Thread: Cheap SSD

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Cheap SSD

Last edited by mmoc50cda6f559; 2012-07-25 at 02:57 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly you should be able to get a good reliable SATA III 60GB SSD for cheaper than a SATA II, since SATA IIIs are the ones that are actively being heavily manufactured. The most trusted and reliable brands to date so far have been Crucial, Samsung, and Intel.

Not 100% sure on current conversion, but here is one that is supposed to be pretty good, has 5 eggs out of 5, to boot!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167120

Should be able to find the same on your ebuyer website.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    thanks for the reply and info

found this one

http://www.ebuyer.com/362366-intel-6...sdsc2ct060a3k5

http://www.ebuyer.com/284724-ocz-90g...gt3-25sat3-90g

This one is slightly less reliable and slower but has more space if you want more space for the price. Otherwise the Intel 330 is good!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    http://www.ebuyer.com/284724-ocz-90g...gt3-25sat3-90g

This one is slightly less reliable and slower but has more space if you want more space for the price. Otherwise the Intel 330 is good!
    erk.

But chaaaaauuuuuudddd!! The Agility 3 is not only based on one of the most horrifying SandForce chips ever, it is also built to be cheaper in price. =/ >_< (I learned this all the hard way, but frankly I was easily able to return it because back then I didn't know it was a firmware issue, got myself a Crucial m4, never had a problem since.)
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewdrumpslap View Post
    Go with the M4. Trust me, it'll make the other two feel like snails, and it's far, far more stable than the Vertex Plus. The only Vertex SSDs you should consider are the Vertex 3 and Vertex 4, the latter being better at incompressible data (what most games use for their files). If you want an alternative that is relatively good, and using a modern controller, you might want to hold out just a bit for the Agility 4 series. OCZ is poised to both drop their prices noticeably soon, and make it more attractive as a lower cost version of the Vertex 4.

They're all shipping with the corrected firmware. Have been for a long time. Also they only recently dropped hard in price since their Agility 4 line line.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I myself use the Corsair Force GT and have no problems and loving it for the price it isnt bad at all.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233191

Crucial M4 <>Samsung 830 / Vertex 4 / Plextor M3..... and avoid the OCZ Vertex 3 and agility 3 like the plague

the first 4 use the marvell controller which has a proven reliability record , whereas the majority of the cheaper drives use the sadfarce SF-2281 which is renowned for its fragility

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    Crucial M4 <>Samsung 830 / Vertex 4 / Plextor M3..... and avoid the OCZ Vertex 3 and agility 3 like the plague

the first 4 use the marvell controller which has a proven reliability record , whereas the majority of the cheaper drives use the sadfarce SF-2281 which is renowned for its fragility
    Um. No.

The Vertex 4 uses an Indilinx Everest 2 controller, which is made entirely in-house at OCZ. (Read: not Marvell.)
    The Samsung 830s use a Samsung controller. (Read: not Marvell.)
    Only the Plextor 3 besides the Crucial m4 in your list uses a Marvell controller.

In the future, please double-check facts you aren't 100% sure on.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2012-07-25 at 10:53 AM.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Um. No.

The Vertex 4 uses an Indilinx Everest 2 controller, which is made entirely in-house at OCZ. (Read: not Marvell.)
    The Samsung 830s use a Samsung controller. (Read: not Marvell.)
    Only the Plextor 3 besides the Crucial m4 in your list uses a Marvell controller.
    Actually Deltrus, the Vertex 4 uses the new generation Marvell controller (bigger and faster brother of the M4's controller) the 88SS9187.
    The one that Crucial etc. use for their SSDs is the Marvell 88SS9174.

So Vertex 4 does use the Marvell controller, only fully developed by Indilinx (Firmware and controller specs).

I hate to tell you that Tanthalus is right about the Vertex 4, but unfortunately he is.
    It is however 1 of the very few times he's right, so he'll be enjoying this with glee.
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2012-07-25 at 11:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You did however, ignore the Samsung 830, so he was not 100% true.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I hate to tell you that Tanthalus is right about the Vertex 4, but unfortunately he is.
    It is however 1 of the very few times he's right, so he'll be enjoying this with glee.
    Hence the bolded part :P
    You should check his attempts of getting his right in the "Buying and SSD, will my motherboard support this drive." thread, it'd downright hilarious.

This is why he'll milk his right against your wrong for weeks

i just noticed this ssd on new egg with 55 off it is a very nice price but only for today

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...m-_-20-239-045
    Intel i7 2600k | NZXT Havik 140 | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 3x Liyama E2407HDS(5760x1080) | Intel 520 Series 120GB
    2x EVGA GTX 690 SC Signature 4096MB in SLI | 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 | CoolMaster HAF X

15+ Year Old Account
    Alright now, back on topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I suppose then, OCZ moved onto Marvell and learned their lesson, great, now let's see if they take care of it like Crucial has the m4. Crucial has made it more stable (as if it wasn't stable lol), sucked out more performance, and solved the 5000~ hour problem so damn fast, it's amazing.
    "A flower.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudejoss View Post
    i just noticed this ssd on new egg with 55 off it is a very nice price but only for today

While I'm here, no. SandForce is horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudejoss View Post

Frankly, as much as I love Kingston as a brand and a lot of their products, that drive uses SandForce 2281, which scares me.
    "A flower.

While I'm here, no. SandForce is horrible.
    After the introduction of the SF-2000 series controller, a few customers using drives with that controller reported issues such as BSOD and freezing. In early June 2011, Corsair Memory issued a recall on the 120 GB Force 3 with specific serial numbers, but not on any other Force 3 drive with a SandForce SF-2000 controller, therefore that recall does not appear to be related to the controller.[17] In October, 2011, SandForce sent out firmware updates through their manufacturing partners such as OCZ that fixed the reported issue. --wikipedia

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cmdrcod View Post
    After the introduction of the SF-2000 series controller, a few customers using drives with that controller reported issues such as BSOD and freezing. In early June 2011, Corsair Memory issued a recall on the 120 GB Force 3 with specific serial numbers, but not on any other Force 3 drive with a SandForce SF-2000 controller, therefore that recall does not appear to be related to the controller.[17] In October, 2011, SandForce sent out firmware updates through their manufacturing partners such as OCZ that fixed the reported issue. --wikipedia
    Frankly though, one bad experience can turn people off from something for good. SandForce was a very bad experience. And... when one could back then get a Crucial m4 drive for cheaper than even the OCZ Agility 3? Why not?

I'm happy I switched and have no intention to touch SandForce again, don't care if they "fixed" the issues, all SF is about is SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEED and not reliability.
    "A flower.