is that how the sPvP scoreboard is going to be at the release?

now i know that the scoreboard is an extremely trivial thing to bring up as a discussion, but one of the things i enjoy most about unranked PvP in games is (aside from winning) leading in kills, going without any deaths, topping in damage or healing, etc. being that gw2 has a major emphasis on pvp i thought that these would be stats available to see on the scoreboard during/after games.

i know im going to take some criticism here in regards to "its not all about kills & dmg! the objectives of the match are #1 priority!" and im not arguing that at all, but i think many people enjoy seeing how they square up against other players when it comes to those stats, especially when your trying to enjoy yourself and have fun in a noncompetitive, unranked game.

anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this?

To be honest I agree, whilst the point system is decent it also doesn't exactly help with knowing actually how many you killed/how many times you died.
    At this point it seems unlikely this would be introduced by launch, however, I do not think it would be hard to implement, whatsoever.

So hopefully soon they may introduce/alter this.
    Main: Vargox (Charr Engineer)
    Guild: Asinium - ASN is always recruiting! Launch day guild will be made and invites will be sent out and recruiting will commence on release.
    We are primarily an Aussie guild but are always recruiting anyone! Send me a message in game for an invite.
    Server: Sea of Sorrows (US)

I'd prefer that they do not show kills.

When i do BGs i prefer to have a team that isen't standing in the middle of nowhere just to get a bunch of kills.

Deleted
    Oh fuck .... we got John again in our team again ... he died 30 times in the previous game , giving 30(deaths***) x 5(points) = 150 points to the enemy team>>
    <<Get our u scrub Jonh!!! L2P >>

<<Why did u killsteal my exucute u moronic scrub , it was mine !!!! My kill on the chart !!! My prestige u fagot !!!>>
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-07-24 at 01:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Oh fuck .... we got John again in our team again ... he died 30 times in the previous game , giving 30(games) x 5(points) = 150 points to the enemy team>>

<<Why did u killsteal my exucute u moronic scrub , it was mine !!!! My kill on the chart !!! My prestige u fagot !!!>>
    As much as I hate your way of typing, this post made me smile.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

What Plzbegentle said.

I wouldn't mind having those statistics for my own benefit, but people would just abuse them in order to stroke their own ego.

Honestly, don't think it needs to change. I like it. Here's why; In this game, I don't need to know K/D ratios or any other data like that. For all I know that guy who died a bunch was holding off the enemy team from capping a point until reinforcements arrived... Since the scoreboard is about overall participation in the game, the people who do the most to further the goal of winning for the team will have the highest score. So the people who capture the most points, defend the most points, kill enemy players, and perhaps take out a "boss" mob or two will have the highest scores.

Honestly, the thing it needs more than that is the ability to save the game as a replay so I can rewatch it. This way I can see why I died, or why other team mates died, and what to tweak in my own gameplay to make myself a better player. This more than stats will make me be a better player. Not to mention all those stats do is to inflate pointless ego's and mouth off to people who are "baddies."

Oh fuck .... we got John again in our team again ... he died 30 times in the previous game , giving 30(deaths***) x 5(points) = 150 points to the enemy team>>

well i guess that may be the reaction from your stereotypical 12yr old CoD player, but im not sure why that is the go-to example for this, i sure hope they don't make up the majority of the gw2 player base.. but some of this can still happen with the current point system; example.. someone kills an enemy 100% to dead from ranged & is far from the body busy fighting other enemies a teammate goes over and does the "execute" while the one who actually killed him isn't within range for the points (i dont think the system is supposed to work like that, but i saw it plenty of times during this past beta weekend). But aside from specific scenarios, a more in-depth scoreboard allows players to see where they are compared to other players, examples:

damage - straight forward, how does my damage output compare to others?

healing - how much am i supporting myself & my teammates?

deaths - do i need to get better at choosing my battles / escaping?

bases assaulted/defended - am i effectively participating in accomplishing match objectives?

having these stats available allows you to compare them to other players & see where you stand in specific categories, rather than just a broad score that doesnt describe at all what you have done that game.

as far as ego stroking the same thing can happen with the current point system.. especially when there is no way to tell how anyone is obtaining their points. if ego is the issue we should expect to hear thing like "anyone can rack up pts base hopping" or people will farm "middle" to pull in pts, the same way they would kills. people are always going to find a way to boost/demean ego, unfortunately.

i kind of look at it like any sports game, of course you want your team to win & that is going to be your primary focus, but its nice to know how you did personally & where you need improvement. (inb4 "that wont be everyone's primary focus", regardless of what info a scoreboard contains, each player has his/her own playstyle, some are out to play the match the way its meant to in order to win & some are there just to release some stress & kill some enemies, having stats available wont change an entire mindset)

The "scoreboard" is unnecessary and honestly a negative aspect for spvp. It doesn't matter how much damage you did, how many kills you got, or how many times you died. Winning is a team effort. Support your teammates >> profit. Kill in mid, be a hindrance. Without those stats there is literally no benefit to doing anything other than the objectives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

From my experience (mostly in WoW, and some from SWToR), I would argue that damage meters are necessary to see who the scrubs are; and also so you can know whether you, yourself, are a scrub.

