Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Pre-purchase headstart question

How will the head-start client work? Will I need to download a new client. Will I need an extra code? And what time will the servers go up on the 25th?

And I got my prepurchase code from a pre-order. Will this cause an issue with my headstart? I was able to play beta.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm assuming the beta client will work for the release client but don't quote me on that. If not, I'm sure a new one will be prepped for the headstart (and launch for that matter) a week or two in advance.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    How will the head-start client work? Will I need to download a new client. Will I need an extra code? And what time will the servers go up on the 25th?

And I got my prepurchase code from a pre-order. Will this cause an issue with my headstart? I was able to play beta.
    It's the same client, just patched.
    Same code
    Don't know the exact time...prob same as betas.

check ur account and mail them on ur order status. They respond within like a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    It's the same client, just patched.
    Same code
    Don't know the exact time...prob same as betas.

check ur account and mail them on ur order status. They respond within like a day.
    Order status? You mean when I pick up the game I get a code to let them know I purchased it?

Kinda like wows authentication codes you get when you buy the game

Order status? You mean when I pick up the game I get a code to let them know I purchased it?

Kinda like wows authentication codes you get when you buy the game
    No......but you said prepurchase and preorder in the same sentence, which is a bit confusing. They're 2 difference payment methods that provide 2 different sets of benefits.
    prepurchase: 3 day headstart
    preorder: 1 day headstart

So I meant double check which you have.

I think it's safe to assume that because you played the beta you will get into head start.

They have also said that it will be the same client (I forget my source, possibly a tweet from one of the Devs)

No......but you said prepurchase and preorder in the same sentence, which is a bit confusing. They're 2 difference payment methods that provide 2 different sets of benefits.
    prepurchase: 3 day headstart
    preorder: 1 day headstart

So I meant double check which you have.
    I pre ordered the game and the guy gave me a pre-purchase code when I mentioned beta. I meant an activation code on official release so people don't walk away with a $5 dollar copy of the game.

Ya know those codes in the box?

I pre ordered the game and the guy gave me a pre-purchase code when I mentioned beta. I meant an activation code on official release so people don't walk away with a $5 dollar copy of the game.

Whoever gave you the pre-purchase code was a complete moron and could very well lose not only their job but unlikely-but-possibly the company's license as a whole.

I actually had a nice chat with my local GameStop when pre-purchase went live, and they ended up doing research and actually signing off/completely separating Pre-Purchase from Pre-Order (as well as having a "no-refund, talk to A-Net" policy). Which is something yours should have done. But didn't, because hey, morons.

That said, yes, codes given from retailers do require a second one, that's included in the box.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-07-24 at 12:33 AM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Whoever gave you the pre-purchase code was a complete moron and could very well lose not only their job but unlikely-but-possibly the company's license as a whole.

That said, yes, codes given from retailers do require a second one, that's included in the box.
    i didn't even know there was a difference on the purchasing of the game until I got home. But I will be heading to the gamestop on the 24th to finish my payment.

As for the second code. Because it's a requirement do you think it would be worth attending the midnight release?

Ok. Gotcha.
    Well, like I said technically pre-orders come with the 1 day headstart. If he gave you a genuine pre-purchase copy you should still be fine for the 3 day headstart.

You might want to check out the F&Qs here for exact details. It works differently depending on region and the edition you bought. The How does physical Pre-Purchase work? one is prob exactly what ur after.
    You'll likely just have to go back to the retailer with proof of purchase to get the box.
    Hope that helps.

Deleted
    well i would assume there will be a new client and i would assume 1-2 weeks in advance

i didn't even know there was a difference on the purchasing of the game until I got home. But I will be heading to the gamestop on the 24th to finish my payment.

As for the second code. Because it's a requirement do you think it would be worth attending the midnight release?
    You have a few days grace period (three, I think?) that your pre-purchase code that you have becomes invalid, so if you don't make hte midnight launch, or have a work whatever come up that day, you aren't really missing out and have your account locked instantly.

Once you add in your retail code, you're solid.

do you think it would be worth attending the midnight release?
    Nope, you have 5 days after release to put your code in. Wait longer than 5 days and your account is put on hold until you enter in the code.

Also, depending on where you live you don't even need a 2nd code.

U.S., Canadian, Australian, and New Zealand customers - When Guild Wars 2 launches, customers will need to return to the retailer with proof of purchase in order to receive the full Standard Edition box and the retail serial code. They'll need to apply this retail serial code to their Guild Wars 2 account within five days of launch to continue playing without interruption.
    Standard Edition (Europe)--Customers will buy the Standard Edition Pre-Purchase box and receive their serial code. This is the only serial code customers will receive and will grant access to the Beta Weekend Events, three-day Headstart Access, the Hero's Band digital item, and full access to the final live game. Customers will not need to return to the retailer to receive another serial code.

Quote Originally Posted by Onaturi View Post
    well i would assume there will be a new client and i would assume 1-2 weeks in advance
    Nope!

No new client at all. You're using the same one, just patched.

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 06:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Nope, you have 5 days after release to put your code in. Wait longer than 5 days and your account is put on hold until you enter in the code.

Also, depending on where you live you don't even need a 2nd code.
    I couldn't find the source to quote that! I was looking

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    ]I couldn't find the source to quote that! I was looking
    Da faq!! Daaa faaaaq!!!

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...q/#forty-seven

EDIT: Oh 5 days? than I guess I don't need to attend a midnight release. Which is good since I start college 9 days after.

Does the code come in the box I live in the US. NJ to be exact. Because I lost my receipt after I entered it for beta.
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-07-24 at 12:51 AM.

The code I entered said 3-day head start, heroes sash, and beta weekends so I think all I need is the box. A question im having is whether I will need to acquire a box code on the 28th to keep playing? If not I can pick up the game in the afternoon of the 28th.

But if so I may need to show up to the midnight release. Will the midnight show up be necessary or can I pick up the disk in the afternoon?
    You can pick up the disk in the afternoon, the next day, or any of the three days after that (all the way to September 2nd, if I can count right)

So you're good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anet has stated that the BWE3 client is the same as launch client. There will be a patch prior to launch but not a big one.

EDIT: Oh 5 days? than I guess I don't need to attend a midnight release. Which is good since I start college 9 days after.
    If ur not in Europe, you need to get the box.
    You don't need to get the midnight release.

If ur not in Europe, you need to get the box.
    You don't need to get the midnight release.
    So I can still play that morning and pick up the box later that day? Also the code I entered in beta means that my 3 day headstart is on record?