Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    yeah I have a similar problem when playing pc games. I played through infamous on ps3 the other week and managed to mostly just play the game without distractions.

i'll be playing a game and then i'll be like "i should alt tab and check mmo-champ and some other stuff" every like 15 minutes.
    I have been forcing myself not to do that lately and not regretting it (played through deus ex hr pretty quickly, going through fable 3 decently focused as well even though the game is kinda meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    yeah I have a similar problem when playing pc games. I played through infamous on ps3 the other week and managed to mostly just play the game without distractions.

i'll be playing a game and then i'll be like "i should alt tab and check mmo-champ and some other stuff" every like 15 minutes.
    I have been forcing myself not to do that lately and not regretting it (played through deus ex hr pretty quickly, going through fable 3 decently focused as well even though the game is kinda meh.
    I'll try that next time I play fallout new vegas. Hopefully it's as effective as it is for you. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Diagnosed with ADD i can hardly play any game more than 30mins before i get the urge to alt tab or do something else. I rarely get "sucked" into the game world and play for hours these days. Hoping MoP will let me experience that again.
    Yeah I'm not that extreme. But maybe we're all a little ADD eh?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember reading a fairly factual scientific report about the modern day attention span problem of the average computer user, specifically internet users. Unfortunately my computer has taken a big crap since then and I lost all my bookmarks >.> but I invite you all to google "internet decreased attention span" and draw your own conclusions from there. Lots of opinion pieces, some I believe are based on the same article i read once upon a time.

Do it now! Before you forget again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have problems playing PC games too, but it is not because of a "facebook adiction" or something like that, but playing on a keyboard + mouse is really unconfortable for me. The distance between the chair and the monitor is also a problem. (I always hear people saying "buy a wireless keyboard and sit on a couch", but I never saw a single friend of mine doing that... ). Now that I have a Xbox pad that I use on my PC, so I'm playing PC games more often. (I started Assassin Creed 2, but the game is terrible... not I'm playing Splinter Cell Conviction, awesome game.)

I hope Guild Wars 2 works on pad, or I'll probably won't play it. I'm almost giving up on DotA 2.

I have had similar problems with games, but it helped somewhat to never ragequit to a hard part, just get it done and dont try the next part before you feel like playing again.
    | Ryzen R7 5800X | Radeon RX 6800 |

10+ Year Old Account
    I can understand where you are coming from. I have sooo many games I want to play/finish and yet I always find myself drawn back into the online games that I'm playing (the GW2s and the Smites out there).

I tried to sit down and play some of my old console games a few weeks ago and even bought a few cheap copies of some I'd wanted forever, and then found I couldn't play them without ending up back at the computer. It's sad because even NOW I want to play stuff like Dark Cloud 2 and Skies of Arcadia (I love those games sooo much) but I just...can't get myself to come back.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

Quote Originally Posted by BananaInsane View Post
    Yeah I'm not that extreme. But maybe we're all a little ADD eh?
    I dunno tough call. I can't read anything longer than a magazine article. I haven't read an actual book in forever. In fact, I can't even think of a real book (more than 50 pages) that I've ever completed. Do I qualify for ADHD ? Maybe, it seems any and everyone gets that labeled slapped on them. The flip side for me is, Video games have always satisfied my need to constant mental\visual stimulation.

If I enjoy a game, I have no problems sinking hours into it. Like many people, I go into zombie state sometimes and 2-3 hours will just disappear. RTS games are by far the genres of games in which I lose 2-3 hours in what feels like a blink of an eye. Of course, if the game just isn't that fun, but I want to finish it, just for the story, I find myself easily distracted and doing other things.

There was a interesting read in Newsweek in last week edition called iCrazy. It seems internet addiction is proving to be more real than original thought and that there are more signs pointing to the Tweeter\Facebook\gaming phenom also causing more cases of ADD to pop-up.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2012-07-26 at 04:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I dunno tough call. I can't read anything longer than a magazine article. I haven't read an actual book in forever. In fact, I can't even think of a real book (more than 50 pages) that I've ever completed. Do I qualify for ADHD ? Maybe, it seems any and everyone gets that labeled slapped on them. The flip side for me is, Video games have always satisfied my need to constant mental\visual stimulation.

If I enjoy a game, I have no problems sinking hours into it. Like many people, I go into zombie state sometimes and 2-3 hours will just disappear. RTS games are by far the genres of games in which I lose 2-3 hours in what feels like a blink of an eye. Of course, if the game just isn't that fun, but I want to finish it, just for the story, I find myself easily distracted and doing other things.

There was a interesting read in Newsweek in last week edition called iCrazy. It seems internet addiction is proving to be more real than original thought and that there are more signs pointing to the Tweeter\Facebook\gaming phenom also causing more cases of ADD to pop-up.
    Interesting. And yeah playing an RTS can be a big time sink. I have never played Dawn of War for less than an hour.

It is actually. I find games much easier to get into on the Xbox. I had a fair number of titles that I just didn't get into on the PC. Even Half Life 2 remained unfinished on PC, and I really did enjoy that game. I just found it that bit more immersive on the 360.

Keyboard and mouse is a barrier for me, and many games just feel awkward on it. Would probably help if there was a "standard" joypad that everyone would add an option for in their games.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Keyboard and mouse is a barrier for me, and many games just feel awkward on it. Would probably help if there was a "standard" joypad that everyone would add an option for in their games.
    That's just down right funny to me. With the exception of some games, mainly racing games, maybe some sports\fighting games. Joypads are just horribly inaccuate devices. I still don't understand how anyone can enjoy CoD, Halo or any FPS game on a console. I was fairly frustrated trying to play the Gears of War series. Gamepads are just so inaccurate and lack the precision of a mouse. Rudders are made by the DEVIL !

I tip my hat to people who manage to have really good aim with gamepads, I don't know how they do it. My Son plays a fair amount of CoD on the PS3. He tried to play Battlefield 3 on the PC, after an hour he declared BF3 too hard and went back to CoD. I thought he might fall in love with playing a FPS with a mouse and having better aim, but I guess if it's foreign to you, it's foreign to you. Of course, I'm willing to accept that BF3 is just harder than CoD.

You know a fair number of newer games, especially if they are Game for Windows tend to have support for the Xbox controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get so distracted playing games on the computer. Any time there's a break or pause in the action I find myself alt-tabbing to load up Facebook or MMO-Champion here. It's even worse because I have multiple monitors. Consoles didn't really have that problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Keyboard and mouse is a barrier for me, and many games just feel awkward on it.
    Even after 3 years with the PC as my primary platform, I've still never felt entirely comfortable with a mouse and keyboard setup. Hell, I don't even use WASD when I play MMORPGs unless I absolutely have to. I plug in an XBOX controller for literally every game that it's practical to do so with.
    Last edited by insmek; 2012-07-26 at 07:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    I had this issue with Skyrim. I liked the game, I just couldn't really get into it much. Then when I got stuck in between some rocks while exploring and couldn't get out (and I hadn't saved for a bit), I stopped playing entirely.
    Next time, just use the no clip cheat.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/C...s_%28Skyrim%29

Saved my ass a few hours of game time once or twice.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    I had this issue with Skyrim. I liked the game, I just couldn't really get into it much. Then when I got stuck in between some rocks while exploring and couldn't get out (and I hadn't saved for a bit), I stopped playing entirely.
    That happend on a console game called Brutal Legend. I was quite far into the game and I got stuck on like the edge of something and fell through the world. Hadn't saved for awhile either so I just gave up right there, though I will probably pick it up again one day because that game was amazing.