Appearing on top of damage / healing meters is in no way incompatible with winning. My experience through hundreds of battlegrounds played tells me that, if one side does decidedly more damage and healing, it wins. I have many winning screenshots where my side dominates the damage meters - even if it's just me and a couple of other people on top - but I have only a handful of winning screenshots where our damage is dominated by the other team. You can't exactly win when they're camping you at your graveyard.

Most of the time, if the other side dominates us with damage, we lose. Unless, of course, they really paid no attention to the objectives.

Being a huge BGer in WoW as well as playing FPS games for several years before it, I can honestly say that the scoreboard is very lacklustre (that's putting it very mildly). No record of "frags" or damage/healing done also hides some classes' OPness. I'm sure if this info was revealed we'd see classes doing really high healing and damage compared to other classes, and people would cry for nerfs then. Numbers don't lie though.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    Being a huge BGer in WoW as well as playing FPS games for several years before it, I can honestly say that the scoreboard is very lacklustre (that's putting it very mildly). No record of "frags" or damage/healing done also hides some classes' OPness. I'm sure if this info was revealed we'd see classes doing really high healing and damage compared to other classes, and people would cry for nerfs then. Numbers don't lie though.
    And that is a great reason not to have it. I've seen more games wrecked by whiners complaining about how much damage some class does on a damn BG scoreboard. Most of the time that info means jack crap but people act like it's the be all end all when it comes to balance.

I also was never a big fan of the dumbasses that eschew team goals for personal glory and like it or not, kill counts and damage/healing counts lead to that. I think immediately of one game I played in Huttball where a jedi sentinel on my team was running around attacking all the soft targets and totally ignoring the ball carrier. He was obviously going for high damage in the match and he won that going away but our team got beat 5-0. Now I know not all people do that but the simple fact of the matter is that if your stats aren't visible to all, it takes most of the incentive to play for personal glory away.

This falls in line with why they don't want actual names to be shown in WvWvW. They don't want PvP to be that personal. It's the same reason Starcraft 2 doesn't show how many games you've lost (except unless you're in masters I think?)

With the way it is now, I think it's fine. It stops idiots from not playing the objective, or at least doesn't reward it as much.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    The "scoreboard" is unnecessary and honestly a negative aspect for spvp. It doesn't matter how much damage you did, how many kills you got, or how many times you died. Winning is a team effort. Support your teammates >> profit.
    Do these individual stats matter in terms of the outcome of that particular game? no, not necessarily.. as Elodeon pointed out, these stats are often pretty good indicators of which team wins, and although i agree, i recognize that it isn't always the case.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Without those stats there is literally no benefit to doing anything other than the objectives.
    I'm not suggesting that players who top in kills, damage, etc. receive any sort of reward from leading in those stats, so you wouldn't really benefit (as far as glory, etc.) from it. However, if you were just saying that without the stats on the scoreboard players won't join games just to seek out combat/pvp & strictly kill enemies i would have to strongly disagree. Considering the game has a major emphasis on pvp it is going to draw many players that get enjoyment out of going toe to toe with other players and disregard game objectives all together, that's going to happen regardless of a scoreboard or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Spriggan View Post
    No record of "frags" or damage/healing done also hides some classes' OPness. I'm sure if this info was revealed we'd see classes doing really high healing and damage compared to other classes, and people would cry for nerfs then. Numbers don't lie though.
    best counter i've heard so far, probably because it's true and gives insight on arenanet's thinking. as a player, i would like to see this kind of info because it helps to see which prof are strongest in certain areas when creating team compositions for more competitive games, of course there are other & better ways of making these decisions lol, but yea i can totally see that being the reasoning
    Last edited by Avora; 2012-07-24 at 05:16 AM.

Deleted
    <<Numbers don't lie though>>

Numbers lie
    Compare a rdruid hots dominate the charts in a random bg , with a disc priest absorves (shields-mastery) that cannot be shown by that charts
    Now tell me , who can handle better the high spike damage

<<Numbers don't lie though>>

Numbers lie
    Compare a rdruid hots dominate the charts in a random bg , with a disc priest absorves (shields-mastery) that cannot be shown by that charts
    Now tell me , who can handle better the high spike damage
    Well its not so much that numbers lie, thats like saying guns kill people. But its just really easy to lie with numbers and obscure the truth.