, it is far better than leveling greens and can be a nice boost for a fresh 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcitement View Post
    Depends on what the OP is trying to do. If they want to PvP getting the recruit gear is a must.
    Well yeah, I specifically noted that if they DON'T plan to PvP, they'll be better off taking the cash and buying the few pieces of individual recruit they need. If he's gonna PvP of course he should get recruit.

And to the guy below who says recruit is better than leveling greens, you're right...except you should be leveling in custom gear, and if you keep your mods up to date, recruit gear WON'T be much better(if at all) for those 5 slots(not even counting the possibility of having custom belt/bracers here). So for a non-PvPer, the credits are a better choice, use them to buy the recruit implants/earpieces/other filler pieces then use the leftover creds to buy purple mods/enhancements for the custom stuff.

Do you seriously keep more than 2-3 pieces of orange gear up to date while you level? Any more than that is just not cost or time effective imo.

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Do you seriously keep more than 2-3 pieces of orange gear up to date while you level? Any more than that is just not cost or time effective imo.
    Umm, yeah? What the hell else are you spending planetary commendations on? My BH kept head, chest, legs, gloves, boots, and 2 blasters mostly up to date(sometimes a mod or something would fall a planet behind so it'd just be the first on I replaced) and didn't spend ANY money OR extra time doing it. Wasn't farming planet coms, was just using the armorings/barrels(and occasionally mods/enhancements) from quest rewards and using the commendations I got from regular questing for mods/enhancements. So...it has NO cost and takes NO extra time...remind me, how, exactly, that's not "cost or time effective"?

Yeah when you hit fifty there's a quest at the pvp kiosk that just gives you the full set. I used that and bought the pvp commendation weapon. It worked fine for regular lvl 50 dungeons. When I replaced a few pieces I moved to heroics. Never had an issue keeping up or anything.

Umm, yeah? What the hell else are you spending planetary commendations on? My BH kept head, chest, legs, gloves, boots, and 2 blasters mostly up to date(sometimes a mod or something would fall a planet behind so it'd just be the first on I replaced) and didn't spend ANY money OR extra time doing it. Wasn't farming planet coms, was just using the armorings/barrels(and occasionally mods/enhancements) from quest rewards and using the commendations I got from regular questing for mods/enhancements. So...it has NO cost and takes NO extra time...remind me, how, exactly, that's not "cost or time effective"?
    I do the same thing. Especially with the group finder you can get 5 extra coms of whatever planet is your level for doing one flashpoint a day. It really helps. At this point end up upgrading my companion I use the most this way too because I general end up with more coms than I need.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vader's a great look. But they'd double subscriptions with some 'Dark Helmet' gear.

Once it's custom gear you can. Hell you can rock BT/Esseles custom gear @ level 50 with level 50 mods and it be just as if you won the level 50 drop in a HM or WH stuff from PvP once you put those mods in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    Vader's a great look. But they'd double subscriptions with some 'Dark Helmet' gear.
    Would love some Dark Helmet gear. My Vader would be rocking with a tie.

Need Spaceballs helmets too.

Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would love some Dark Helmet gear. My Vader would be rocking with a tie.

Need Spaceballs helmets too.
    I love that you said 'helmets' because I'd join a guild and participate in Operations just to get the Dark Helmet Tatooine gear.