Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Heh. Norn are my favorite race as well. Anyway, I really think the way they have their cutscenes is doing them no favors. It really acerbates the cheesy dialogue and typical poor mmo writing.
    As I said, I enjoyed them a bit more once I thought of it as a cheesy low budget film. The cutscenes just really fit that genre of thought cheeseeeee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    I'm in the exact same spot as you. I love the norn lore but GEEEEEE BAD VOICE ACTING GALORE T_T It makes me cringe.
    Hahaha! This so much. I made a Norn Ranger, did the story up to the great hunt where you killed the worm and went, "Yikes. I've heard enough. Byebye now" and immediately deleted and made a buffed up human girl instead. Not sure if it gets better in quality, but I'd heard enough to know I didn't want to hear THAT anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    Back in Molten Core in Vanilla, about 20 people up and the rest still being ressed. Cidet, our rogue, goes in stealth and moves up to Ragnaros. About 5 seconds later, Ragnaros aggroes and starts killing all of us again. Everyone is pissed and I whisper Cidet "wtf happened?!". All he replies me is...

"Target has no pockets"

10+ Year Old Account
    I really liked the commoner human circus story. I actually cared of the Choices i have to made. Depends maybe on the story you choose (or i'm just weird ).

Well one thing I do like about the personal story is that there are certain points in the story where you have some choices, and those choices really do make difference in the direction that the story takes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeryana View Post
    Hahaha! This so much. I made a Norn Ranger, did the story up to the great hunt where you killed the worm and went, "Yikes. I've heard enough. Byebye now" and immediately deleted and made a buffed up human girl instead. Not sure if it gets better in quality, but I'd heard enough to know I didn't want to hear THAT anymore.
    I particularly liked when My character is going on about how Sons of wtv really suck, and Eir tells her off. My character answers with the following: 'I'm not underestimating them, I'm insulting them'. That made me decide that despite the voice acting, I needed a FNorn because they are funny.

Deleted
    Coming off SW:TOR my expectations were far too high, it took a while for me to settle down and realise the game wasn't aiming for an enthralling, story-driven experience, but even then it felt somewhat lack luster. Who knows, it was just beta after all and I don't wanna be saying too much until the game actually comes out and I get a change to play more stories and whatnot.

Deleted
    I have to agree with this: storytelling and voice-acting really are the two points I disliked the most.

To be honest, though, the only MMO that made me care about the story 'till now has been SWTOR, which also had top-notch voice acting for the most part. I just don't think that most developers actually make an extreme amount of effort into developing a story and just go for basic medieval fantasy.

My opinion on GW2's story could be totally rushed, since I only played the first 20 levels of the human story, so take it with a grant of salt.

Well I don't know if the writing in SWTOR is all that much different than GW2 in quality but the voice acting is a lot superior for sure. That makes all the difference in this kind of medium I think.

Deleted
    I had personal issues with the SWTOR stories and constant cutscenes. I understand why some would like it.
    I think some personal stories in GW2 are better than others, and I really only think the VO is horrible in the Norn. Sylvari, Asura and even Humans were fine to me.

The little that I did of the Sylvari story I thought was quite nice, well at least in comparison to the others.

10+ Year Old Account
    I quite enjoy the spectacle and overall plot, but the story within is nothing to write home about.
    Still, I found myself actually caring about a few of the characters even though they were rather shoddily written, so that's something.
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

I don't mind the story being bad since I focus on PvP. I've never found the majority of early(or late really)WoW quests to be very interesting, despite being a loremaster/seeker for years, from a story PoV. The first char I made was an undead lock/mage and I didn't mind mindless tasks like killing mindless zombies(pun intended) since I could try out the various abilties + I was in shock-mode for a long time after first playing WoW(because I found the environments so stunning).

I guess if they've got stunning environments in GW2 I won't mind "bad" stories either
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

@OP the reason ur dissappointed in the personal story so far is that the first part of the story focuses on you and your races personal issues. Go read Jeff Grubbs blog on the Anet page. It says how the story will evolve into a world struggle against zhaitan and his forces the deeper you get in the story.

Never expected much from the personal story, never cared much either as its to much of the old way of questing. Where you run to a specific person and he tells you to go to a specific area. Didnt appeal much to me anymore.
    Its not a completely awefull story from what ive done, but i wouldnt put it on par with SWToR which imo had some pretty good story lines. Albeit fairly linear.

It might get better later on, but i still doubt itll be a strong part of the game. But im open to a pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallanna View Post
    I particularly liked when My character is going on about how Sons of wtv really suck, and Eir tells her off. My character answers with the following: 'I'm not underestimating them, I'm insulting them'. That made me decide that despite the voice acting, I needed a FNorn because they are funny.
    Hahaha. Okay, now I regret throwing in the towel so easily. I'll roll a bunch of norns when live hits. Love the look of the race, but the voice acting was much off putting. You can just turn the voice volume down in this, right..?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    Back in Molten Core in Vanilla, about 20 people up and the rest still being ressed. Cidet, our rogue, goes in stealth and moves up to Ragnaros. About 5 seconds later, Ragnaros aggroes and starts killing all of us again. Everyone is pissed and I whisper Cidet "wtf happened?!". All he replies me is...

"Target has no pockets"

i have only done some iron legion charr story and i liked it actually but well i havent got any overhyped hopes that starting story for all races and choices you make at the start was going to be anything epic :P i will wait until i get to the point when stories merge and take main path before i judge anything :P

The story is very much filler. It's not great, it's not terrible, it's something you listen to and just forget afterwards. What bothers me most is the voice acting. None of the races sound like they should (imo). Charrs don't sound like manbeasts, Norns don't have any discernible accent, they just sound scruffier, humans are whatever, Asura sound like human. Sylvari are the only ones that stood out to me, and mainly because they have an accent. I love when different races have different dialects, it really creates immersion. All of the VERY different races sounding extremely similar ruins immersion a bit for me.

But then they launch a cow out of a catapult and I'm reimmersed.

I found the Sylvari personal story was on a whole other level than the Human.

The sub-par story is just more incentive for me to level in PVP.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    The story is very much filler. It's not great, it's not terrible, it's something you listen to and just forget afterwards. What bothers me most is the voice acting. None of the races sound like they should (imo). Charrs don't sound like manbeasts, Norns don't have any discernible accent, they just sound scruffier, humans are whatever, Asura sound like human. Sylvari are the only ones that stood out to me, and mainly because they have an accent. I love when different races have different dialects, it really creates immersion. All of the VERY different races sounding extremely similar ruins immersion a bit for me.

But then they launch a cow out of a catapult and I'm reimmersed.
    I had a tough time with the norn female voice during the first BWE. I'm not sure if this was intentional but my character's voice actor seemed like she was trying to sound like she had a deeper voice then she naturally did. I'm not sure if this was done with editing or if the actor did it herself. It was cringe-worthy when combined with her cheesy dialogue. I haven't played a norn since then.