Thread: BOTS in GW2

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

BOTS in GW2

I was talking to a friend who hasn't played any of BWE yet but is keen on the game. One thing that used to annoy him in WoW was the ridiculous amounts of Bots running around and especially in BG's. I even played in a 10man game where I was the only non bot on my team. It completely ruins the fun.

What do you guys think about how the Bot situation will be like in GW2.

I think because you have 6 types of currency it may be difficult for bots also only items seem interchangeable which may deter them more.

Also what was it like in GW1? did Anet do a good job at clearing them out?

discuss...

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there'll be much point to bots in this game. O_o

You can't buy power with any form of currency, after all, so is there really that much incentive?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

It's kind of pointless.

The only reason for a bot I can think of would be gathering crafting materials to sell, and then using that money on the BLTC. Also, don't ignore the fact that the complexity of GW2 combat will make bots very weak. In WoW a bot might just attack, use a couple abilities, and mob dies. Can't really do that with GW2. Maybe with a single normal mob, but otherwise no.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-07-25 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    I was talking to a friend who hasn't played any of BWE yet but is keen on the game. One thing that used to annoy him in WoW was the ridiculous amounts of Bots running around and especially in BG's. I even played in a 10man game where I was the only non bot on my team. It completely ruins the fun.

What do you guys think about how the Bot situation will be like in GW2.

I think because you have 6 types of currency it may be difficult for bots also only items seem interchangeable which may deter them more.

Also what was it like in GW1? did Anet do a good job at clearing them out?

discuss...
    Not sure in GW1, but with the way DE's, questing, and such work in GW2 having a bot program run you through everything is very very unlikely. DE's are not programmed like quests, where everything is static, but differ depending on many things about what's going on around you.

The only bots we might see would be grind mob bots, which is a stupid idea since mobs give you such low exp it shouldn't even be in game. Bots also can't predict when to use dodge, and they might be able to heal but heal is on a such a huge CD that if you don't dodge/evade attacks you're going to die in higher levels regardless. It's also about 7-10 Exp per normal mob and would be grinding for about 12 or more hours just to get one level, and a little bit more for vets, most champ mobs are from DE's and boss level mobs are not common and only from the rare events that occur.
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-07-25 at 06:06 AM.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha, there's also the fact that it's going to be damn near impossible to program a bot to successfully survive while also grinding gathering nodes.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also think the gameplay itself wouldn't be too welcoming for gold farmers, Normal mobs in this game aren't like your typical MMO mobs who you can kill in half a second because your gear is insanely powerful, alot of the wandering mobs in the world require you to weapon swap and dodge, especially if there's more than one of them fighting you.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Ha, there's also the fact that it's going to be damn near impossible to program a bot to successfully survive while also grinding gathering nodes.
    Not to mention the sheer randomness and what you need for a DE to be activated.

I can see people botting their way to the highest Glory ranks.

It's not really the Bot friendliest game but I'm sure there will be some.

---------- Post added 2012-07-25 at 12:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xista View Post
    I can see people botting their way to the highest Glory ranks.
    Which does what exactly for them?

In GW1 there were bots (I remember going to Granite Citadel and seeing bots running into Tasca's Demise, way back when), but they were great about detecting and purging bots, with notifications shortly after the bans occurred. Tasca's Demise led to Mineral Springs, which was a common farming spot for the Icy Dragon Sword, which I suspect was the reason for that bot location.
    That said, in GW2 what are you going to farm/bot? DE's and even mobs will relatively hard to bot (not saying impossible mind you), and I doubt there will be any farmable incentive like the IDS (or FDS) to make it worthwhile. You might be able to farm gathering nodes, but as those will be surrounded by mobs it'll make it more difficult, and unlike WoW gather nodes aren't competitive so it doesn't make much of a difference.

Basically, while it might be possible, they'll be detected, and there's not much motivation to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    It's not really the Bot friendliest game but I'm sure there will be some.

---------- Post added 2012-07-25 at 12:10 AM ----------

Which does what exactly for them?
    Gives them better looking gear, that's about it. Can't grind your way to have better gear and be above everyone in terms of pvp tier like other games. You bot to PvP max level, you're still going to suck skill wise to people who grinded it up themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Gives them better looking gear, that's about it. Can't grind your way to have better gear and be above everyone in terms of pvp tier like other games. You bot to PvP max level, you're still going to suck skill wise to people who grinded it up themselves.
    That's what I mean. It will do nothing for them unless all they care about is the fancy looking pvp armor.

And glory carries over to all your characters, same with gear acquired. So there's no point in botting for an alt.

well botting for karma doesnt really get you anywhere as karma items are not tradeable. the only thing you could do is buy salvage kits with karma and salvage any items you looted and put the mats up on the AH which everyone will already be doing.

They could bot the many nodes around tyria but its not like someone couldnt also spend hrs on a map farming nodes i mean i did the 2nd beta weekend just ran around farming for at least 2 hours. Sure they could do it till till the filled up their collectable tab (pretty sure it has a limit) and then they would have to stop and sell all the items.

There might be bots for gathering stuff, using maphacks. But actually farming mobs seems far less likely considering how easy you can die if you dont pay attention and kite/CC/dodge.

Dont think itll be a big problem in Gw2.

Oh, just to get this out there, the resource nodes are phased for each person. All a bot would do is cause inflation, they wouldn't take away the resources from other players (just your profit from selling them)

As stated before, expect it to be a major problem because of GW2's EXP farming being the "end game". That means that most people will do the same thing they did in GW1: find the best route for farm, set the behavioural patterns to farm like that and just set their favourite automating software to run it.

If anything, it will actually be easier then botting GW1, because in GW1 you needed only certain materials. In GW2, you just need to grind EXP. HUGE amounts of it.

DE's are not programmed like quests, where everything is static, but differ depending on many things about what's going on around you.
    Once you have an average timer for the DE resets, than you could get a bot working for DEs... Let's take the DE with the Centaurs in the second human zone as an example. Camp/bridge are attacked -> attack back kill 3 chieftains -> kill big bad guy. DE reset instantly with enough players around.

The only bots we might see would be grind mob bots,
    Gatherbots.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    It's kind of pointless.

The only reason for a bot I can think of would be gathering crafting materials to sell, and then using that money on the BLTC. Also, don't ignore the fact that the complexity of GW2 combat will make bots very weak. In WoW a bot might just attack, use a couple abilities, and mob dies. Can't really do that with GW2. Maybe with a single normal mob, but otherwise no.
    umm ... no?

there are bots for WoW that can execute perfect boss mechanics. so much so that i know some people who use bots on bosses like morchok, yorsahj and ultrax cuz they're boring as hell.

seriously if you think bots can only use 1 or 2 skills, you're mistaken. botting has advanced far and beyond, you can even use bots to heal for you using targetted spells where they'll snipe heals people who are on 20-30% life before anyone while using a basic aoe rotation. as a resto shaman it used to keep ES on a target when ES was no longer present, it would keep WS up on self, would use RT on the lowest hp raid member on CD and would keep up HR. if all of the following were present/on cd/ "true", it would cast CH.

pretty spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    It's kind of pointless.

The combat isn't that huge of a jump in innovation that you can't figure out a bot for it. Would be a little tougher then a WoW bot but not by much really, as most bots are not made to solo super hard content, they are made to farm lower level mobs en masse to get money/supplies and such.